Ok...so the menu is a compilation of my dishes and some things she wanted.

Appetizers - Stuffed mushrooms, with ricotta, herbs and bread crumbs. Also stuff cherry tomatoes with crab and cream cheese.

Starter - my lobster ravioli with a basil cream sauce

Main course - Pan seared chicken breasts (finished in oven) with a white wine sauce made with the pan drippings and a cold salad with pomegranate vinaigrette, sliced pears and candied walnuts.

So yesterday I did all my shopping and made the stuffing for the tomatoes and the mushrooms. Also wrote out a time line.

Client calls me at 8pm to inform me that another will be joining the party and is that a problem? (thank goodness I planned for 2 extra)

Wednesday morning. Up bright and early to get a jump on a few things. Wanted to get my pasta made....but first a hearty breakfast for my family. Ok now to the pasta...oh my god..I did not just do that?! I did..seems I used all my eggs. Now I can't make th pasta. Hubby to the rescue! He jumps on his motorcycle and heads to the store to get eggs.

Hubby pulls up and runs in with the eggs and not one broken! Ok let's make pasta...oh my god you are kidding me!!! How can I be out of flour?!?!?! Is this someones idea of a sick a joke!? (oh this whole thing gets so much better)

My daughter is heading out the door to go to Target and offers to get the flour. Ok…breathing…

I’ll clean the tomatoes and mushrooms and start the lobster filling. Every big dinner is going to have a few mishaps..just roll with it..you have plenty of time. Daughter’s home and hands me the bag with the flour in it. I put it to the side since I’m working on the lobster stuffing. Ok…lobster stuffing made, tomatoes cleaned and mushrooms are ready. Let’s make some pasta….**begins to cry this just cannot be happening** while my daughter was so gracious in going to the store she bought the wrong kind of flour. I told her I needed just plain AP flour. So now I’m off to the store to get that exchanged.

I was in and out in a flash and back home before you knew it. Pasta time…oh no…ha! Actually it was pasta time and got my batches all made and they are currently resting in the fridge. That’s when the next tragedy hit. My hubby in all his concern for the fridge being open and closed so much, in our 104 degree heat (with humidity so bad I feel like I’m breathing under water), decided to put our big industrial fridge on what is called Holiday setting. This makes it cold…real cold…so cold it has frozen and ruined all of the basil I bought. Worst part is I bought out all the basil the store had. The other grocery store in our area closed.

I’m actually pondering when I should I start drinking at this point. It’s either vodka or a stroke. I have to go to 3 other stores in the outlaying areas to get the basil I need.

Back home with the basil. Quick check of email and to update you all. It’s the only way I can sit and breathe calmly. It’s time for me to head back in and roll out the pasta and stuff the ravioli.

I’ll update you later tonight at how the cooking part went. I sincerely hope all the mishaps were here at home and not more to come

Dinner Party Thus Far DFen911 Ok...so the menu is ...
Oh dear Denise, I wished I could have helped you with the basil, there's fields of it next to my sis' house and I have a new 5 lb bag of unbleached AP flour too, along with 5 dz extra-large eggs I bought a few days ago.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
oh my, if it can happen, it will!! Hopefully all the challenges are behind you now. good luck.

And your menu sounds good!! and wonderful for the weather you're having.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh, Denise, sounds like the story of my cooking life!! It always comes out okay in the end though, so hopefully, you've made it past the worst part!

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll pull it off!

PJ
PJ

Re: Dinner Party Thus Far pjcooks Oh, Denise, sounds l...
OHHH Denise---sounds like a SOUTH AFRICAN moment READ: NIGHTMARE!!!! You have (had) it all under control---let us know the final!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Dinner Party Thus Far Roxanne 21 OHHH Denise---sounds...
Ok part two is posted on my blog. It was too long for a post here

But what a night it was!

Re: Dinner Party Thus Far DFen911 Ok part two is poste...
How very proud you should be of your daughter!!! I think the USA needs more of her intelligent/thinking personna!!!

It's wonderful that she participates in Mom's escapades---a family affair, indeed!!!

I really envy your energy, Denise!!! What a very special evening you created!!!

Would you be willing to do a South African "THANG" ???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Dinner Party Thus Far Roxanne 21 How very proud you s...
Roxanne I would love it!!

Phase II of my business plan goes into affect on Sept 1st and that's the gift certificates that the agents in my office can purchase.

Let the games begin (I feel like I should be lighting an olympic torch or something hahaha)
Denise, I just read your blog and want to congratulate you on a job well done! Hugs to both you and your amazingly mature daughter for behaving like true professionals. You helped your daughter learn some invaluable lessons with that experience. I'm astounded at your patience, but then you love what you do, so that's why you are now a chef. I hope that all your hard work will be rewarding and that you will make a few bucks besides!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
You have a wonderful family and your daughter sounds like an absolute angel! They must be so proud of you too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Dinner Party Thus Far