Hello there,

I would like the recipe for Black and Blueberry Pie from the last issue. The magazine was pulled yesterday from the shelves. TIA!

ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie love2bake Hello there,[br][br]...
WHAAAA!!!!!! I don't have that issue YET___but that sure sounds interesting!!!!

Anybody out there with Issue #64------????????

Blackberries are at a premium here when available---maybe about a week per year. I used to pick them by the baskets when a child on the farm in New Hampshire---my Granny made the BEST blackberry pies ever!!! I must add--blueberries were prevalent on the farm as well---I miss those days!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie Roxanne 21 WHAAAA!!!!!! I don't...
Quote:

WHAAAA!!!!!! I don't have that issue YET___but that sure sounds interesting!!!!

Anybody out there with Issue #64------????????

Blackberries are at a premium here when available . . .

Think I'm missing a couple C@H issues, too, Roxanne. Can anyone tell me what was on the cover of issues 63 and 64??

Jean and PJ, both your recipes sound delicious! Since last Saturday, berries here have been sinfully cheap ($1 a QUART for blue, black, red and black rasp's, boysen, straw...every berry out there) and intensively, naturally sweet! I cannot recall ever seeing any berry so inexpensive, not even when we go to the "pick-your-own" farms. Not that this is a complaint of any kind...we've been busy baking, freezing, canning, and eating them, of course! Taking advantage of them while they are out. Made that mixed berry trifle from issue 44 (I think that's the issue). In a word: yummy!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie love2bake Hello there,[br][br]...
Welcome, love2bake and hi again, Roxanne,

I'm heading over to word to type this up. Be back in a bit!

PJ

Here ya go,

“Black and Blue” Berry Pie

C@H #64 August 2007

For the dough-

Prepare 1 recipe flaky pie dough

For the filling-

Mash:
2 c fresh blueberries
2c fresh blackberries
¼c sugar
1t van extract
1/2t table salt

Minced zest of 1 orange
Juice of ½ an orange

Process and mix with; Toss with:

2Tinstant tapioca
2T cornstarch
3/4c sugar
2c fresh blueberries
2c fresh blackberries

Brush dough and sprinkle with:

Half and Half or whole milk
Cinnamon sugar

Pre heat oven to 425 w/rack in lower third. Coat a 9” glass pie plate with nonstick spray and line a baking sheet with foil.

Prepare pie dough and chill.

Mash 2 c of each berry for the filling with 1/4c sugar , van, salt, orange zest and juice.

Process tapioca in a coffee grinder until fine, then mix with the cornstarch and remaining ¾c sugar. Add cornstarch mixture to the mashed berries; fold in whole berries. Let filling stand while you roll out the dough and line the prepared pie plate . Pour the filling into the pie plate.

Roll out the second portion of dough and prepare a lattice top. Crimp edges. Sprinkle w/ cin-sugar and bake the pie on prepared baking sheet for 25 min on the lower rack. Reduce oven temp to 350 and continue baking until crust is golden and filling is thick and bubbly, 40-50 min more.

Cool completely before serving.

Enjoy!

PJ
PJ

Re: ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie pjcooks Welcome, love2bake a...
Quote:

Welcome, love2bake and hi again, Roxanne,

I'm heading over to word to type this up. Be back in a bit!

PJ

lol...boy am I glad you posted this...I was just about to go type it up too.
Tammy

Re: ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie TwilightKitten [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Hi, twilight, Several times I've typed something in only to find someone else had the same idea, too, so I thought this time, I'd announce myself!

Worked out well, I think

PJ
PJ

Re: ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie pjcooks Hi, twilight, Sever...
Good thinking---I have typed many a recipe in word and came back to post---Tammy ALWAYS beat me to it though----NOT complaining cause it is still accessible to send to dear daughter!!

Thanks PJ and Jean---those recipes are definitely on the to do list when berries are in season here----and when DH deserves a special sweet treat (which is always BUT!!!!)
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie TwilightKitten [blockquote]Quote:[h...
yeah, Tammy, I figured if someone didn't do it by tomorrow a.m., I'd be nice and do it....thanks PJ.

I love mixed berry pies/cobblers - I have one that my customer's just loved, and I don't think I've ever posted it. Will go look for it.

This is the best, bar none ( ) cobbler I've ever tasted or made or sold or whatever!

* Exported from MasterCook *

NORTHWEST BLACKBERRY COBBLER

Recipe By: a Chef's Journey

For the Filling:
6 cups berries -
3 c blackberries
1 c raspberries
1 c blueberries
1 c strawberries
1 1/4 c sugar
1/4 c a.p. flour
For the Batter:
2 c a.p. flour
1 c plus 1 T. sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk
8 Tbsps butter (1/4 lb.), unsalted and melted
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
----------
1 c heavy cream, whipped for garnish

Preheat oven to 350°.

Filling: Mix the berries, sugar, & flour in a large bowl, & pour into a 15" nonreactive oval baking dish.
Let stand ~35 min.

Batter: Combine the flour, 1 c. of sugar, b. powder & salt in food processor.
Process to combine; add milk & melted butter, beat till smooth.

Spoon the batter over the berries, making sure you spread it to the edges of the dish (to prevent any excess juice from boiling over).
Sprinkle the remaining 1 T. sugar and the nutmeg over the batter.

Bake in center of oven till the crust is brown and crisp on the outside & cooked all the way thru, & the berries are bubbling up thru it, ~ 1 hour.

Remove cobbler from oven & let cool for 10 min. before serving.
Serve the cream along side.

NOTES : 8-10 servings

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie cjs yeah, Tammy, I figur...
Sounds good, Jean-and easy! Will copy and print for the boys' cookbook, a T&T dessert recipe is always welcome.

Thanks

PJ
PJ
  Re: ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie pjcooks Welcome, love2bake a...
Flaky Pie Dough

Combine

2 1/2 c AP flour
1/4c sugar
1/2t table salt

Cut in:

1 stick (8T)unsalted, cold, cubed butter
1/2c shortening, cubed w/pastry blender until butter is pea size.

Add 1/3c ice water and blend w/fork, If needed, add more ice water until dough comes together. Divide in half, shape into discs, wrap in plastic and chill at least 30 min before rolling.

And now I'm going to have a glass of Australian Chardonnay!

PJ
PJ
ISO: Black and Blueberry Pie