It's a Monday. Small, 75 seat lunch room that's open for 2 hours. We have a full hot buffet every day, as well as soup, sandwiches and salads made to order. Monday is a major prep day, after the weekend. The dumb waiter was acing up, so I grabbed a cart ,took the elevator to the kitchen to get our food (at this point very late) and set up the buffet. I ran some pans to the dishroom (headstart on cleanup, you know) and I noticed a burning electical smell. Then I noticed the smoke seeping under the dumbwaiter door. Raced backed to the dining room, called the kitchen, tracked down my co-worker and sent her outside, called my supervisor (doing a lunch at the Pres of the University) blew out 12 sternos, unplugged everything and left. An hour & a half later we were allowed back in the building. We had 10 customers today. Positive-noone hurt. Negative No more dumbwaiter.

Quite the day.

PJ
PJ

One of those days you DON"T want to have pjcooks It's a Monday. Smal...
75 is not so small. I take it that your cooking area is on another floor. We are lucky, all one level. But our gas stove sucks. The 6 burners work very well, but the oven is a pig of a thing. Shane will do battle with the appropriate people when he has his breath back from the various going ons of the last week. I feel sorry for them. But needs must. I often see on the TV waiters going up and down stairs. I don't know how they do it.

Re: One of those days you DON"T want to have vannin 75 is not so small. ...
Here, a dumb waiter costs jolly near as much as a lift (elevator). Surely it can be repaired by a competant person. Too expensive to abandon.

Re: One of those days you DON"T want to have vannin Here, a dumb waiter ...
What a way to start the week! Hope you can get the dumb waiter fixed!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: One of those days you DON"T want to have Lorraine What a way to start ...
That happened on Monday??? Oh my, you might think about staying in bed with covers over head the rest of the week...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: One of those days you DON"T want to have cjs That happened on Mon...
Well, today went better than yesterday, although we weren't expecting the crowd we got and ran tight with the food (2 St Louis Ribs left at close).

Our kitchen is downstairs, and because we have an elevator, I'm sure the dumbwaiter isn't on the short list! The building is, oh, about a thousand years old. Really about a hundred.

We all learned something from this.

1) The mandatory posted maps showing locations of alarms, extinguishers and exits are wrong. According to the maps, I have a fire alarm in my room. Nope.

2) We all need to be aware of procedure. We handled things the best we knew how at the moment, but we'll have an emergency preparedness meeting to brush up.

3) I'm tied to the catering division, and that was another wrinkle. You never know who is in or out, loading/unloading, or just scooting over to a kiosk for this or that. Old bldg=so many tiny rooms, closets, etc that someone may be in.

And from now on I'll keep my coat near me .

PJ
PJ

Re: One of those days you DON"T want to have pjcooks Well, today went bet...
"we'll have an emergency preparedness meeting to brush up"

Always a good thing. I have two binders on the whole thing, one I keep at home, the other at the office. I recently had to put together out "Pandemic Planning". Give me strenght, if something major hits, the city will be shut down.

But, back to you. Glad to hear today went better!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: One of those days you DON"T want to have Lorraine "we'll have an emerg...
"Pandemic Planning"-

Wow, that's an undertaking! and such a responsibility. Thank goodness for people like you.

PJ
PJ
  Re: One of those days you DON"T want to have vannin 75 is not so small. ...
I worked in a place that had an ancient gas stove with 6 burners and a "pig of an oven", too. Perhaps they're related....

PJ
PJ
  One of those days you DON"T want to have pjcooks It's a Monday. Smal...
but one time - 35 years or so ago - I had to protect the oven from my husband (boyfriend at that time) as he started a fire in the oven and immediately reached for the foam fire extinguisher. I grabbed the salt and a lid, and told him unless he wanted to buy a new range for his landlord there were other ways to extinguish a grease fire in the oven. This way way before the days of self-cleaning ovens, I think, and I had to teach him how to clean an oven. Now that I think of it, he's never come close to cleaning an oven since - and I thought it was my good looks!
One of those days you DON"T want to have