Okay, since July 5th is my birthday, and we've adopted this new "birthday dinner" tradition I've made my decision.
I looked threw all my back issues of [Email]C@H[/Email] trying to find something that looked interesting, fitted summertime environments (for most of us anyway...LOL), something I thought most of you would like to try, and lastly,..something that I have been curious to try myself.

So, uh um....... my decision is.........
Sweet Tea Brined Chicken with Cinnamon-Spice Rub
and
Grilled Panzanella Salad

Issue 46 August 2004
Can post recipes as needed!
Dessert is optional...LOL

I've always been curious about the Panzanella Salad. I've wanted to try, just never have. Thought this would be the perfect opportunity!

Hope you all can join and look forward to trying this!

Dinner critique due by July 10th!
HAPPY COOKING!
Loving every moment of my life!!

My Birthday Dinner Bizymomma Okay, since July 5th...
I don't get C@H so am not able to read the recipes. But they sound nice. Jolly good in fact. For ordinary family dinners I never have more than one course. Never have done. For important things, (like your birthday) we do venture to dessert, but it is usually something simple like Pav. and baked custard with icecream. Or bread and butter pudding with the usual accompaniments.

Re: My Birthday Dinner vannin I don't get [url=mai...
There...now you can join us!

Sweet Tea Brined Chicken with Cinnamon-Spice Rub

Makes: 1 Chicken Total Time: 2 Hours + Grilling Rating: Intermediate

For the Chicken—
Prepare:
1 3–4 lb. chicken, flattened

For the Brine—
Steep:
1 tea bag (gallon size)
4 cups boiling water

Whisk in; Add:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
8 cups ice
2 limes, halved and juiced
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

For the Cinnamon-Spice Rub—
Blend Together:
2 T. chili powder
2 t. ground cinnamon
2 t. dried thyme
1 T. pepper
1 t. cayenne

For the Maple Glaze—
Whisk Together:
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup white vinegar

Related Recipes:

Maple Glaze

Prepare chicken by first removing the backbone using kitchen shears along with a little elbow grease. Open chicken and make a 1/2" slit at the top and center of keel bone. Bend the chicken backwards to “pop” out, or expose, the keel bone as much as possible. Use your fingers to get under the bone, then gently pull it out. Make a slit in the knee joint so that heat can easily penetrate this area to ensure complete cooking.

Steep tea bag in water in a large bowl for 5 minutes, covered. Remove tea bag and discard.

Whisk in sugar and salt until dissolved. Add ice, lime juice, lime halves, and mint; stir. Place the chicken in brine and refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours. If using a resealable plastic bag for brine, set the bag in a bowl or roasting pan just in case it may leak.

Blend all ingredients for the rub together. Remove chicken from brine and massage both sides with the rub before grilling.

Whisk syrup and vinegar together for Glaze, until combined.

Rinse two standard household bricks to remove excess dirt, but don’t get hung up on cleanliness. Now wrap them in heavy duty foil before they even touch the chicken. Preheat the grill to medium. To reduce sticking, clean the grates and oil them just before adding the chicken. Spray nonstick spray right on the bird! It has no flavor and makes sticking a non-issue. Place the chicken skin side down on the grill and set the bricks on top. Cover and cook until browned, 5–10 minutes. Flip the chicken over, replace the bricks, and grill 20–25 minutes more, or until the internal temperature reaches 155°. Remove the bricks and glaze every 2–3 minutes until 160°. Remove the chicken from grill, then tent it with foil. Let it rest at least 10 minutes before carving.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/8 of chicken):
318 calories 38% calories from fat 13g total fat 23g carb. 1847mg sodium 1g fiber
Tammy

Re: My Birthday Dinner TwilightKitten There...now you can ...
Grilled Panzanella Salad

Makes: 8 Cups Total Time: About 30 Minutes Rating: Easy

Toss Together:
1 large tomato, diced
1 cup cucumber, seeded, diced
3/4 cup fontina cheese, cubed
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted, halved
1/4 cup torn fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves

Whisk Together; Drizzle in:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
3 T. extra-virgin olive oil

Rub with Olive Oil; Grill:
5 slices (1" thick) day-old crusty bread
1 red bell pepper, seeded, quartered
1/2 cup red onion, “lollipopped”
Salt to taste
1 garlic clove, halved

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Toss tomato, cucumber, cheese, olives, and herbs together in a bowl; cover and chill.

Whisk lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Drizzle in oil, whisking until blended.

Rub bread, bell pepper, and onion with oil using your hands; season with salt.

Grill bell pepper and onion, covered, 3–5 min.; turn vegetables over. Add the bread and grill until toasted on one side, 1–2 min. Turn bread and grill second side until toasted, 1–2 more minutes. Remove everything from the grill.

Rub both sides of the bread with half a garlic clove, tear into pieces, and add to the vegetable-herb mixture. Chop the peppers and onion, and add to the salad. Drizzle with dressing (you may not use it all) and toss with your hands to coat. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Information (Per 1 cup):
248 calories 48% calories from fat 13g total fat 26g carb. 679mg sodium 2g fiber
Tammy

Re: My Birthday Dinner TwilightKitten Grilled Panzanella S...
Sounds interesting, Angela!! I love parties---will be there--the 10th it is!! Thanks for the suggestion--dessert?? hmmm---will think on that
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Oooh, that looks good! I'm in! I do love that sweet tea...never had it as brine before... I love panzanella too but never had it grilled. This should be fun...
Tammy
Sounds like a winning Birthday Dinner, Ang!!! Tammy, thank you for posting the recipes - saves an old cook time searching...Smile

Dessert - well, since this is a b'day celebration, think I'll have to find something to honor the b'day girl...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: My Birthday Dinner cjs Sounds like a winnin...
I'll be on the road, or just getting home, so won't join in. But, have a Happy Birthday, Angela!!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: My Birthday Dinner Lorraine I'll be on the road,...
Happy birthday Angela (a little early). I also will be gone, so can't participate.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: My Birthday Dinner bjcotton Happy birthday Angel...
Hey, this might be a dumb question but what's a gallon size tea bag? How many regular tea bags would one use to equal a gallon size? Anybody know? Thanks!
Tammy
My Birthday Dinner