First, I apologize. I didn't realize it, but when I said lemon ricotta cheesecake, I actually meant pie. It does taste very similar to a cheesecake, though.

This recipe is a variation on one which I found online years ago when my Dad started to ask why nobody made this any more (the recipe died along with the older relatives). I reformulated the recipe to make it healthier (using Egg Beaters and lowfat ricotta). You can, of course, use whole eggs and whole milk ricotta. I also use a combination of lemon and orange zest, but my Dad's aunt made it only with the lemon.

Also, this year, I'm using a whole-wheat pie crust I discovered at Whole Foods that is quite good and flaky. I got tired of trying to make decent pie crusts to have them turn out tough and dry.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ricotta Pie with Citrus Flavors

Recipe By: Vicci
Servings: 8

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 half package prepared pie crust
3 1/2 cups lowfat ricotta cheese
1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup Egg BeatersĀ® 99% egg substitute
1 cup granulated sugar

On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust to fit into a 10" glass pie dish. Place crust in dish, roll and flute edges.

In a large bowl combine the ricotta through the vanilla and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 4 minutes. Slowly beat in Egg Beaters and beat for another minute. Gradually add sugar while beating mixture and continue to beat at medium speed for 2 additional minutes. Pour into pie crust and bake for about 70 minutes or until light golden on top. Do not overbake, the center will not be quite set but will firm up. Cover the edges of the crust with strips of foil if they start to overbrown.

Cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 342 Calories (kcal); 9g Total Fat; (24% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 44mg Cholesterol; 892mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Farnfam-- Ricotta pie recipe foodfiend First, I apologize. ...
Thanks Vicci, I love ricotta pie, it's nice for Easter. I'll be sure to try your lighter recipe, which would be nice after a heavy meal. I usually try to have pizzelle or biscotti available for holiday dinners because everyone is so full they don't always want dessert. This is a nice alternative.

I have a recipe for ricotta cake that I will post for anyone who might want it. It's very nice also. I'm tempted to give it some lemon flavoring as well.

Maryann

Re: Farnfam-- Ricotta pie recipe Mare749 Thanks Vicci, I love...
Another good sounding idea - again copied!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Farnfam-- Ricotta pie recipe Mare749 Thanks Vicci, I love...
Quote:

Thanks Vicci, I love ricotta pie, it's nice for Easter. I'll be sure to try your lighter recipe, which would be nice after a heavy meal. I usually try to have pizzelle or biscotti available for holiday dinners because everyone is so full they don't always want dessert. This is a nice alternative.

I have a recipe for ricotta cake that I will post for anyone who might want it. It's very nice also. I'm tempted to give it some lemon flavoring as well.

Maryann

Maryann, please post the recipe for your ricotta cake when you have a chance!

After our Easter dinner, we have ricotta pie, pizelles, biscotti, AND anise cookies. Oh, and nut roll. DH asked why I'm trying to lose a couple of pounds before Easter...

I hope that you all like the pie. It's really quick to put together and my Dad just loves it (always good to rack up "points" when I can!).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
Thanks Vicci, this sounds scrumptious!! Perfect for Easter I think. We'll definitely go with the lighter version as we really lapped up the cholesteral over vacation
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
Vicci, this sounds like the perfect dessert for my parents and their Seniors' monthly meeting.

Thank you

PJ
PJ
Farnfam-- Ricotta pie recipe