I did the CAH Coke-basted ham a while back. I spent a lot of time cleaning the basting brush before putting it away, but I'm not happy with the final result. I'm not enthused about silicone for some other applications, but think it might be okay for this. Has anyone tried silicone, or can you recommend a basting brush that cleans up well? Dishwasher safe a plus. TIA

Basting brush... Ron I did the CAH Coke-b...
I find the silicone ones work great on meats, and are very easy to clean. I agree that they are not good for some applications like pastry.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Basting brush... Lorraine I find the silicone ...
I buy mine at the hardware store - heck of a lot cheaper than buying "pastry" brushes. and they go thru the dishwasher great!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Basting brush... cjs I buy mine at the ha...
I really like to use my silicone brushes as well. They are great on everything but for fine pastry brushing. Clean up beautifully.

I was recently in a food equipment outlet and picked up a double sided gadget---one side is fine bristles and the other a much wider with more substantial bristles---I love new gadgets!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Basting brush... Roxanne 21 I really like to use...
Anyone know the brand name of the silicone brushes they are using and like?

Re: Basting brush... Ron Anyone know the bran...
I think my are made by StarFrit. I got a package of 2 (different sizes) for about $6.00CDN. Jean, great idea about getting them at the hardware store!

Billy, the pheasant was excellent. I'll try to download pictures of how we did it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Basting brush... Lorraine I think my are made ...
I don't know the name brand of mine but I did order through Bakers Catalogue and as Lorraine said there is a set of two--different sizes. I also noticed them in Chef's Catalogue. I can't remember the price difference (if any)--I placed an order with Bakers so included these at the time. There was a thread on this a while ago and a couple of members posted sites to go to---I will try to find that for you and bump---
  Re: Basting brush... Ron Anyone know the bran...
This was a site posted by dollop

Here you can read about it.
http://www.hugthecook.com/detail.aspx?ID=6744
  Re: Basting brush... Lorraine I find the silicone ...
I use the silicone brushes and find they work just fine AND go through the dishwasher fine too. I do have a soft nylon basting brush I use at times, but mostly it's the silicone.

Lorraine, Sweetie, don't you know Christmas is over and the fat pheasant has been eaten?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Basting brush... bjcotton I use the silicone b...
hush billy - she's still enjoying Christmas, Gil hasn't left yet!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Basting brush...