Jean made a wonderful suggestion on the Gourmet Camping thread here about using a food saver.

I'm curious how many have one and use it regularly? I went onto their site and was looking at the various models and beginning to wonder if I should invest in one of these. I'll assume that if you make a bag of say cookies and slice open the top you could reseal it if you have enough room to allow for a new seal..?

I've been using the Ziploc freezer bags for my meats I get at Costco, but I notice if I don't use them soon I do get freezer burn. I also cook all meals for my father in law and make them up on a sealable plate and freeze so all he has to do is open them up and pop them in the micro to reheat. Are these bags microwavable? Boilable?

Thanks!

Food Saver DFen911 Jean made a wonderfu...
Oh and if I could just piggyback a question too please.
Can I open say a can of peaches or pears, etc. and freeze in the food saver to eat later on camping trip and save space and weight of cans?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Food Saver DFen911 Jean made a wonderfu...
I use mine almost daily - for raw and cooked foods. First of all, with them sealed you can't microwave them - but, I've never used them in the microwave and I never would, because...

Simmering (not boiling) the pouches of food is the most gentle way to heat food there is. when I was personal cheffing, I even pouched up steak for a couple of customers who learned to time it exactly right and their steaks were heated and still the same cooked degree that they loved.

Heating this way, does not dry out products like the oven and/or the microwave can do. Rice, mashed potatoes, anything without a crust. Like a crusted piece of fish or chicken, I wouldn't heat in a pouch - that's a personal preference I'm thinking, but if it's supposed to have a crust...so be it - heat another way.

Canned fruit - definitely! But only, imo, if you have the Proffesional II model with the override button to stop the suction.

Also, some folks say they use any kind of plastic bags (heavy), but I would never (one of the few times saying never won't come back to bite me! ) use those. The FoodSaver bags can be a little costly, but as BillyJ says they are reuseable.

After the pouches are filled and sealed, they lay so nicely flat that the storage in the freezer is just great. and I can get a heck of a lot of them in my little freezer in the trailer.

That's all I can think of right now - BillyJ and I use them so much, as I'm sure there are others out there who also use them, I'm sure every queston can be answered.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Food Saver cjs I use mine almost da...
Quote:

Simmering (not boiling) the pouches of food is the most gentle way to heat food there is. when I was personal cheffing, I even pouched up steak for a couple of customers who learned to time it exactly right and their steaks were heated and still the same cooked degree that they loved.

Heating this way, does not dry out products like the oven and/or the microwave can do. Rice, mashed potatoes, anything without a crust. Like a crusted piece of fish or chicken, I wouldn't heat in a pouch ...

Ok my next question then is how do you reheat by simmering if not in the pouch? You mentioned the steak. Do you just take the steak out, let it thaw, remove from the pouch and reheat in a pan?

Thank you for all this information! I may put this on my B-day list for next month

Re: Food Saver DFen911 [blockquote]Quote:[h...
I love mine and use it all the time--I wrap things like grilled chicken breast or raw for that matter, meat, fish, etc inplastic wrap and freeze--then put them in vaccum bags. I open a bag when I want some, say for a grilled chicken salad, then reseal the rest. I was embarrased to admit it, but I bought it from the guy on TV. My wife kidded me about it until we started using it--love it. At least 6 years old.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Food Saver DFen911 [blockquote]Quote:[h...
I probably confused things by bringing up foods with a crust. If you heat a crusted product inside the pouch, it will be fine, but it won't be the least bit crusty anymore, that's all.

You heat ALL the foods in the sealed pouches - steaks included - in simmering water. You can take right from freezer and drop right into simmering water, or you can thaw the pkg. in the frig overnite and drop the thawd pkg. in the simmering water to heat.

The frozen, naturally takes a little longer, but it's such an easy last minute way to get a 'good' dinner together in no time! And it really doesn't take that much longer.

Casseroles are great for this purpose.

Did I explain that well enuf?? Please let me know if not.Wink
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Food Saver cjs I probably confused ...
I just finished separating 8 lbs of country pork ribs, 16 thick cut (1 1/4") pork chops, 8 lb Boston Butt and 10 lb 7% hamburger into usable portions. Put them into FoodSaver vacuum bags and sealed them. They are now in the freezer. Over the years my foodsaver has paid for itself many times. If I have leftovers of any quantity, into bags it goes. I'm ashamed to admit, but the ribeye steaks we had the other night were dug out of the back of the freezer and had been packaged in 2003...no freezer burn. I wouldn't recommend you leave things that long, but stuff happens
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Food Saver cjs I probably confused ...
I bought one a few years ago and have never used it. How silly is that. Not sure whether I have put it away somewhere in case we sell or if it is still in the kitchen.

Re: Food Saver vannin I bought one a few y...
We have mussells available here now with a shelf life of one year that are sort of shrink wrapped and require neither freezing nor refridgeration. I found it rather a fearsome thought, but Shane tried them and said no difference from fresh. They are done in the shell and open just the same when cooked.

LOL, I didn't know whether to put this in Cis' thread, mussell thread or here.

Re: Food Saver vannin We have mussells ava...
Well, I think the FoodSaver is the way to go. What do you all think about the bad reviews (a few) it got on Amazon? Seems like they are having problems with the newer ones. Where do you think you get the best price? How important is the overdrive if you're standing right there to turn it off if necessary? (The price of the ProII is pretty high)
Still I'm thinking this is gonna make camp packing a breeze.
Cis
Empress for Life
Food Saver