Thumbs Up    
November Review Dinner?? Due Monday, 11/14/16

With the holidays coming up we’ll be having a lot of rich, filling food, but we still have to eat between then and now…so, how about a nice chicken dinner for our review??
From the new issue #120 (and I got to Blane before he made it!!) Do these dates work for everyone??

Roasted Chicken thighs with Olives & Lemon
For the best flavor, use bone-in, skin-on thighs. Coat them with a simple herbed butter to yield crispy skin and some dynamite
drippings. Roast the chicken with fresh lemon and briny olives to amp up the flavor, then serve it with a quick cheesy farro side
made with spinach to complement the entrée. Makes 4 servings (8 thighs) Look for 5–6 ounce chicken thighs for this recipe. Larger thighs will need to cook longer and may not fit in a 3-quart baking dish.
The olives and lemon just need to be heated through, so add them to the dish in the last 15 minutes.

COMBINE:
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp. each minced fresh garlic and kosher salt
1/2 tsp. each paprika and black pepper
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (5–6 oz. each), trimmed

ADD:
1/3 cup each pitted kalamata olives and pimento-stuffed green olives
1 lemon, cut into eighths
Fresh oregano sprigs

Preheat oven to 400°.

Combine butter, oil, chopped oregano, garlic, salt, paprika, and pepper. Place thighs skin side up in a 3-qt. baking dish; spread butter mixture over skin. Roast thighs 30 minutes.

Add olives and lemon to dish and roast thighs until skin is crisp and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°, 15 minutes more. Serve thighs with lemons, olives, and drippings; garnish with oregano sprigs.

Farro with spinach & parmesan
It might seem like a lot of spinach, but as it cooks it will wilt down.
Makes 4 servings (4 cups) Total time: 30 minutes

HEAT:
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
11/2 cups dry pearled or semi-pearled farro
1 Tbsp. minced shallots
1/2 cup dry white wine
21/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

TOSS IN:
5 oz. fresh spinach, stems removed (8 cups)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Salt and black pepper to taste

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium. Add farro and shallots and cook until farro is toasted, 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with wine
and cook until absorbed, 1 minute.
Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to mediumlow and simmer until broth is absorbed and farro is tender, about 25 minutes.

Toss in spinach with tongs until wilted. Stir in Parmesan and season farro with salt and pepper

There are all kinds of desserts offered in this issue, but I’m not going there…feel free. BUT, I am going to make Cinnamon-Cocoa Babka sometime in the next few weeks.

Anyone else in???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

November Review Dinner?? Due Monday, 11/14/16 cjs [size=small][color=#...
I am not real keen about olives, although William is.  But I have found I do like black olives in certain dishes.  Would that be too far off?  And I think I have enjoyed kalamato olives, but hate pitting them. But now that I have access to better grocery stores, I may be able to get pitted olives.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Sounds good to me.   The chicken is similar to what I made last night.  But I'll go on record now by saying instead of thighs I will use a 1/2 chicken (Sprouts sells them cut this way) so I can have my wing, Tony can have his drumstick and we can split the breast and thigh.

Thanks Jean!
Welcome, I'll probably use different pieces, too.

Daphne - if you can't find pitted Kalamatas (which even I'm able to get everywhere now) - pitting them is very easy if you hit the olive with the side of a chef's knife. They break up and you can easily remove the pit. Also, do you dislike the taste of eating those olives or the entire flavor? Like for me, I don't like to eat anchovies, but I do love the flavor they impart. So, with olives if you kept the chunks large enough to push aside when eating the dish? They do give a nice flavor to dishes. Just a thought.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

RE: November Review Dinner?? Due Monday, 11/14/16 cjs Welcome, I'll probab...
Sounds good to me and I will be using thighs because we love them. Not sure that Ron will take to the olives in the dish, but if he doesn't, he will just pick them out.

Glad we are doing a review dinner. I've missed doing them as a group.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
This is really similar to a dish from the October Food & Wine.  I love the idea of the side and found some barley from Europe that I can eat.    

The F&W version  has Castelvetrano olives and marinated artichoke hearts.  

Count us in - we are starting to love chicken thighs.  I haven't been able to play  with you all in a long time.  I'll have more time this winter.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

RE: November Review Dinner?? Due Monday, 11/14/16 Harborwitch This is really simil...
That dish sounds really tasty, Sharon. Castelvetrano are my favorite olives and of course, who doesn't love artichokes.

Glad you are going to have more time to play! Big Grin
Maryann

RE: November Review Dinner?? Due Monday, 11/14/16 Mare749 That dish sounds rea...
I've missed having that time.  I'm hoping that this  next season will be easier.   

One of the interesting things about the F&W recipe is that it uses a bit of fish sauce.  I've tried it in a couple of other dishes and it does make a difference, a bit of Umami.

RE: November Review Dinner?? Due Monday, 11/14/16 Harborwitch I've missed having t...
Isn't that an interesting surprise, Sharon? I tried that one day when I didn't have anchovies to put into a dish and was pretty happy with the result.
Maryann

RE: November Review Dinner?? Due Monday, 11/14/16 Harborwitch I've missed having t...
I used some in a mushroom barley soup . . . it was wonderful!
November Review Dinner?? Due Monday, 11/14/16