Does anyone have a good cornbread recipe and a recipe for caramel cake?

Cornbread and Caramel Cake wheatleyp1 Does anyone have a g...
My very favorite cornbread recipe came off the back of the cornmeal package!! I love cornbread and would NEVER, never, never fix a boxed brand. no, no, no.....makes me sad just to think. LOL I use this recipe for serving cornbread with beans, PLUS, I use it for my Thanksgiving dressing! My husbands grandmother (98) always asks me to make her this instead of giving her a gift on her birthday!

Here is my recipe:

1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 c. yellow corn meal
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 TBSP. Sugar
1 TBSP. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 425. Heat vegetable oil in cast iron skillet for 3 minutes. Combine the dry ingredients. Add milk and egg; mixed just until blended. Add heated oil, mix well. Pour into hot skillet. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Loving every moment of my life!!

Re: Cornbread and Caramel Cake Bizymomma My very favorite cor...
And this is OUR favorite cornbread recipe

WHITE MOUNTAIN CORNBREAD

1 cup flour
4 TBS SUGAR (sorry Billy)
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
4 TBS melted butter
1 cup sour cream

Sift dry ingredients. Set aside. Slightly beat egg; add milk, butter, sour cream. Mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture. Stir until mixed. Bake at 400 degrees fo 20 minutes, or until golden in a 8 X 8 inch sprayed/buttered pan.

This is a flavorful, MOIST recipe ---great with chili and barbecues. Makes 9 servings--may be frozen.

Recipe from The Congressional Club Cookbook
Submitted by Mary Jo Smith---Wife of Senator Robert Smith (New Hampshire)
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Cornbread and Caramel Cake wheatleyp1 Does anyone have a g...
There is a wonderful caramel apple cake in CAH...made it a few times and everybody loved it.

Re: Cornbread and Caramel Cake piano226 There is a wonderful...
Here's my cornbread recipe. If you prefer using all cornmeal that is okay too. Many people use sugar in their cornbread recipe which turns it into Johnycake. Searching back for true cornbread, it is made without sugar Sorry Angela

* Exported from MasterCook *

Skillet Cornbread

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Breads-Biscuits-Rolls

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder (heaping Tbs)
1/4 cup oil -- divided
2 large eggs
1 cup milk or buttermilk (more or less) -- as desired

Preheat oven to 400F.

Place cast iron skillet on a medium heat burner. Add half of the oil and insure both the bottom and sides are greased.

Mix together all dry ingredients. Add your eggs and stir. Add the milk a little at a time until you have a medium thick (able to pour it, but it doesn't run) batter. If desired, you may add chiles, corn, onions, cheese, etc. to the batter. A jalapeno chile, seeded, ribbed and chopped tastes especially good.

When the skillet is hot, place one drop of batter in the oil. If it sizzles, your skillet is ready. Pour the batter into the skillet and then place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Slide cornbread from the skillet onto a plate and serve.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple Cake w/Caramel Sauce

Recipe By :Jean Denham
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups Wesson Oil
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups coarsely chopped Granny Smith Apples -- unpeeled
1 cup walnuts -- chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
CARAMEL SAUCE
1 cup butter -- cut in pieces
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream

NOTE: Caramelize walnuts with the apples if desired.
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
2. Using an electric mixer, blend together the oil and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Toast walnuts until fragrant in a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add apples and brown sugar. Cook and stir for 5 to 10 minutes until butter and sugar reduce.
4. Sift flour, soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon into egg mixture, beating thoroughly. The batter will be very stiff.
5. Fold the caramelized apples and walnuts into the batter with a spatula, then stir in the vanilla. Spoon into the prepared bundt pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a pick inserted in cake comes out clean.
7. Place pan on a rack; let cool for 1 hour and then gently turn out onto a plate. Pour about 1/2 cup of the warm sauce over the cake to form a glaze. Serve immediately, with a little of the remaining sauce spooned over each slice, or let the cake cool completely.
CARAMEL SAUCE: Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. When sugar dissolves, add the cream, whisking to form an emulsion. The sauce keeps well in the refrigerator, but it should be reheated before serving.

NOTES : This whole dessert freezes well also, that's what I have to do when I take it to my mom. BJ - Somehow, I failed to mention the dessert has a gazillion calories and fat grams and is one of the best tasting desserts around!!!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Cornbread and Caramel Cake piano226 There is a wonderful...
Marina dear, Please say which issue, I might search for weeks and it could be in one I don't have or if you're feeling ambitious you could post it. Thanks in advance either way,
Cynthia
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Cornbread and Caramel Cake farnfam Marina dear, Please...
Well, shoot - was just going to post my Apple cake!! Thanks BillyJ - beat me to it!

no cheese with seafood
white/fish - red/meat
to use or not to use - sugar with cornbread (I love sugar in mine)

We're just bustin' up traditions left and right this week!! How fun.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Cornbread and Caramel Cake cjs Well, shoot - was ju...
You are welcome ma' love!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Cornbread and Caramel Cake farnfam Marina dear, Please...
Hi Cynthia,

I will try my VERY VERY BEST to look for it...The only problem is that I am off to Russia tomorrow...for the first time in 27 years. YIKEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

SOOOO...i will try loooking for it...but i am very time pressured since i have not even started packing and need to clean up the house because we have two girls styaing at our place to look after our puppy.

I Promise I will try as soon as I get home but things are intsy bitsy crazy here.

Re: Cornbread and Caramel Cake piano226 Hi Cynthia,[br][br]I...
"The only problem is that I am off to Russia tomorrow" - how exciting!! (pardon my language, but...) Scr... the recipe, go pack!! Have a wonderful time, take copious notes and let us all know how the trip was - be safe!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Cornbread and Caramel Cake