I made some pudding yesterday and tried to "lighten" the fat content. I used 2% milk in place of whole milk. Can you use "egg beaters" in place of eggs in a pudding made with cornstarch? I made the pudding to use in a Trifle and have a lot more than I need. Can the extra pudding be frozen successfully?
Shirley

A couple of pudding questions. smschwag I made some pudding ...
Eggs do act as a thickening agent also, as well the butterfat in the milk, I would think - but with the cornstarch, I don't know if there would be a problem? Was there? It sounds like you've already made the pudding?? And it was O.K.?

You might try freezing the leftovers - I remember making pudding "bars" for the kids when they were small and I just froze the pudding with a stick in it for them. It's been so many years ago, I have no idea whether I used a cornstarch pudding or not.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: A couple of pudding questions. cjs Eggs do act as a thi...
You're right I did already make the pudding and it worked out great. I was checking for opinions for next time if I could use egg beaters in place of the eggs. I posted the questions on a couple of sites and the general concensus seems to be that the egg beaters probably will work since the cornstarch is the thickening agent. I got mixed opinions on the freezing question. I did freeze the leftovers since the two of us probably couldn't finish the trifle and the leftover pudding before it went bad so what did I have to loose and maybe I saved something. I'll let you know how both work out.
Shirley

Re: A couple of pudding questions. smschwag You're right I did a...
We just thawed and ate some of the leftover pudding. It tasted fine but the texture was a little grainy and it didn't look smooth. So if you don't care about the texture it's okay. Personally I wasn't thrilled with it.
Shirley

Re: A couple of pudding questions. smschwag We just thawed and a...
Thanks for letting us know, Shirley. Hope you will come back and visit often. Lots of nice people here to visit with and we all learn from each other.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: A couple of pudding questions. Mare749 Thanks for letting u...
Welcome aboard Shirley! Here's some info about cheeses that you didn't want to know anyway...just for future reference

That's the same way cheese gets if you freeze it Shirley. I freeze cream cheese and it gets grainy, but as long as you use it in something like cheesecake it works great. Other cheeses gets a little grainy and crumbly after freezing.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: A couple of pudding questions. bjcotton Welcome aboard Shirl...
Egg Beaters won't act like a thickening agent the way real eggs do, mainly because there is no yolk. The yolk of the egg, when cooked, is what thickens things really well.

Also Egg Beaters are pasteurized. I've used them in cakes with moderate results. Because of the pasteurization process and being exposed to heat, plus having other things added to them to like proteins and vitamins, they just don't stand up to standard cooking methods like regular eggs do. I only use them as omelettes and scrambled eggs.
  Re: A couple of pudding questions. bjcotton Welcome aboard Shirl...
Billy
Thanks for the info about the cheeses. Actually it came at a good time. I made a cheese spread yesterday and was thinking about freezing it. It's a blend of cream cheese, mascarpone and strawberry jam. It sounds like it won't freeze. Any opinions on how long it will keep in the fridge?

Shirley

Re: A couple of pudding questions. smschwag Billy[br]Thanks for ...
I'm not Billy, but I'd say a couple of weeks. Once you introduce other products into the cheeses, you run the risk of bacteria growing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
A couple of pudding questions.