Is there a recipe for oven-fried chicken that tastes decent? I looked at the C@H version and didn't want to mess with beating egg whites, etc. The other recipes I've tried were always drier than I'd like. I don't want a recipe that starts in oil on the stove and finishes in the oven, just a straight oven version.

Oven-fried chicken... Ron Is there a recipe fo...
OK Now I've got to reply to this...PPLLLEEZZZEEEE try "cjs" "Cold oil fried chicken" I swear you will not regret it, it's just amazing how good this is, sure it's kinda thinking out-side the box, but DANG it's so good . and it's just as good when it's cold !!!!

Re: Oven-fried chicken... madmax OK Now I've got to r...
I've got the C@H Southern Fried Chicken down cold, but I'd really like to have a recipe without the cooking oil. Oven-fried or oven-baked is what I'm looking for - crisp, flavorful skin and moist inside.

Re: Oven-fried chicken... Ron I've got the [url=ma...
Quote:

I've got the [Email]C@H[/Email] Southern Fried Chicken down cold, but I'd really like to have a recipe without the cooking oil. Oven-fried or oven-baked is what I'm looking for - crisp, flavorful skin and moist inside.

Me too! Does anyone have one????

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Here's Jean's recipe, from a recent post.

Hope you don't mind me copying into this thread.

Jean's
. COLD OIL CHICKEN

Got this Recipe in the 70s ~ Willow Glen days

2/3 cup flour
1 tsp each: garlic salt & seasoned salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp each: pepper, rubbed sage, thyme leaves, & dried basil
3 cup oil (approx.)
Chicken pieces

In a bag, combine all the seasonings.

In a deep electric frying pan, pour in 1/2" of oil. Shake each piece of Chicken in flour mixture & place skin side down in the cold oil.

Cover the pan & turn to 350°. When you hear the chicken frying & sizzling loudly, set a timer & cook for 15 min.
Remove cover & turn pieces over.
Cook, uncovered for 10 min. longer or till meat next to bone is done.

I've used other pans, but really prefer the electric skillet - it is so precise.

DARE YA ALL.....

PJ
PJ

Thank you Sweetie!! But, Ron's looking for a healthy oven-fried. O.K. Ron - here's one that my family (well maybe except madmax!!! ) thinks is the best in the world.

* Exported from MasterCook *

OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN

chicken pieces
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Dash pepper
1 egg -- slightly beaten
2 T. milk

Rinse chicken; pat dry.
In a plastic bag combine all but egg & milk.
combine the egg & milk in a shallow dish.
Dip chicken in egg mix.; place chicken 2-3 pcs. at a time in plastic bag.
Shake to coat.

Place chicken, skin side up in an oven proof pan .
Bake 375 for 35 to 45 min. or till Chicken reaches 160°.

Chicken can be eaten hot or cold - either way, it's delicious!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Oven-fried chicken... cjs [br]Thank you Sweeti...
That last one is getting more to where I wanted to be, but could I use APF instead of whole wheat flour? I don't do much baking. Interestingly, I received a complimentary copy of Cook's Country today and they have an oven-fried chicken recipe in there that also looks worth trying (buttermilk marinade, corn flake crust).

Re: Oven-fried chicken... Ron That last one is get...
Thanks Jean, I forgot that you gave me that recipe already, I just had not tried it yet. Sounds good, but since I'm not wild about wheat flour, I would rather use white also. Do you use any oil at all, even a small amount on the baking sheet?

Maryann
Maryann

Oven-fried chicken... Ron Is there a recipe fo...
This one is our favorite. I use the chipotle pepper and I also bake it on a rack (sprayed with cooking spray) to keep the bottom of the pieces from getting soggy. Also, I absolutely hate recipes that directs to use plastic bags to marinate or flour. Such a waste... I marinate in a large plastic container (w/ cover) and flour in a paper bag:

Oven Fried Chicken

Source: Cooking Light April 2002

Marinating in buttermilk results in tender, juicy chicken, and double breading gives a crisp crust. For a smoky taste, use ground chipotle pepper in place of the ground red pepper.

3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 chicken breast(about 1 pound), skinned
2 chicken drumsticks (about 1/2 pound), skinned
2 chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), skinned
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Cooking spray

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 450°.

Combine flour, salt, peppers, and cumin in a second large zip-top plastic bag. Remove chicken from first bag, discarding marinade. Add chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour; lightly coat each chicken piece with cooking spray. Return chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour.

Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 35 minutes or until done, turning after 20 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 breast half or 1 thigh and 1 drumstick)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 263(15% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 1.2g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 38.4g; CHOLESTEROL 110mg; CALCIUM 73mg; SODIUM 754mg; FIBER 0.8g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 14.9g
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Oven-fried chicken... foodfiend This one is our favo...
Thanks Vicci, this one sounds good too. I'll have to get out my old copies of Cooking Light. I subscribed to it for a couple of years and have several cookbooks on my mastercook program, but have gotten away from the "lighter" lifestyle. We need to work our way toward that again.

Maryann
Maryann

Oven-fried chicken...