Since you enjoyed your caviar 'fixins' at school, thot I'd give you this recipe. I think I've posted it before, but it is so good!! I used to make it for almost every catering job plus family 'dos' -

* Exported from MasterCook *

CAVIAR "PIE"

6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped (I put thru a sieve)
~3 T. mayo
1 lg. sweet onion, finely chopped
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sour cream
7 T. (3 1/2 oz) Caviar
Lemon wedges and parsley sprigs for garnish

Grease bottom and side of 8" springform pan.

In a bowl, combine eggs and mayo till well blended. Spread in bottom of pan to make an even layer. Sprinkle with onion.

Combine cream cheese and sour cream; beat till smooth. By the spoonful, drop onto onion. With a wet table knife (or a small offset spatula), spread gently to smooth.

Cover. Chill overnite.

At party time, top with a layer of caviar, distributing it to the edges of the pan. Run knife around sides of pan; loosen and lift off sides. Arrange lemon wedges in open pinwheel. Fill center with parsley sprigs.

Serve with small pieces of pumpernickel bread. 10-12 serve.

Description:
"This is one of about 10 recipes in this book that I have made at least once or twice a year since first making it. During my catering years, folks just love(d) this and always a hit with everyone!"

NOTES : Black Lumpfish or Whitefish Caviar is suggested.

-------

Denise, the last few years, I've been making these up in smaller individual springform pans - they look so good on a large platter.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

This is For Denise!! cjs Since you enjoyed yo...
Jean, I want to try this but have never purchased caviar because my brother (lives in Florida) told me the only way to buy it is fresh and that's not readily available here. I've seen jars and tins of it in the stores, but I'm clueless about buying them. Can you give some advice about this? Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: This is For Denise!! Mare749 Jean, I want to try ...
I love this recipe!!! I buy the little jars of caviar from the supermarket.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  This is For Denise!! cjs Since you enjoyed yo...
Holy cow this sounds like -
A - Fun to eat
B - Fun to make

I've never purchased caviar before, any recommendations? Do you have pictures of this dish? You know I love pictures

Oh I can't wait to try this. Too bad no one is going to get to eat them as I'm going to hog them all to myself.

Thank you Jean!!!

Re: This is For Denise!! DFen911 Holy cow this sounds...
"told me the only way to buy it is fresh" - God bless him...and in a perfect world...

I have to buy what's in the supermarket also - either of the two mentioned are good to use.

Denise, I don' think I've ever taken a picture of it - it's usually at a party and I have every good intention in the world to take pix...but, you certainly know where good intentions go when you're in the kitchen.

Maybe that's a good reason to make it just for Roy and me...to take a picture. Lorraine, come help us eat it - Billy's not even here to help and I think he liked it, his sister-in-law sure did!!!

Maryann, just make it a different nite from the cottage cheese patties...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
This is For Denise!!