Okay foodies,
My basil is thick and lush. Time to do some harvesting. I've clicked on a couple of websites looking for ways to store.. One guy went through many testings to find the best way....his opinion was to chop them up, put in ice trays, top with water and freeze. After frozen, you could put them in a ziplock freezer bag and keep. Good addition to stews, marinara...etc.

I'm going to make some fresh pesto to freeze as well.

Does anybody else have any tried and true ideas???
Loving every moment of my life!!

Too much basil Bizymomma Okay foodies,[br]My ...
I think I have the best idea ever....call FedEx...tell you want to ***** fresh basil to Denise...

I've used the ice cube method before and it works good. Just adjust your recipe for the extra water. Some let them melt in a stainer to just gather the herb, but I found it lost some of it's flavor.

I'm envious..this year my basil is mocking me. But my rosemary is going like gang busters!

Re: Too much basil DFen911 I think I have the b...
My rosemary rocks!!! I've got 5 plants out, well....they're kind of bushes now. I love walking past them and grazing them with my fingers to release their scent! awesome!!! 3 of the plants I started from a clipping so I couldn't be prouder!

Re: Too much basil Bizymomma My rosemary rocks!!!...
My basil will be going into the ground tomorrow. I wasn't going to grow any, but a friend asked me to plant 6 plants. He wants to make pesto and freeze it. I've got 9 Shiso (Japanese basil) sprouts that I'm going to have to put in pots, they won't be mature enough to go out this year.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I use the ice cube method. It works terrific on Basil, Cilantro, Italian parsley, Oregano etc. But for Tarragon and Rosemary, I just cut the sprigs to fit in a baggie and freeze them as is. It's easy to take out a sprig and get some of those spikey little leaves off and use them just like fresh.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Too much basil farnfam I use the ice cube m...
I guess on the rosemary topic, I'm fortunate. I leave my rosemary in the ground year round and can clip it as needed.

Re: Too much basil Bizymomma I guess on the rosem...
I print the below out every summer as my basil is beginning to overwhelm me and as I harvest, I make each of these - great to have in the freezer.

BASIL - HARVESTING/KEEPING

BASIL PUREE: Process 4 c. loosely packed basil leaves & 1 cup EVO (or 8-oz. can tomato sauce) in a food processor till basil is finely chopped.
Spoon mixture into ice-cube trays (or whatever), & freeze.
Store frozen puree in freezer bags up to 6 mos.

Use anywhere you need a burst of fresh basil flavor: in soups, sauces, or salad dressings.
Thaw & add to marinades, or drizzle over grilled meats & vegies.

BASIL PESTO: Process -
4 c. loosely packed basil leaves
6 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup each: shredded Parm, toasted pine nuts, & EVO
in a processor till smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Spoon mix into trays & freeze.

Store mix. in freezer bags up to 6 mos. Makes 2 cups.
Pesto is great to have on hand for last minute hors d' oeuvres.
It can stand alone as a dip & also works as a spread for pizzas & sandwiches.

BASIL-GARLIC BUTTER:
Process -
1 cup softened butter
2 garlic cloves till smooth.
Add:
1/2 cup firmly packed basil leaves, & pulse 3-4 times or till basil is finely chopped.
Store in Refrig up to 1 week, or freeze up to 4 mos. Makes 1 cup.
If desired, shape butter into a log; wrap, chill then freeze in log or cut in circles.

Serve w/hot crusty French bread or baked potatoes.
Toss w/hot, cooked pasta and Parm cheese or steamed veggies.

Try it on a grilled cheese w/mozz, sliced tomatoes, & crumbled bacon.

PESTO-GOAT CHEESE SPREAD:
Process -
11-oz. log goat cheese
8-oz. pkg. softened cream cheese
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1/2 c. toasted pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
2 T. balsamic vinegar in food processor till smooth.

Chill 2 hrs. before serving. Makes 3 cups.

Store in frig up to 1 week, or freeze up to 4 mos.
Serve w/toasted pita chips or sliced baguettes.

Shape cheese mix. into logs, & wrap, slice chilled logs into 1/2" rounds. Dip rounds in lightly beaten egg; dredge in Italian breadcrumbs. Pan-fry over med-high heat in a little butter 1 min. or each side or till golden, & serve warm over a crisp, gr. salad.`
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Post deleted by sysadmin ...
I freeze as Steve mentioned, and also do a puree like Jean's.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Too much basil Lorraine I freeze as Steve me...
We are making a big batch of Roasted Tomato Basil soup this weekend using some of our home grown tomatoes and a lot of our basil. We will freeze much of it for the winter. I'll see if I can post a link for the recipe---
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life...54549.html
Really sounds good.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Too much basil