Wow. It's so good that I'm taking a chicken and kosher salt to my parents when we visit next weekend and making them dinner (they will provide the Coke!).

And "spatchcocking" that chicken-- so easy! I worried about it, bought new (sharp!) scissors, and read the instructions over and over. And it was as simple as it sounded. I had no problems at all-- thanks to everyone for their help. I love learning new cooking techniques!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

That Coke-brined chicken! foodfiend Wow. It's so good t...
Ah another believer

When I said this was THE grilled chicken to beat I wasn't kidding

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! DFen911 Ah another believer ...
Thank you both for the review! This recipe will fit right in with my weight loss program.

Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! Half_Baked Thank you both for t...
I'll bet this is what I bought that bottle of Coke (in pantry) for.....now to find the recipe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! cjs I'll bet this is wha...
Here you go, Jean.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coke-brined Grilled Chicken

Recipe By : Cuisine at Home Magazine
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE CHICKEN AND BRINE--
1 whole chicken (4-6 lb.)
1 liter coca-cola
1/2 cup kosher salt
FOR THE RUB
Combine -- rub over chicken and grill:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons paprika
1 SERVE WITH:
Bourbon BBQ or Sweet Carolina Dipping Sauce

Butter fly the chicken. Poke about 6 holes in the underside of each chicken half--this helps the brine to soak deeply into the meat. Combine the Coke and salt in a large resealable plastic bag, stirring to dissolve the salt. Place the chicken halves in the brine, seal the bag, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Preheat the grill to high.

Combine the rub ingredients in a bowl. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels (discard the brine). Rub the paste over the chicken, then let it stand for 15 minutes.

Turn 1 side of the grill to low (maintain high heat on the other side). Arrange both chicken halves on the low-heat section, skin side down. Top the halves with a cast iron skillet and a brick. Cover and grill for 10 minutes, then rotate the chicken 45°. Reposition the skillet and brick on the chicken; grill for 10 more minutes, or until skin is crispy and brown.

Flip the chicken over and grill, without weight, for 20-30 minutes, or until it's 180° in the thigh.

Serve chicken with dipping sauces.

Source:

"CuisineAtHome, June 2007, pg 7"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! Mare749 Here you go, Jean.[b...
Thanks Maryann - even if it wasn't this one, this does sound very good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: That Coke-brined chicken! Mare749 Here you go, Jean.[b...
Quote:

Turn 1 side of the grill to low (maintain high heat on the other side). Arrange both chicken halves on the low-heat section, skin side down. Top the halves with a cast iron skillet and a brick. Cover and grill for 10 minutes, then rotate the chicken 45°. Reposition the skillet and brick on the chicken; grill for 10 more minutes, or until skin is crispy and brown.

Flip the chicken over and grill, without weight, for 20-30 minutes, or until it's 180° in the thigh.

Serve chicken with dipping sauces.

Do you use the side of the grill on high heat during this recipe?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! BarbaraS [blockquote]Quote:[h...
No, the chicken would grill over the low heat side.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! cjs No, the chicken woul...
Ahhhh, thank you...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! BarbaraS Ahhhh, thank you...[...
Bumping this cause it's grill season and it's what I'm doing tonight for dinner
That Coke-brined chicken!