I have @ half a can of coconut milk left from the Curry Buerre Blanc. Can I freeze it in an ice cube tray for later use? If not, what can I use it in before it spoils?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Coconut milk question farnfam I have @ half a can ...
Definitely, freeze----always a nice addition to those coconut Thai recipes. I have frozen this with great success!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
how funny, after the Ethiopian dinner, I searched for uses for l/o cottage cheese, yogurt and coconut milk....

but I agree with Roxanne, I have frozen it before. do you have MasterCook??? If so, do a search there - I have a lot of recipes I've entered, but there are also lots that come/came with the program.

coconut shrimp
coconut rice - this is good!
peanut sauce

oh, and just saw this one - I'll do this one with mine - I think I have enuf for a half recipe....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Floridian Shrimp Tomato Risotto
Serving Size : 4

2 pounds fresh Florida tomatoes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup long grain white rice
1 4 1/2-ounce can chopped mild green chilies
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple in juice -- drained, reserve 1/4 cup juice
1 cup curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
12 ounces shelled and deveined cooked shrimp

Use tomatoes held at room temperature until fully ripe. Core tomatoes; chop (makes about 5 cups); set aside. In a large saucepan heat oil until hot; add garlic and reserved tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have softened, about 3 minutes. Add coconut milk, rice, chilies, pineapple juice, 1/4 cup water, the curry powder and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes (some of the liquid will not be absorbed). Stir in shrimp and crushed pineapple; simmer until shrimp are hot, about 1 minute.

Source:
"Florida Tomato Committee"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Coconut milk question cjs how funny, after the...
Oh yum, anything with shrimp is good with us. But shrimp and a use for the coconut stuff, that's just double good
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Coconut milk question cjs how funny, after the...
This sounds really good. But....1 Cup of curry powder or do y'all know something I don't?

PJ
PJ

Re: Coconut milk question pjcooks This sounds really g...
Oh *****!! did not even see that - I'd say curry powder "to taste" -

(it's not a typo,I just copied and pasted...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I freeze all the time in ice cube trays. And I use the frozen in the curry beurr blanc. Works great!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I always have a bag of coconut milk cubes in the freezer-- roughly, each cube is about a tablespoon.

Also, in my never-ending quest to cut fat (esp the saturated stuff) from my cooking, I have found that using only half of the amount of coconut milk in a recipe and subbing a mixture of lowfat half & half and coconut extract works great. About 1 cup of lf half & half to 1 teaspon of coconut extract is good. To keep the extracts flavor from cooking away if I make something that requires a longer cooking time, I will add the extract near the end of the cooking.

And while I'm thinking about it, you need to be careful with the lf (and nonfat) half & half-- it tends to separate once it comes to a boil. Just keep the mixture at a simmer.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Coconut milk question foodfiend I always have a bag ...
Thanks for the tip Vicci. I try to watch the fat too, for hubby's sake.
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Coconut milk question farnfam Thanks for the tip V...
Fat? Did you say fat? What's that...do we need to keep it out of our cooking? For a minute I thought you were talking about my rotund body

Fredia and I once ate 2 pounds of cooked bacon and she had her cholesteral tested the next day...it was only 145
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Coconut milk question