Did anyone else get this recipe in a newsletter?  I had saved it then forgot to read it until today.  I would probably make this into a sandwich loaf for hot sandwiches with gravy. Sounds so good!

HARVEST STUFFING BREAD

3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons instant or active dry yeast
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, onion powder, parsley, sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, pepper, and salt.
In a small saucepan (or in the microwave), heat the milk, water, and butter until very warm but not hot. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Mix by hand, or on medium speed with a stand mixer, for about 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining cup of flour, and mix well.
Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the temperature of your kitchen).
If you want to bake a round boule-shaped loaf, place the dough in a greased 1 1/2-quart Dutch oven, and bake immediately. If you want to bake them as rolls, divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place in a lightly greased 9 inch round pan; let the rolls rise until puffy, about 30 minutes.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F.
Brush the loaf or rolls with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with celery seed and flaky sea salt (optional). Bake for 35 minutes for the loaf, or about 25-30 minutes for the rolls. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Harvest Stuffing Bread Mare749 Did anyone else get ...
Oh, don't these sound good!    copied!! Thanks Maryann.

AND, I just ran across a knock off recipe for a bread that Outback restaurants serve which we just love and what a  good place to add it - o.k. to hijack, Maryann??

BREAD - Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread  - SOON
[Image: xctmpATORcG_zpspsyken6d.png]
Along with your meal at this huge national steakhouse chain, comes a freshly baked loaf of dark, sweet bread, served on its own cutting board with soft whipped butter. One distinctive feature of the bread is its color. How does the bread get so dark? Even though this recipe includes molasses and cocoa, these ingredients alone will not give the bread its dark chocolate brown color. Commercially produced breads that are this dark—such as pumpernickel or dark bran muffins–often contain caramel color, an ingredient used to darken foods. Since your local supermarket will not likely have this mostly commercial ingredient, we'll create the brown coloring from a mixture of three easy-to-find food colorings—red, yellow and blue. If you decide to leave the color out, just add an additional 1 tablespoon of warm water to the recipe. If you have a bread machine, you can use it for kneading the bread (you'll find the order in which to add the ingredients to your machine in "Tidbits"). Then, to finish the bread, divide and roll the dough in cornmeal, and bake.

Dough
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tsp granulated sugar
2 1/4 tsp (1 pkg.) yeast
2 cups bread flour
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbs cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs molasses
-------
Coloring
1 1/4 tsp red food coloring
1 tsp yellow food coloring
1 tsp blue food coloring
Cornmeal for dusting

1. Mix sugar with warm water, then dissolve the yeast in the solution. In five minutes the solution will begin to foam as the yeast wakes up.

2. While the yeast is coming around, mix the flours, cocoa, and salt in a large bowl. Mix the butter into the dry mixture with your hands. Make an impression in the middle of the dry mixture.

3. Add the honey and molasses into the well. Mix the food coloring with the yeast solution, then pour the solution into the well.

4. Stir from the middle bringing the dry mixture into the wet stuff, slowly at first, then quickly as you incorporate all the ingredients.

5. You will eventually have to use your hands to combine everything.

6. Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface, then roll the dough into a ball and place it into a covered bowl in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until it has doubled in size.

7. When the dough has doubled, separate it into 6 even portions. Roll each dough portion into logs that are 6 inches long and 2 inches wide.

8. Pour the cornmeal onto your rolling surface. Moisten your hands then rub water onto each dough log and roll it in the cornmeal. Arrange the rolled dough on a baking sheet and cover it with plastic wrap. Set the dough in a warm spot to rise for another hour or so until the loaves have doubled in size.

9. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover the dough and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes in the hot oven. When the bread is done, take it out of the oven and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve the bread with a sharp bread knife and butter on the side. If you want whipped butter, like you get at the restaurant, just use an electric mixer on high speed to whip some butter until it's fluffy.

Yield: Makes 6 small loaves.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2 by Todd Wilbur.

Author Notes
Tidbits: If you'd like to use a bread machine to knead the dough, add the ingredients in the following order: mix the food coloring with the water, then add the colored water to the bread pan followed by the flours, sugar, salt, butter, cocoa, honey, molasses, and yeast. Set the machine to knead and walk away. When the dough's done kneading and rising, go to step #3 of this recipe and take it from there.

-----------
Maryann, you and I could get in a lot of trouble with this thread....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Maryann, I just saw a stuffing loaf at the grocery store tonight and couldn't figure it out.  (We were in a hurry to get "home"!). Now I get it!  Sounds delicious!  Something we used to do after thanksgiving I just remembered is open face turkey sandwiches.  The bread would toast and the meat would get warm and we'd pour over leftover gravy.  (Same thing with roast beef.). This would be perfect for that!

Yes Jean, I know, this goes against the soggy bread theory, but like a French Dip, you still have some crunch in there.   Big Grin

I need to save the Outback recipe, also.  We love the stuff!  Let me know If it compares, Jean!

One of these days I hope to get back into bread making.  I'm loving the work piling in, but it is seriously getting in the way of my cooking!  But in the past week, I have made some serious steps toward stocking the camper.  I hope by the first of the year I will be able to sneak off to prep a real dinner, if not before.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I hope so too, Daphne.

We love Outback's bread! Thanks, Jean!
Maryann

Oh Daphne, I wavered between pot pie and hot chicken sandwiches as I was making the gravy!! We love both so much.

[Image: dec%204%20007_zpskcfouy8z.jpg]This is what we got up to today, so hunkering down for more split pea soup and maybe I'll make the outback bread to go with.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Yikes, that's a bit of snow. We're suppose to get it by the end of the week.

Looking forward to hearing about the Outback bread, although I'm leaning toward the stuffing bread. Big Grin
Maryann

Eeny, meeny, miny........ Time Wink
www.achefsjourney.com
Winner!! winner!!

Outback bread –
Wonderful flavor and super easy – next time place loaves closer together before baking for higher loaves. Beautiful texture.

I rewrote the recipe from Todd Wilbur’s – way too much verbiage. But, if you’d like the original recipe I’d be glad to post it. This one is for doing the dough in a bread machine, then playing with the dough.

BREAD – BREAD MACHINE VERSION -  Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman*****

If you have a bread machine, you can use it for kneading the bread (you'll find the order in which to add the ingredients to your machine in "Tidbits"). Then, to finish the bread, divide and roll the dough in cornmeal, and bake. Great flavor!!! and with the bread machine, so easy!

Dough - combine and pour into machine bucket:
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 Tbs butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs molasses
---------------
Combine in a bowl, scrap into machine bucket:
2 cups bread flour
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tbs cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 tsp granulated sugar
2 1/4 tsp (1 pkg.) yeast
2 Tbs enhancer
Coloring – forget the food coloring
Cornmeal for dusting

1. When the dough has doubled, separate it into 6 even portions. Roll each dough portion into logs that are 6 inches long and 2 inches wide.

2. Pour the cornmeal onto your rolling surface. Moisten your hands then rub water onto each dough log and roll it in the cornmeal. Arrange the rolled dough on a baking sheet and cover it with plastic wrap. Set the dough in a warm spot to rise for another hour or so until the loaves have doubled in size.

3. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Uncover the dough and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes in the hot oven. When the bread is done, take it out of the oven and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes.

4. Serve the bread with a sharp bread knife and butter on the side. If you want whipped butter, like you get at the restaurant, just use an electric mixer on high speed to whip some butter until it's fluffy.  Makes 6 small loaves. (or 4 nice loaves)

5. 12/6/16 - I divided the dough into 4 loaves - each 8/25 oz. (33 oz. total dough) - baked for 90 minutes turning baking pan at 20 minutes. Next time place the loaves closer together for high loaves.
Source: Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2 by Todd Wilbur.
[Image: Dec%206%20Outback%20bread%201_zpscx7wa8s8.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh, those look really, really good, Jean. Cool

Thanks for re-writing the recipe, too. I agree with you about leaving out the food coloring. Wasn't going to use it either.
Maryann

Jean, the bread is gorgeous!  

The snow?  I love looking at it, and having it once or twice a year is fun, but all winter long?  Not so much.  LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Harvest Stuffing Bread