I needed a little food hug today. I remembered a favorite thing grandma used to make and tweaked it a little.
Roasted a Red Bell pepper, and sauted in olive oil with "@1/2lb spinach, onion, garlic and 1/2 Cup (or more) cooked spaghetti cut in half. Cooked and browned all, added butter and 1C egg beaters plus 3 eggs very well beaten. Cooked til eggs were just done and browned top (you should probbly use broiler, but I used wood fire)
This was good and very comforting, like a big hug
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Comfort Spinach Frittata farnfam I needed a little fo...
"like a big hug" - can't beat that kind of food. (that sounds good too!)

Just the other day one of my sons and I spent a while on the phone trying to figure out a pork chop & evap. milk dish his (paternal) Grandma made when he was little. I never tasted it, but he was determined to make it.

Yesterday, I saw oxtail in the meat dept. for the first time this year and picked up a couple pkgs. I waited too many years to make my Mom's oxtail soup, which was just delicious - by the time I wanted to make it, she didn't remember anymore how she did it. This seems to be my annual mission, to recreate it...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Comfort Spinach Frittata farnfam I needed a little fo...
"but I used wood fire" Oh horrors! I distinctly remember chopping wood and keeping the wood box in the kitchen filled with different kinds of wood to cook with and in the livingroom to heat the house.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Comfort Spinach Frittata bjcotton "but I used wood fir...
The only thing I ever cooked on a wood stove was Lefse at my Grandma's house as a young teenager - what fun. Tammy, all of our moms and grandmas seem to be in our minds and hearts this week... They're all gathered up there cheering us on, I'll bet. One of mine is up there drinking a martini and telling others how to comport themselves and the other is muttering "Uffda" at 'Gert' and ignoring her.....Loved 'em both.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Comfort Spinach Frittata cjs The only thing I eve...
My Grandmother was in the lap of luxury when she got a wood fire. They had been living in a tent with an outdoor brick hearth while Grandad was building a house. Only a Kitchen/scullery to begin with, added to slowly over the years. At the turn of the 1900s she was 16 and pregnant with her first babe, the first bedroom was completed by the time Auntie Phyl made her appearance. But the wood burning stove was in place before then. The Arden, Pooley and a few other farms were the only other dwellings around them. The electricity came in the late 20s. Just before the depression. She kept the wood burner until a few years after the war, and declared it was the best cooker she ever had. There are still isolated dwellings around the country who have no elect., but there are many different ways to cope without now. We intend to get a Rayburn or somesuch when we move, with wetback and radiant heaters throughout. Solar water heating and battery bank as well. We have batteries here for the emergency lighting.

Re: Comfort Spinach Frittata vannin My Grandmother was i...
"wetback and radiant heaters throughout." - assuming a completely different connotation of the word in your land, Dale, than in ours...
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Comfort Spinach Frittata cjs "wetback and radiant...
I probably used the wrong word Jean. They are the ones that run off a cooker or chip burner wetback. I understand one can have up to 8 of these heaters from a good quality wetback. I just meant they radiate from the primary source. Great for drying your smalls over. Makes it heavy in wood use, but if there is anything we have here it is wood. And a trailer.

Re: Comfort Spinach Frittata vannin I probably used the ...
Oh no Dale, I would have no idea if 'wetback' is the correct word or not...I was just being a smarta$$ and it didn't work. In the USA, 'wetback' is a derogatory term for illegal Mexicans. Never mind, that was tacky of me to even bring it up...
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Comfort Spinach Frittata cjs Oh no Dale, I would ...
LOL Jean, you can cook a spinach frittata on my kind of wetback. We put one into the first house we had, a Juno, I used to turn the hot water off at the beginning of winter, about April, and not turn it back on 'till late November. Then Juno would keep the whole house warm, and the underneath garage as well. I would put a casserole on top in the morning and it was perfect by about 5pm. It was odd in that the meat was as tender as meat could be, but the veggies held shape and left a slight firmness although cooked through. The gravy was to die for and i mashed baby Lizzies veggies into it. She called it stew juice. I never purchased any baby food from the supermarket, it seemed such a waste of money.

Re: Comfort Spinach Frittata vannin LOL Jean, you can co...
darn...I'm so spoiled!
Loving every moment of my life!!
Comfort Spinach Frittata