Okay, a few months ago I was whining about having weekend guests and being tired because I felt that I had to do it all myself and asked for some easy, do-ahead, tried & true recipes which could help. Well what I got (in addition to some great recipes) were a lot of suggestions on how I should be allowing others to contribute, to help. I took it to heart and did just that. Last weekend was the first opportunity I had to do this and I thought I’d share the results.

First, I started out small. I prepared a tentative menu for all of the meals, decided what I could make ahead, what I could put together easily, and what items others could bring. I sent the entire menu to everyone, with notes on which items would be brought by whom, and I have found out that there are some friends who can be relied on and some who cannot!

First, I asked George & Tammy to bring a tossed salad. The rest of that dinner menu consisted of pasta, a blueberry vinaigrette for the salad, and a berry tiramisu for dessert. Tammy said that she noticed the type of vinaigrette and was inspired—she made a wonderful salad with mixed greens, chopped pear, blueberries, goat cheese, and pine nuts!

Next. George & Tammy provided fresh fruit for both breakfasts and brought a great assortment of melon, peaches, raspberries, strawberries, Ranier cherries, & blueberries. She prepared the fresh fruit bowl for each breakfast and it was great not to have to go to that trouble to prepare!

Also for breakfast, Ted brought a very interesting assortment of gourmet jams and jellies to go with my 5-grain toast (and a frittata). I also asked him and his wife to bring cookies for a picnic lunch. Well, Millie was unable to make it, becoming ill at the last minute, but she sent two beautiful trays of homemade cookies. She gets a lot of points in my book!

George brought enough liquor to keep us all under the table for a week, and he spent a good deal of time at the blender, mixing up frozen delights. And this, I have to add, was unasked for—he just arrived with a big ol’ carton of booze and mixers. What a guest!

Another couple forgot to bring the cheese and crackers for munching on the boat during the afternoon, but did remember to stop at a bakery and buy an angel food cake for dessert (I served slices of it grilled with grilled pineapple and mango slices and a lime glaze).

Okay, it doesn’t sound like much—a tossed salad, breakfast fruit, jams, cookies… but having someone else doing these gave me some time and I’m so grateful. And now I know that I can do it! Next time, maybe I’ll ask for more…

Also, I was quite proud of myself on another level. For the veggie skewers I had an assortment of zucchini, yellow squash, red bell peppers, and eggplant. Tammy asked to help and I thought, okay she can cut these to skewer. I gave her the squash and told her to cut them into ¾” slices. As I left to get my kitchen ruler (!!!!), she just started chopping away. I was a bit dismayed to see that the slices were ranging from 1” to 1 ½”, but I said nothing. Likewise for the red peppers and eggplant, which were cut in non-even, non-uniform pieces. My husband noticed and was proud of me. I let it go! I went with the flow! Good heavens, who knows where I’ll end up now?!?!?

Oh, I also bought a premade veggie tray with premade dip. I am becoming a sloth!!!

But it was fun, and easier, and I thank all of those who gave me the encouragement to give this a try!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

On making entertaining easier-at last! foodfiend Okay, a few months a...
Vicci, let me be the first to congratulate you!!! I am so proud of you because I know how hard that was for you to let go and just trust that it would all turn out just fine. And it sounds like it was a complete success!

I'm sure that your friends felt good bringing something and sharing their talents with you too. And if a few things were less than perfect, it doesn't matter. I'll bet your hubbie was very proud of you!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Good for you! I'm glad to see you're letting go a bit. I just sent my kitchen ruler to the sewing room.
Anything that needs a ruler in my kitchen these days, doesn't need to be made

Glad you're relaxing a bit and sharing the load. I'm trying to do the same!

PJ
PJ

Re: On making entertaining easier-at last! pjcooks Good for you! I'm g...
That's great, Vicci! It sounds like most of your friends happily stepped up to the plate! (lol, that was not meant as a pun )
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: On making entertaining easier-at last! pjcooks Good for you! I'm g...
and then there's measuring. One is one with an actual instrument (ruler) and the other is done with a different standard -ie, the length of a dinner-fork tine as opposed to a salad-fork tine, or cutting one length of something and the rest to fit the first length. I used to teach middle school math and one of our exercises was to measure things with non-traditional standards. For example their desks were so many paperclips long as opposed to so many index cards long. Regardless of the standard, the graphs were identical. Sorry, I ranged off-topic.

Well, there's measuring lxxf and then there's mea...
Lxxf, that's how I do it these days. It took me a while to realize I'm no longer in cooking school and my julienne and brunoise (old) skills just aren't applicable with the work I do now. No more cutting veggies into 7 sided football shapes, either!!( how many of us hated that exercise)

Nope, I've learned your way is perfectly acceptable and adaptable.

PJ
PJ

Re: Well, there's measuring pjcooks Lxxf, that's how I d...
"No more cutting veggies into 7 sided football shapes, either!!( how many of us hated that exercise)" - Oh, my Chef Bui was such a stickler....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Well, there's measuring cjs "No more cutting veg...
Fun to be on our own!!
PJ
PJ
Thanx for letting us know how things turned out. It sounds to me like most of your friends enjoyed contributing and helping.

I know, too, how hard it is to give instructions and when the outcome isn't exactly what you meant, you can finally bring yourself take a pause and ask... does it REALLY matter? The answer almost always is "no".
oh my, Vicci!! I just want to know how many holes you have in your tongue from biting it... GOOD FOR YOU!! I'll bet your guests felt better about themselves by being a part of this and being able to help you.

"George and Tammy" - are you kidding????? That's so funny. and do they sing?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
On making entertaining easier-at last!