Thot maybe we could begin a thread to get Billy jump started on his new cooking regime - Just healthy ones here!! Have fun Billy!

Dutch Meat Loaf
Don’t Eat Your Heart Out

15 oz. can tomato sauce
¼ c. water
2 T. prepared mustard
1 T. vinegar
1 lb. extra-lean ground round
1 c. bread crumbs
¼ c. egg substitute
1 med. onion, chopped
¼ tsp. pepper

Combine tomato sauce, water, mustard and vinegar.
Mix beef with bread crumbs, egg, onion, pepper and ¼ of the tomato sauce mixture.

Shape into a loaf pan. Pour enough sauce over top of meat loaf to coat.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour, basting often. Warm remaining sauce; serve over sliced meat loaf.
----
My note: first made 6/8/99 – great!

Old Fashioned Hash
Don’t Eat Your Heart Out

1 ½ c. coarsely ground left over roast or steak
3 coarsely ground cooked potatoes
½ onion, coarsely ground
¼ lb. fresh mushrooms, coarsely ground
1 green pepper, coarsely ground
¼ c. chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp. or less salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. black pepper
2/3 c low-fat evaporated milk
1/3 c. crushed corn flakes plus 1 T. olive oil for topping (optional)

Combine all ingredients except corn flakes and olive oil.
Grease a loaf pan with tub safflower margarine (nope, I’d use spray and real butter)
Mold hash into pan; sprinkle with corn flake topping, if desired.
Bake at 350 F. 30 minutes or till hot.
Serve with ketchup and mustard.
-----
My note: first made 12/18/94 – Super!

Linguine with Tuna Sauce
Don’t Eat Your Hear Out

3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 T. olive oil
½ c. chopped fresh parsley
1 bunch green onions with tops, chopped
½ tsp. chopped fresh basil or ¼ tsp. dried basil
1 lemon
6 ½ oz. can water pack tuna, drained
1 tsp. pepper
¾ lb. linguine, cooked

Combine tomatoes, oil, parsley, green onions and basil; cook 5-7 min.
Squeeze lemon over tuna.
Grate rind of lemon; sprinkle over tuna and toss with pepper.
Add to tomatoes and onion; cook 5-7 min. Serve over linguine.
---
My note: first made 9/25/95 – Very good, easy and fast!

------

Choices for a Healthy Heart has so many wonderful ideas, I don’t know where to start – my all time favorite that I make 3 or 4 times a year is the French Market Soup that I’ve posted every website I visit, I think…

FRENCH MARKET SOUP
Choices for a Healthy Heart

1 recipe of BEAN SOUP STOCK (below)

3 tablespoons dry yellow split peas
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup dry black-eyed peas
2 1/2 tablespoons dry green split peas
1/4 cup dry pinto beans
2 1/2 tablespoons dry pink beans or small red beans
2 1/2 tablespoons dry garbanzo beans
2 1/2 tablespoons dry lentil beans
2 1/2 tablespoons dry lima beans
1 1/2 tablespoons dry mung beans
1/3 cup dried black beans
1 can plum tomatoes -- (28 ounce) diced
2 medium yellow onions -- chopped
6 stalks celery -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 - 2 chicken breasts -- skinned, boned and diced

In a stock pot, heat stock just to boiling (do not boil); reduce heat to simmer. Thoroughly wash peas, barley and beans; add to stock. Add tomatoes, onions, celery and garlic; simmer, covered, 3 hours, or until beans are tender. Add chicken; cook 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.

NOTE: This soup is sensational and well worth the effort. Finding all these types of beans may require shopping in more than one supermarket. The dry beans will keep for months. As a timesaver, measure out the beans for several recipes and store them in plastic bags. (Note: I make this soup so often, that this is what I do and the bags of beans are always ready to go!!)

SERVING SUGGESTION: Good with homemade bread and fresh seasonal fruit.
8 quarts (32 cups)
You can use the qty of various beans listed below, or substitute 1 lb. mixed beans and add ¼ cup barley

Approx. nutritional content per cup of French Market Soup –
Cal: 68; carb: 10g; chol: 8 mg; fat: Tr; Sodium: 240 mg;

BEAN SOUP STOCK

2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon marjoram
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons celery seed
1 meaty ham hock -- about 2 1/2-3 pounds
3 quarts water
1 tablespoon salt
FRENCH MARKET SOUP

Measure parsley, thyme, marjoram, bay leaves and celery seed into a square of cheesecloth and tie cloth securely at the top with a string. Combine with ham hock, water and salt in a stock pot. Bring slowly to a boil, removing scum (and fat) as it floats to the top. Cover and simmer 2 ½ - 3 hours.

(Do not boil or fat will be reabsorbed into the broth, making it cloudy.) Refrigerate overnight. Skim and discard fat that floats to the top. Cut ham off bone, reserving only very lean meat. Dice and return to stock pot with seasoning pouch. Discard ham bones and ham fat. Use stock at once, or store in refrigerator or freezer for later use. 3 quarts

APPROXIMATE NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER CUP
Total calories: 16 Protein: 3 g Carbohydrates: Tr Cholesterol: 5 mg , Fat: Tr
Sodium: 240 mg
Percentage of calories from: Protein: 50% Carbohydrates: 19% Fat: 31 %
Don't be too concerned with the high percentage of calories from fat in this recipe. The calories of the stock are so low that even a trace of fat will elevate the percentage.

----
And lastly here’s a Marinara Sauce –

28 oz. can plum tomatoes, diced (or use fresh)
2 T tomato paste
½ tsp each: oregano, dried basil (or ¼ cup fresh), black pepper
1 T. olive oil
¼ tsp. cider vinegar

In a med. saucepan, combine tomatoes, tom. paste, oregano, basil and pepper.
Simmer 20 minutes (don’t allow to boil). Stir in olive oil and vinegar. Simmer 10 more min.

Approx. nutritional content per ¼ cup:
Cal: 22; protein: Tr; Car: 3 g; Chol: 0 mg; fat: Tr; sodium: 60 mg

That’s all for now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Ideas For BillyJ!! cjs Thot maybe we could ...
Thanks Jean, you're a gem! We were trying to figure out what to have for breakfast that was low sodium. She's only allowed 2 grams of sodium per day. We decided on a scrambled egg sandwich. Here's how it came out:

1 slice of whole wheat bread = 150mg sodium = (2) 300mg
1 egg = 70mg sodium = (2) 140mg
1 Tbs mayonnaise = 90mg sodium = 90mg

That's 530mg sodium in one sandwich or 1/4 of her daily allowance. Hell, even whole milk with vitamin D added = 125mg per cup. If you use a water softener, which is a kind of salt, there's more sodium
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Ideas For BillyJ!! bjcotton Thanks Jean, you're ...
I have been going through my cookbooks and am absolutely horrified at how much sodium is in the recipes. I've never noticed it before since I focus on cholesterol and fat grams.

Gosh, this will really be tough. Do y'all like whole grains because you could build great menus around those.

Sounds like you will have to cook with gallons of bottled water.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.

Re: Ideas For BillyJ!! Half_Baked I have been going th...
I NEVER add salt to any recipe----or should I say added to what the recipe calls for??? And then cut back---once you are used to less salt taste---piece of cake---I HATE the extra salt.

FUNNY---the other day I was short of a bread for a lunch---did a quick stop in to one of the local "reputable" markets for a French bread loaf for a brie/camembert and fruit type luncheon---the bread was SOOOOO salty I (WE) could not eat it---- Had to settle for Matzos and Savoys (sort of Ritz)--- the good thing from this incident??? Now I will make my own French breads ala Julia Child---when I have the time--- (or not purchase from that particular establishment again!!!)

Last word---stay away from SALT!!!! Use as little as possible---one gets used to it after a bit of time and then don't notice it until added is there----keep rambling, Rox!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Ideas For BillyJ!! Roxanne 21 I NEVER add salt to ...
I managed to keep Fredia almost within bounds today, 2270mg of sodium. Drove me nuts, but I did manage one day.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Ideas For BillyJ!! bjcotton I managed to keep Fr...
Good luck with that, Billy. I'm thinking that you will be real busy for a while reading every label on everything you use. I hope that the hospital sends a licensed dietician out to see you, to help you plan menus. Do they do that on your side of the country?

They do that here, and it's very helpful because it's all so overwhelming at first, and the dietician can give you some great advice, based on what you actually like to eat.

Keep us posted on what you learn as you go along.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Ideas For BillyJ!! Mare749 Good luck with that,...
Honey Mustard Dressing
16 servings

3/4 c mayo
1/3 c vege oil
1/4 c honey
1/4 c lemon juice
1 T. fresh parsley, minced
1 T. prepard mustard
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. minced onion flakes (I use real)
1/2 T. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. horseradish

Whisk together all ingred. in a bowl till smooth.

Cal: 100; fat: 8g; chol: 3mg; carb: 8g; sodium: 85mg

I'm thinking a serving size would be about 1 1/2 T. (I'm finding that is plenty on a salad...who'd a thunk it?? )

-----

Billy, [Email]C@H's[/Email] Turkey Tortilla Soup has 306mg sodium.
-----

Penne Pasta with Lemon and Basil

4 oz. penne pasta
2 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
Juise of 1 large lemon (3 T.)
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil
1 T. fresh parsley, minced
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tsp. grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to pkg. Drain, RESERVING 3 T. OF THE PASTA WATER.

In a med. pot, heat oil and garlic for 1 min. over med-high heat.

Add lemon zest and juice, half the basil, half the parsley, and the resevered pasta water.
Remove from heat; add the cooked pasta and stir till the liquid is absorbed. Fold in the remaining basil and parsley. Season liberally with pepper.

Divide between 2 plates and sprinkle with cheese.

Per serving: cal: 268; fat: 6g; chol: 1mg; sodium: 41mg

---

AND, I know you all love your potatoes and they are really low in sodium!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Ideas For BillyJ!! cjs Thot maybe we could ...
Billy, I made the meatloaf again yesterday (YUM - had a meatloaf sandwich for the first time for a LONG time!!!) and I worked the above recipe over a little.

Now, it depends on if you want a 'gravy' with your meatloaf - I didn't, so I cut the first four ingredients in half (in fact, I didn't even add any water) and used 1/4 cup in the meatloaf (used the amounts called for) and used the rest over the top as it cooked. I didn't baste it either, just let a nice 'tomato crust' form as it baked. This will reduce the level of sodium a lot - also, you could use the marinara recipe in place of the canned tomato sauce.

Homemade marinara sauce - 4 1/2 cups = 60 mg. sodium
Hunt's tomato sauce - 8 oz. = 360 mg. sodium

(when I had two + freezers I always had marinara sauce on hand and never bot the commercial tomato sauce...maybe I really should throw something out and go back to doing this again! )

Dutch Meat Loaf
Don’t Eat Your Heart Out

15 oz. can tomato sauce
¼ c. water
2 T. prepared mustard
1 T. vinegar
1 lb. extra-lean ground round
1 c. bread crumbs
¼ c. egg substitute
1 med. onion, chopped
¼ tsp. pepper

Combine tomato sauce, water, mustard and vinegar.
Mix beef with bread crumbs, egg, onion, pepper and ¼ of the tomato sauce mixture.

Shape into a loaf pan. Pour enough sauce over top of meat loaf to coat.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour, basting often. Warm remaining sauce; serve over sliced meat loaf.
---

And, for us watching our weights....I also subbed a couple of items because of neccessity and/or flavor... I didn't have egg substitute, so used one large egg and for the break crumbs, I used 1/2 cup panko and 1/2 cup Quaker oatmeal (I love oatmeal in my meatloaf). Worked it up and I got 12 nice slices out of the loaf (thinner for sandwiches, not thick for like dinner service) and that works out to 3 points for one slice. I was a happy little camper with my meatloaf sandwich - one slice of bread.

So, Fredia can win and us 'chubs' can win also!!!
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Ideas For BillyJ!! cjs Billy, I made the me...
We have a large array of salt-free cans of tomatos, sauces, tomato paste etc and I think it Heinz. Of course homemade would be far superior to anything canned.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.

Re: Ideas For BillyJ!! Half_Baked We have a large arra...
I was editing as you were posting, Jan - that's a good idea.

Billy, here's another one I just entered into M.C. - I've made it three times in the last month or so (which is unheard of for me!) Roy absolutely loves this! I grill mine, but broiling would work also.

* Exported from MasterCook *

GRILLED SIRLOIN WITH FRESH TOMATOES AND OLIVES *****

Recipe By : Weight Watchers (I think)
Serving Size : 4

8 small plum tomatoes -- peeled, seeded and chopped*
12 large kalamata olive -- pitted and sliced
1 Tablespoon fresh oregano -- minced (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
2 cloves garlic -- minced
Freshly ground pepper -- to taste
15 ounces sirloin steak -- lean, well-trimmed boneless

Prepare grill.
Spray a med. nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat 30 seconds.

Add the tomatoes, olives, oregano, garlic and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, 5 min. or till thickened.
Set aside and keep warm.

Grill the steak for ~10 min. for rare, turning once.
Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 5 min. before slicing.

Divide evenly among 4 plates, top each portion with 1/4 cup of the sauce and serve at once.

*if fresh plum tomatoes are not available, sub an equal number of chopped drained canned Italian plum tomatoes - no salt added.

198 cal; 8g fat; 76mg chol; 185mg sodium, 4g carb; 1g fiber; 26g protein

Description:
"A Roy favorite! 4 points"

NOTES : Topping grilled steak with two quintessentially Mediterranean foods.

-----
and for the "Chubby Crew" - IT'S ONLY 4 POINTS!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
Ideas For BillyJ!!