I'm just getting so fascinated with this whole Ethiopian dinner 'thang' - I thot I'd look for a side dish to go with (as maryanne called them) "Ethiopian burritos" and I found this great article!!

If we ever do an Ethiopian dinner, I get to be the "...tall, stunning woman with characteristically high cheekbones and soft skin" 'cause this is my idea...

http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Cookbook/Eth...20Ethiopia

I'm making the Injerra and the Siga Wot Monday, but I'm using the recipe I found on MasterCook - looks much more interesting than the Injerra in the above article. Wouldn't this be a fun dinner party????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Ethiopian Fascination!!! cjs I'm just getting so ...
Quote:

If we ever do an Ethiopian dinner, I get to be the "...tall, stunning woman with characteristically high cheekbones and soft skin" 'cause this is my idea...

Bowing to the PoohBah

Yes, that does sound good, think I'll read up some more.

PJ
PJ

Re: Ethiopian Fascination!!! pjcooks [blockquote]Quote:[h...
I am told by my "Flatbread and Flavours" book, published in the USA in 1995, that teff flour is available there from Ethiopian stores, and some health food shops. So all is not lost. The authors say it resembles millet in appearance. I just adore the idea of a bread tablecloth.

Re: Ethiopian Fascination!!! vannin I am told by my "Fla...
Yes, this does sound like a fun dinner party, and I think it calls for buying a tagine to make the stew in. Wearing a shama reminds me of the 70's, my sister-in-law had a white gauze dress she wore with sandals. Shouldn't be too hard to find something like that to wear for your party.

The bread tablecloth sounds so exotic, I love that!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Ethiopian Fascination!!! Mare749 Yes, this does sound...
"reminds me of the 70's, my sister-in-law had a white gauze dress" - oh geez, you mean like this??????

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjdacook/RJ.jpg

...and don't forget the poylester suits!!!

the bread tablecloth - I have a huge cast iron griddle, that I think I'll cook the injeera on and make a mini-tablecloth...probably still have to invite the neighbors in.

" I think it calls for buying a tagine to make the stew in. " - maryann, do you know what a "sh*t disturber" is???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Ethiopian Fascination!!! cjs "reminds me of the 7...
" I think it calls for buying a tagine to make the stew in. " - maryann, do you know what a "sh*t disturber" is???

Umm...I dunno, is that like a pain in the a**??? Yup, that's me. It's just that I would really like to know if the tagine would work any better than my dutch oven? (I have it on my wish list anyway)

I love that photo of you and hubbie! And yes, your dress is similar to the one that my SIL wore for her high school graduation, except that hers was more wrinkled looking, like she slept in it. She probably still has it.

Maryann
"The Gadget Queen"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Ethiopian Fascination!!! cjs "reminds me of the 7...
What a GREAT idea, lets please plan to do this one next!!
I'm not at all sure about obtaining the Tef flour, but if I have to I could try to get it online right?
I had a few of those gauzy blouses, standard attire for us flower children lol
Jean, I just adore that picture of you two!!
So, where can I find your MasterCook recipes for this Ethiopian food?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Ethiopian Fascination!!! farnfam What a GREAT idea, l...
Oh, wouldn't that be fun!! Cis, the recipe I have for the Injeera calls for either whole wheat or tef flour, plus, the whole recipe just sounds better than the one on the site I posted. Here's all of the one's I'm going to try.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Injeera

Serving Size : 4

1/2 cup whole wheat flour -- or tef flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs -- beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon oil

Sift together the flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Combine eggs, buttermilk and oil. Add this mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until smooth.

Pour 2 tablespoons of batter into a hot, lightly greased 6-inch skillet so that the batter covers the bottom. Lift and quickly rotate the pan to even out the batter. Return skillet to medium heat. Cook about one minute or until lightly browned on the bottom. Invert bread onto paper towels. Serve warm. Makes approximately 16 to 20 (serves three to four).

Cuisine:
"Ethiopian"

-----

* Exported from MasterCook *

Siga Wot (Spiced Beef Stew)
Serving Size : 6

3 large onions -- chopped
3 tablespoons corn oil
3 tablespoons Chow (see below)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt -- to taste
2 cups water
1 1/2 pounds beef chuck -- cut into 1/2-inch cubes
CHOW:
1 garlic clove -- sliced
1 teaspoon grated ginger root -- or ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground caraway
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard seed
1/4 teaspoon ground avish -- not found in America
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon fresh hot red chili
1/4 teaspoon paprika

In dry pan over moderate heat, stir fry the onions for 4 minutes to reduce the bulk, stirring constantly. Add the oil and stir fry for about 1 minute longer.

Add the chow and tomato paste and continue to fry. Then add the salt and 1/4 of the water. Stir well. Add the beef cubes and the remaining water. Cover the pan and cook for 45 minutes, or until the beef is tender. There should be a moderate amount of sauce. Serve warm with Injeera.

CHOW: Process everything together into a smooth mixture that will be as thick as toothpaste. Refrigerate with a jar with a tight cover. Use when needed. Makes 1/2 cup.

Cuisine:
"Ethiopian"

------
I'm also going to make Jab, a cottage cheese and yogurt mixture that evidently is used as a garnish to the Ijeera or Injera (I'm seeing both spellings...) I think I got the recipe from the website I posted above. If not, I'll post it - it looks good too!

I'm going to make the Injera as large as I can and use it for a tablecloth as mentioned.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Ethiopian Fascination!!! cjs Oh, wouldn't that be...
Sounds great!

PJ
PJ

Re: Ethiopian Fascination!!! pjcooks [img]/ubbthreads/ima...
I've been hankering for lamb lately so I think I'll try the spicy lamb stew too. Oh this will be fun!!
Cis
oooooh and looky here for a Tef source:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Teff-Flour-1-lb_W0QQ...VQQcmdZViewItem
I'm thinking of buying this, it seems reasonable, what do you all think?
Cis
Empress for Life
Ethiopian Fascination!!!