Help! I mistakenly threw away my copy of the October issue that had a recipe for chuck roast cooked in Guiness beer. Could someone please give me the recipe....it was a huge hit with our family!
Thank you, thank you!

Chuck roast cooked in beer kemosabe Help! I mistakenly ...
THREW IT AWAY??? Isn't that sacrilege?? Here you go -

Guinness Pot Roast
(Cuisine at home, October 2006, Issue 59, p. 17)

Makes: 21⁄2–3 lb. roast, 4 Cups Sauce Total Time: 31⁄2 Hours Rating: Intermediate

Trim, Season, and Sear:
1 boneless chuck pot roast or arm roast, (3–31⁄2 lb.)
Salt and pepper
2 T. olive oil

Sweat; Add:
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, halved (31⁄2 oz.)
1 1/2 cups onion, diced
2/3 cup carrot, diced
2/3 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
3 T. tomato paste
1/2 cup pretzels, finely ground

Deglaze with; Stir in and Braise:
2 bottles Guinness or other dark beer (12 oz. each)
2 cups chicken or beef broth
2 T. Dijon mustard
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
Seared roast

Add:
3 carrots, peeled, cut into 3" chunks

Garnish with:
Chopped fresh parsley

Related Recipes:

Mashed Potatoes with Cheddar & Kale

Potato Cakes with Zucchini & Onion

Preheat oven to 325°.

Trim meat of excess fat and season with salt and pepper; heat oil over medium-high in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Sear roast on both sides until brown, 8–10 minutes total. Remove roast from the pan.

Sweat mushrooms, vegetables, and seasonings in the pot for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, cook 2 minutes, then stir in the pretzels.

Deglaze with Guinness, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan; stir in broth, Dijon, and Worcestershire. Return the seared roast to the pot and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover the pot, then transfer to the oven; braise roast for 2 hours. After 2 hours, remove pot from the oven and turn the roast over with a carving fork.

Add carrot chunks, then cover and return pot to the oven. Braise another 45 minutes, or until the meat is spoon-tender. To serve, transfer roast and carrots to a platter and cut meat into chunks. Bring sauce to a simmer, skimming off fat, then spoon it over the roast.

Garnish with parsley.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Chuck roast cooked in beer cjs THREW IT AWAY??? Isn...
Jean, I remembered this recipe and went back to look at my review. This is one of those set it and forget it recipes. I also noted that I'd add potatoes to the pot with the carrots during last 45 minutes of the braising time. Is this too much prep for you?

Anyway, I think this is going on my menu for next week. This is one of those recipes that has popped in my head repeatedly for months. When I looked at my review, I knew I had to make it again. Thought I'd share.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Chuck roast cooked in beer Gourmet_Mom Jean, I remembered t...
How funny - with all the scrambled letters, you can see how far I've come on the computer!

Sounds so tasty! I wanted to buy a couple of roasts (beef & pork) this week - Safeway has some good sales, so on the list. Thanks Daphne

Just checked to see if I had this one in L.C. and I do! When you made it in '08, you even added lots of notes that I saved, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Chuck roast cooked in beer cjs How funny - with all...
And how wordy that review was! LOL! I think I've gotten a LITTLE less wordy these days!

I can't wait to make this again. The last few pot roasts I've made, I've thought of this.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Chuck roast cooked in beer