Kaluha Hummer -
By the glass:
1 oz. kaluha (I have a wonderful homemade kaluha recipe if anyone wants it)
1 oz. light rum
2 scoops ice cream (vanilla, chocolate or coffee)

Thick, rich, luscious -- the dessert you drink.
Just blend all the ingredients briefly in a blender.

A perfect party favorite when served by the pitcher - oh yeah!

Banchees
1/2 oz. creme de cocoa
1 1/2 oz. creme de banana
approx. one cup vanilla ice cream

Put all the ingredients in a blender and add a little ice - blend till nice and smooth.

Ramos Fizzes - didn't we all drink these in the 70s & 80s?

6 oz. gin
2 oz. white creme de cocoa
2 oz. triple sec
4 oz. sweet & sour
2 egg whites
6 oz. half & half

Add all ingredients in a blender & add lots of ice. Blend.

Man, we loved these watching football years ago. (just found "GO BEARS" on one of the copies of this recipe - so that would have been in the early 80s.

Have fun all - and for those who have never tried them, you really should at least once in your life...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Some Gooooooood Drinks!! cjs Kaluha Hummer -[br]B...
Hummers and Banchees- I used to drink those, many moons ago, until I decided I'd rather eat my calories instead of drinking them

I've been making Kahlua for at least 25 years. Do you add glycerin to yours?

PJ
PJ

Re: Some Gooooooood Drinks!! pjcooks Hummers and Banchees...
Do you like coffee liqueur PJ? I've got a recipe that'll knock your socks off.

Fill a quart jar with coffee beans [whole], then pour 100 proof vodka to fill; add 1/2 cup sugar and shake well. As the coffee beans soak up the booze fill it again. Once the beans quit soaking up the booze, let it sit for about a month, shaking vigorously every few days until sugar is thoroughly mixed in. Be careful when you taste it, the booze and coffee flavor will knock your socks off! You can add more sugar if desired.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Some Gooooooood Drinks!! bjcotton Do you like coffee l...
Wow, Billy, this sounds fantastic! Like a little bit will go a long ways. Thanks for the recipe!

Patti
PJ

Re: Some Gooooooood Drinks!! pjcooks Wow, Billy, this sou...
It most certainly will Patti! I had a small bottle for almost a year before finally giving it away. We don't drink much and it was much stronger than Kahlua. I made my oldest brother's wife, Jackie, a drink with it. She likes Kahlua and cream but this stuff about floored her.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Ah the memories--I had my first in the Big Easy--Carrosel Lounge in the Monteleon Hotel. The only food we ate for two days was popcorn at the lounge--it was free with the drinks. We didn't want to spend money on food in those days--How did I survive my youth?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Ooooooh, yes, Jean, thems the Hummers! First had them about 20 years ago at lunch with three judges I used to work for, while going thru college. We went out for lunch one day and they ordered these for our after meal drink (err, drinks!) None of us went back to the office after lunch! (hee-hee!)

Went to look for my kahlua recipe and cannot find it. Have the one for Bailey's, creme de menthe, de cocoa, Limoncello, and others. I KNOW there was a kahlua in there because I used to make it and then make this Kahlua pie with it. Darn it! Would you mind posting it or emailing it so it can be replaced? Thanks!

Gotta make that kahlua pie, too!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda

Re: Some Gooooooood Drinks!! MUSICMAKER Ooooooh, yes, Jean, ...
Here's mine,Linda,

"Kahlua"

From the kitchen of Joy True (she has no idea where she got this recipe almost 30 yrs ago)

Mix:
4 oz. instant coffee
1 c hot water
Stir until dissoved.

Add:
8 c sugar
5 1/2 c water
Boil 5 min

Add:
750 ml vodka
Stir well.

Bottle. Add 1 Van bean, split, to each bottle.

Steep for 1 month.

Note from me- I used to add a tsp or maybe 1/2 (can't remember now) of glycerine to each bottle, but that was 20 yrs ago. It seemed to make it smoother, like the difference between coffee liquour and Kahlua.

You have the Bailey's recipe,which I just found, strange that I couldn't find my Kahlua recipe, either and had to call my Mom to get it-
I did find my sweetened condensed milk recipe, though, if anyone wants it!

PJ
PJ

Re: Some Gooooooood Drinks!! pjcooks Here's mine,Linda,[b...
I see how it is...my jello shooters just aren't enough for you all now eh?

Re: Some Gooooooood Drinks!! DFen911 I see how it is...my...
Talk about 'doing a person in' - those jello shooters darn near did!!

here's my Kahlua recipe - I guess they are all quite different.

* Exported from MasterCook *

KAHLUA

1 1/2 cups brown sugar -- packed
1 cup white sugar
2 cups water
1/2 cup Instant Yuban coffee -- Be sure & use Yuban (I've also used Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso with great results)
3 cups vodka
1/2 fresh Vanilla Bean -- split lengthwise

In a large saucepan stir together the sugars and the water; bring to a boil & boil for 5 min. Take off stove & stir in the instant coffee.

While the sugar mixture is boiling, pour the vodka in a large NON-plastic container and add the split vanilla bean.

Pour sugar mix. into the vodka and quickly cover with lid. Try to wait at least one week. Makes ~5 cups.

If you can't wait one or preferably two weeks - have lots of ice cubes to cool it off!! (we have been known to do this... )

-----
Galliano - oh the days of making this!! A friend (Kelly, some of you know) made this for a camping trip this summer (and loved it!), but she couldn't find pineapple extract anywhere. Maybe it's not made anymore, the stores couldn't even order it for her, so she used pineapple juice and it worked fine. (being a reduction queen , I bet if the pineapple juice were to be reduced, it would be even better in it.)

GALLIANO AND HARVEY WALLBANGERS

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
6 tsp. pineapple extract
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp. banana extract
½ tsp pure anise extract
5 drops yellow food coloring

Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan; boil gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.

Remove from heat and measure out 2 cups of the sugar syrup. Pour into a large container, let cool and add all extracts. Add 1 quart 100 proof vodka and food coloring. Shake or stir the container to blend the ingredients.

Makes approximately 1 1/2 quarts of liqueur.

For Harvey Wallbangers -
In a blender, put 1 part Galliano, 2 parts vodka and 6 parts orange juice. Add a sliced banana and blend until smooth and frothy. Note: Seems like we added ice also.... hmmm)

2 oz. Galliano
4 oz. vodka
12 oz. orange juice
1 whole banana

When our children were teenagers (early 70s), we dug and installed a swimming pool and the adults felt so elegant with the blender installed out on the deck with all the makings for Harvey Wallbangers - especially made from home made Galliano. Keep in mind this was a soft sided, above (partially) ground pool, but oh, were we ever elegant!!

------

BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM LIQUOR

2 eggs
1 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. chocolate syrup
1 T. pure vanilla extract
1/3 tsp. lemon extract
1/4 tsp. instant coffee
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 3/4 c Irish whiskey

Place all ingredients in blender; blend well.
Bottle and let mellow in refrigerator at least one week before serving.

We found this best after 1-2 weeks. Store in refrigerator.
Liqueur may be served at room temperature by removing from refrigerator an hour or two before serving.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Some Gooooooood Drinks!!