Hey everybody, I have to tell you that after participating on this forum for a while now, all of you gardeners must have had some positive influence on me because I have a wonderful little garden now. (Thanks to my hubbie, of course) It's no secret that I have had a black thumb for years, but that seems to be changing to a subtle shade of green.

This is what we started with: 3 varieties of peppers, 4 varieties of tomatoes, 2 varieties of basil, sage, greek oregano, and italian parsley, green onions, french radishes, green beens, sunflowers, a patch of wild flowers, and 2 varieties of pumpkins. Since I finally took an interest in gardening this year, Ron fenced the whole thing in for me to keep the deer out. (We hope!)

Thanks to all of you and your good advice, as it helped me get started and I am enjoying it so much! So, I would love to hear about everyone else's garden now.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

How does your garden grow??? Mare749 Hey everybody, I hav...
Congrats on your greener thumb! Glad things are growing nicely for you. My stuff is doing very well, as well. I'm going to have a lot of tomatoes, my herbs are sucking up the sun and are flavoring just about everything I make.

I get so spoiled this time of year, able to run out back and pick a sprig of this or that.

PJ
PJ
We have a small garden with 4 varieties of tomatoes plus tomatillos (bearing lots of fruit!), 3 varieties of peppers, two varieties of eggplant, zucchini, cukes, brussel sprouts, and asparagus. For herbs, we have thyme, basil, oregano, tarragon, sage, rosemary, lavender, cilantro, parsely, and chives. I've always had herbs. My husband is the vegetable gardener.

Next year we are planning to do some 'square foot' gardening in raised beds with campanion planting. I've ordered a couple of books and we're in the learning and planning phase.

Re: How does your garden grow??? HomeCulinarian We have a small gard...
I would love to hear more about that as you learn, HC. I'll look for some books on that as well.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: How does your garden grow??? Mare749 I would love to hear...
I am missing my garden this year. I grew some things simply because I liked to watch them grow, then gave them away. Pulling weeds is a good stress reliever too, or when you're mad at someone/thing, it helps that too.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: How does your garden grow??? bjcotton I am missing my gard...
Quote:

Pulling weeds is a good stress reliever too, or when you're mad at someone/thing, it helps that too.

Explains why I'm pretty much weed free these days.

PJ
PJ

Re: How does your garden grow??? pjcooks [blockquote]Quote:[h...
I stuck pretty much to tomatoes (5 or 6 different) and herbs this year. Altho, Roy did plant two zucc plants 'out back.'

But, this is not tomato growing climate - they are just barely beginning to develop any 'fruit' Hopefully before winter comes I'll get some...

But I agree, we do get spoiled this time of year being able to just pop out and get our fresh herbs. This is the time of year we start talking about a green house - one of these years we will do that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
It sounds like you have a wonderful garden! I'm growing:
3 kinds of tomatoes (couldn't find sun gold this year )
jalapenos
bell peppers
some other kind of hot pepper that I can't remember the name of
eggplant
cantaloupe
cucumbers
some tomatillos and squash (don't know what kind yet) that I didn't plant this year but popped up.

Oh, and lots of weeds. I also bought beet and corn seeds but never did get around to planting them. Oh, well.
Tammy

Re: How does your garden grow??? TwilightKitten It sounds like you h...
You really ought to plant the beets so you can can them. We're going to [if we don't get around to planting them in Marilee's garden] buy them so we can make pickled beets again. Ask Roxane how good they are
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Your garden sounds like heaven! If I only had the room... I'd love to have the sunflowers too.

I have three types of tomato plants in pots. I also planted 10 kinds of herbs that seem to be doing well in the ground. Something ate my basil plant though so I now have another basil plant growing in a pot instead. What would eat a basil plant... lizards? mice? We don't have bunnies in the backyard. It definitely looks "munched" on though.

I'm hoping I don't kill my tomatoes. They seem to be growing ok, although I had to move them yesterday because it looked like bunnies had been snooping around them (droppings nearby). I only have actual tomato sprouts on my cherry tom. plant so I'm hoping the others will sprout soon.
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
How does your garden grow???