I've never used saffron before. A couple months back I found a recipe that looked especially good (drooling). It said saffron added so much to this recipe that it should be not be made without it. I ordered a small amount, but didn't bookmark or print out the recipe. Now I can't remember what it was. I've found saffron in rice pilaf, bouillabaisse, risotto and paella recipes, but those weren't the one. Any other recipes where saffron brings a lot to the table?

Saffron Ron I've never used saff...
"I've found saffron in rice pilaf, bouillabaisse, risotto and paella recipes, but those weren't the one." - O.K., we can eliminate the above,but do you remember what the recipe was for? fish? pasta?

I've mentioned before I'm not a big fan of poached fish, but I'm thinking I may have to try this one (I have not as yet) because of the fennel and the saffron - think it would be a nice combination. But, if we knew more of the dish you were thinking of, I bet we could all come up with something...maybe

Seafood Poached in a Saffron-Fennel Broth

Recipe By :The American Culinary Federation
Serving Size : 10

1 1/2 quarts Fish Fumet
1 1/4 teaspoons Saffron -- crushed
1 each Sachet d'epices
4 fluid ounces Pernod
4 fluid ounces White wine
1 pound Fennel -- julienned
1 pound Tomato concassé
1 tablespoon Salt
1 teaspoon Black pepper -- freshly ground
1 pound Shrimp -- peeled and deveined, 16/20 count
1 pound Monkfish -- large dice
1 pound Scallops -- muscle tabs removed

Combine the fumet, saffron, sachet d'epices, Pernod, wine, fennel, and tomato concassé; Bring to a simmer and cook until the fennel is barely tender and the broth is well flavored, about 12 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

At the time of service, heat 8 ounces per serving, of the broth to a bare simmer (180°F). Add the seafood and poach at 165°F until it is just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Serve the fish in heated soup bowls with 3 to 4 ounces of broth.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Saffron cjs "I've found saffron ...
I'm having a major brain freeze on this. I'm thinking seafood - maybe shrimp or salmon? I know it was creamy, not tomatoey. I know it didn't have fennel, because I'm not a fennel fan. Probably the easiest way to find it would be to use up all the saffron on other recipes.

Re: Saffron Ron I'm having a major b...
It has to be some type of seafood dish but I can't imagine it with salmon---that would be an interesting revelation.

C'mon Ron, get those brain cells a-working!!!

I adore saffron---small amounts are great because it is the MOST expensive spice on the market. It does last for a long time, though. Cool dark place!!!

It's also great in certain sauces!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Saffron Roxanne 21 It has to be some ty...
"It's also great in certain sauces!!"

You know, that might be it. I love sauces and was researching sauces a couple months ago. I don't get into Joy Of Cooking, How to Cook or Mastering The Art of French Cooking very often, but I did read quite a few pages in them at that time. Don't have time today, but will check tomorrow.

Re: Saffron Ron "It's also great in ...
...and please let us know!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Saffron cjs ...and please let us...
"...and please let us know!"

I had time to do an index quick check, and under "saffron" the only pages listed were just a description of saffron itself. Under "sauces" there was no saffron listing (undoubtedly because it is a minor, not a major ingredient). Soooo....I'll have to find the time later this week to start going through the books page by page.
  Saffron Ron I've never used saff...
Just an aside: what a coincidence, Ron. Our soup du jour was Roasted Tomato and Saffron. Very very good.

Small world, isn't it?

PJ
PJ

Re: Saffron pjcooks Just an aside: what ...
Quote:

Just an aside: what a coincidence, Ron. Our soup du jour was Roasted Tomato and Saffron. Very very good.
Small world, isn't it? PJ

Saffron must be the herb of the month.

Re: Saffron Ron [blockquote]Quote:[h...
herb du jour, Ronnie...
www.achefsjourney.com
Saffron