Here's the recipe - they are fun to make and eat!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Steamed Chicken Buns

Recipe By :Heart Smart Chinese Cooking

Dough:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1/2 tsp white vinegar
10 squares waxed paper or parchment paper -- (3 inch)
Filling:
1 1/4 lb. ground skinless chicken
1 tbsp peeled and finely grated ginger
1/2 cup finely chopped Chinese chives
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tin water chestnuts -- (7 1/2 oz.) drained and finely chopped
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp Chicken stock (p. 3) or Rich Pork Stock (p. 8)
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp cornstarch

1. Sift together flour and baking powder. Stir in icing sugar and rub in oil with fingertips till evenly distributed.
Combine water and vinegar and add slowly to flour mixture, mixing well. Knead to form a fairly soft dough.
Shape dough into smooth ball, cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients; mix well and refrigerate.

3. To make buns, divide dough into 10 portions and mould each into smooth ball.
Roll out on lightly floured board to 4" circle. Put spoonful of filling in center of circle and gather edges towards middle.
Fold, pleat and pinch dough to seal.
Place each bun gathered-side down on square of parchment paper. Repeat procedure with balance of ingredients.

4. Heat steamer over boiling water. Space buns in steamer, cover and steam for 20 min. Serve warm. Cooked buns can be refrigerated overnight and reheated by steaming for 3 minutes before serving. Serves 10

Author's note: Solid Fats vs. Oils
We've used oil rather than the traditional lard in this dough. Lard is 43% saturated fat and has 12 mg of cholesterol per tbsp, whereas a vegetable oil such as canola oil is only 7% saturated and contains no cholesterol. Wherever possible use vegetable oil in recipes instead of a solid animal fat like lard, butter (68% satu-rated) or beef tallow (48% saturated). And experiment with cutting the total fat by 1/4 to 1/2 of what is called for. (These substitutions are less straightforward in baked goods. )

Each serving: cal: 274; carb: 28g; protein: 20g; fat: 8g; chol: 51 g; fiber: 1g; sodium: 221mg

Description:
"I first made these 1/15/06 and I made a note to try with a plum sauce next time - haven't done it yet."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All cjs Here's the recipe - ...
YUM, thanks Jean! These sound very good. Maybe with egg drop soup on the side (made with egg sub of course). Suggestions on rounding out the meal? Wish I could get my hands on some bok choi.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All farnfam YUM, thanks Jean! T...
I think I served with a Phad Thai...or maybe Singapore Noodles...or a stir fry - in other words, I don't remember I guess!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All cjs I think I served wit...
Planning to cook this tonite. I don't have a steamer, at least I don't think I do. I have a double boiler and a thing that has holes in it where you could put custard cups in and they cook in the steam, but the buns would fall thru those holes. What else could I use?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All farnfam Planning to cook thi...
Do you have lettuce or spinach or something like that, with which you could line the bottom of your pot / pan?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All Lorraine Do you have lettuce ...
I've got some Romaine leaves, you mean put some leaves over the holes, and then put the buns on top? That seems like it would work. Do you think the steaming time would change?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All farnfam I've got some Romain...
"Place each bun gathered-side down on square of parchment paper."

did you miss this in the recipe?????
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All cjs "Place each bun gath...
Quote:

"Place each bun gathered-side down on square of parchment paper."

did you miss this in the recipe?????

No, I didn't miss that part, I just think they'd fall thru the holes in the type of steamer I have. It's the kind that holds the little custard cups over the steam and the holes are 2-3". I suppose, now that you mention it, I could put the buns in the little cups, and put the cups in the holes, and the green grass grows all around and around.....walks off humming...
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All farnfam [blockquote]Quote:[h...
"did you miss this in the recipe?????'

I assumed she didn't have any. I'm so glad it's Friday.
  Re: Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All farnfam I've got some Romain...
Some of my Dim Sum recipes call for lining the bamboo steamer with leaves, so I think it'll be fine. Maybe remove the thick ribs. Good luck, they are delicious!!!!
Steamed Chicken Buns for Cis and All