My DD has been after for me for months to go to a chain restaurant that's been advertising a fried green bean appetizer. It hasn't been a priority, I'm afraid.

So, with a great squeal of excitement, she pounced upon the latest issue of C@H when she saw the recipe for Tortilla Fried Green Beans. We had to get the ingredients for the beans and sauce that very day.

Now, I have to say I was sceptical. I HATE frying food - it seems time-consuming and definitely makes a mess. We all know it's not healthy and frying vegetables, well, it just seems anti-healthy, kinda like frying Twinkies and Snickers bars.

Anyway, tonight I bit the bullet before all the produce we bought the other day went south. I followed the recipe exactly, including the avocado dipping sauce. I thought "This will never work." I couldn't believe you weren't supposed to at least blanch the beans first. I thought that enough of the batter and crumbs weren't clinging to the beans (but then, I always think that).

I told DH and kids I wasn't into this project, even as I was scooping the beans out of the hot oil.

I finished cooking the burgers on the grill and let everyone else help themselves to the green beans first.

And I have to say - I was WRONG! They were pretty near awesome! The flavor of the coating was very good (except there wasn't enough of it on the beans - there never is) and by gum if those usually undercooked green beans weren't perfectly cooked through after their sole minute in the hot oil!

Well, I am a mature woman. I can admit when I'm wrong. DS gave me grief for not making enough. They aren't something I'd want to make everyday, and I'm certainly not a frying convert, but this one recipe was pretty darned tasty.

Cheers - Beth

Fried Tortilla Green Beans bethcross My DD has been after...
They sound yummy to me,Beth. I'd love to try them, what issue is that? Either that recipe got by me, or maybe I didn't get that issue yet.
Cis
By the way WELCOME!
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Fried Tortilla Green Beans farnfam They sound yummy to ...
oh my, another mission!! I don't remember seeing them either!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Fried Tortilla Green Beans cjs oh my, another missi...
They are in the new issue June #63.

There are also recipes for Fried Parmesan Zucchini, and Fried Sesame Broccolini.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Fried Tortilla Green Beans bethcross My DD has been after...
Thank you for that lovely review! I haven't gotten that issue yet, but I sure look forward to it!
Tammy

Re: Fried Tortilla Green Beans TwilightKitten Thank you for that l...
When my FIL visited, he kept talking about a recipe similar to this but he didn't know the details. He'll be tickled if I can make them for him during his next visit.*

* Praying for patience.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Fried Tortilla Green Beans