We can get either thick or thin. I prefer the thin, prepared long and slow, putting in in in the morning isn't to soon, and the flavour is terrific, prepared any way you would a casserole.

Skirt Steak. vannin We can get either th...
Skirt steak is what we use for fajitas! We grill it for a minute or two on one side and then a minute on the other. The marinades change as to our mood.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.

Re: Skirt Steak. Half_Baked Skirt steak is what ...
I should have known Jan, but I don't. What is a fragita? There are so many itas and onas, and doners and stuff.

Re: Skirt Steak. vannin I should have known ...
and to confuse things even more, there is braciole. Rolled up with a nice little filling, browned, then slow simmered all afternoon in a nice, rich, tomato sauce. Fantastic!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Skirt Steak. vannin I should have known ...
This is from: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/00...ajitas.php

(Jan - We do all the peppers and steak on the grill whenever possible.)

Easy Fajitas

1 lb of flank steak or skirt steak or chicken
1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced with the grain, not against the grain as one would normally slice an onion. Slice first in half, and then slice off sections a half inch wide at widest point.
2 large bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, de-ribbed, sliced lengthwise into half-inch wide strips

Marinade:
Juice of 1 lime
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 fresh Jalapeño pepper, seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped (be careful not to touch your eyes or anywhere near your eyes after handling a Jalapeño pepper!)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, including stems

1 Mix all marinade ingredients. Set the steak in the marinade and let it sit at least an hour, the longer the better.

2 Heat to high heat a large cast iron pan or griddle. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the steak, frying on each side for 3 minutes, or to desired doneness. 3 minutes per side will yield approximately medium rare doneness for an average cut of flank steak. If pan starts to smoke too much, reduce the heat to medium high. We want the steak browned, not burned. Remove from pan and let sit for 5 minutes.

3 Reduce the pan heat to medium high. Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary. Add the onions, bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until the onions are slightly translucent.

4 Slice the meat against the grain into thin slices. If you slice the meat at a slanted angle, you will be able to get your slices pretty thin. (I forgot to do this in the photo above!) Flank steak is flavorful but can be a little tough, so thin slices will really help make it easier to eat.

5 Serve immediately with shredded cheese, salsa, shredded iceberg lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and warm flour tortillas. (Hint for warming tortillas - put in microwave over a paper towel for 20 seconds on high heat.)

Serves 4.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.

Re: Skirt Steak. Half_Baked This is from: [url=h...
Looks great, new ways of doing things, thanks Maryann and Jan.

Re: Skirt Steak. vannin Looks great, new way...
What's another name for skirt steak? We have very limited choices here. But, it's possible to explain to the butcher what I mean and he may get/make it for me.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Skirt Steak. farnfam What's another name ...
Jean is best to reply to this, but I think it is the thin meaty bit which hangs off the end of the ribs. On the other hand, it may not be ;Þ
  Re: Skirt Steak. farnfam What's another name ...
Cis, the skirt steak is cut from the flank, and according to my FLC, "...the skirt steak is the diaphragm muscle (which lies between the abdomen and chest cavity). It's a long flat piece that's flavorful but rather tough."

I usually see skirt steak rolled, about 1 1/2" thick - we love it also. great flavor.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Skirt Steak. cjs Cis, the skirt steak...
Ah ha Harrr.... See, I did say ask Jean. Now I know too. Although imagination is a wonderful thing. ;Þ
Skirt Steak.