I came up with this the other night and we really enjoyed it. We usually just sauté sliced onions as a side dish, but I decided it was boring. Hence this dish.

* Exported from MasterCook *

NOTES : Adjust ingredients to the amount of red onions used.

Grilled Balsamic Onions

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 large red onions
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (1-2 Tbs)
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar (1-2)
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon lemon zest

Prepare charcoal or gas grill for direct, medium-high heat.

Peel the onions and slicing crosswise into 1/3-1/2" thick slices . Stir the oil, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and pepper, add the onions and mix well.

Using a grill skillet, brush with oil or non-stick spray. Drain the onions with a slotted spoon and place in the skillet. Reserve oil mixture.

Place skillet on grill and cook, stirring occasionally until brown and limp, 15-20 minutes.

Return onions to reserved oil mixture, stirring to coat.

Yield:
"5 cups"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Grilled Balsamic Onions bjcotton I came up with this ...
Billy, I was given a similar recipe recently. No idea who came up with the idea or where they saw it, but basically, this is it. Take a medium size onion, cut off the top, but not the bottom, so that it will hold together. Cut from the top, almost to the bottom, into eighths. Drizzle with a little olive oil, then balsamic, then sprinkle with a little brown sugar. Wrap in foil and put on the grill until nice and soft and carmelized, 30 to 34 minutes.

This is quick, easy, and a great way to do a bunch of them.
Vidalia's are especially good this way.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Grilled Balsamic Onions Mare749 Billy, I was given a...
I'll have to try that Maryann...here I thought I'd come up with an original

Billy

Re: Grilled Balsamic Onions bjcotton I'll have to try tha...
But you did, Billy! It is your own, and I'll bet it's great. I know I'm going to try it! I have a feeling the onions get more carmelized your way.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Grilled Balsamic Onions bjcotton I'll have to try tha...
Billy, Billy, there is nothing new under the sun in the world of cooking - we all just tweek differently!

Your 'sauce' would be awfully good basted on thick onion slices (with a skewer thru them) grilled right on the grill. My favorite way to do onions. duly copied!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Grilled Balsamic Onions cjs Billy, Billy, there ...
Well Jean my dear, I'll just add that to the recipe as an optional way of doing it. Would you marinate them first or just baste them as they cook?

Billy

Re: Grilled Balsamic Onions bjcotton Well Jean my dear, I...
I'd just baste them - with the sugar, I'd wait till they were getting tender, so they don't burn.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Grilled Balsamic Onions cjs I'd just baste them ...
Thanks dear one!

Billy
Grilled Balsamic Onions