Jean suggested this as our next dinner party recipe. Great idea, so here it is!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Newburg Pot Pie with puff pastry

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE BROTH: prepare and combine
2 5-6 oz. lobster tails
3 ounces large shrimp
1/2 cup russet potato -- peeled and diced
1/4 cup carrot -- diced
FOR THE FILLING: Sweat in 2 T. unsalted butter; whisk in:
1/4 cup leeks -- diced
1 T. garlic -- minced
3 T. all purpose flour
DEGLAZE WITH; ADD:
2 T. dry sherry
1/2 cup reserved seafood broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup frozen peas
OFF HEAT; STIR IN:
Reserved seafood and vegetables
2 ounces lump crabmeat
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
salt, white pepper and cayenne to taste
FOR THE PASTRY TOP----Prepare: Brush with:
1 sheet puff pastry -- thawed
1 egg -- lightly beaten w/ 1 T. water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare lobster tails, cutting both sides of the shell (not the meat) down to the fan. Remove meat, reserving shells for broth. Peel and devein shrimp, then halve lengthwise; reserve meat and shells.

Combine seafood shells, potato and carrot in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer until vegetables are fork tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain, reserving vegetables and 1/2 cup broth; discard shells and remaining broth.

Sweat leeks and garlic in butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until leeks are translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with sherry. Add reserved broth, whisking until smooth and thickened; stir in cream and peas.

Off heat, stir in reserved seafood and vegetables, crab, lemon juice, herbs, and seasonings. Mixture will be very thick.

Prepare puff pastry, rolling out on a floured surface to 1/8" thick. Trim around a 2 1/2-cup ovenproof dish so the pastry is 3 /4 larger than the diameter of the dish.

Cut vents in the pastry with a knife so steam can escape. Transfer filling to the dish and top with the pastry piece. Trim excess pastry, crimp edges, then brush dough with egg wash. Bake pot pie on the prepared baking sheet
until top is golden and filling is bubbly, 20 - 25 minutes.

Description:
"Shrimp, lobster, and crab in a rich sherry cream sauce"
Yield:
"2 1/2 cups"
Start to Finish Time:
"1:25"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Newburg Pot Pie recipe Mare749 Jean suggested this ...
I was actually getting ready to type this in, settled down here with my glass of wine, put my feet up and POOF! there it was! Painless indeed

Thanks, Maryann

PJ
PJ

Re: Newburg Pot Pie recipe pjcooks I was actually getti...
I am soooo in. This is a dish all even the picky one ( Hello PJ??) will eat.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Newburg Pot Pie recipe Lorraine I am soooo in. This...
Quote:

I am soooo in. This is a dish all even the picky one ( Hello PJ??) will eat.

YES!!

PJ
PJ
  Newburg Pot Pie recipe Mare749 Jean suggested this ...
This sounds incredible. Personally, I would replace the shrimp with more lobster (or maybe crawfish), but what a great recipe idea. An EXPENSIVE recipe idea, but a great one.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Newburg Pot Pie recipe labradors This sounds incredib...
labradors, have you done a dinner party with us yet? I couldn't remember, CRS, ya know. Anyway, just in case you haven't, please join in.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Newburg Pot Pie recipe Mare749 labradors, have you ...
Quote:

labradors, have you done a dinner party with us yet? I couldn't remember, CRS, ya know. Anyway, just in case you haven't, please join in.

Well, still kind of new to the site, so I'm not quite sure what you mean. Is this something like an online pot luck (or "pot providence" for us Presbyterians, LOL!)? Does one just offer any kind of idea, or is there a certain theme each time?

Re: Newburg Pot Pie recipe labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
The dinner party menu is usually chosen by the person/persons who have a birthday in the current month. The recipes chosen are usually from C@H issues, posted for everyone, and we all have 2 weeks to cook what's on the menu. Then, we all review the recipes used on the chosen day.

Sharon's birthday is in August, so she chose the menu, and reviews are due on Monday. Then, we will plan the next dinner party with the reviews being due in 2 weeks. Jean suggested that the Newburg Pot Pie be used for our next dinner party since so many of us thought that sounded good.

So, labradors, hope you will join in, and if you wish, I will put your birthday on the birthday list.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Newburg Pot Pie recipe Mare749 The dinner party men...
Sounds interesting, but I'll probably have to remain an observer for now.

My parents, in the States, are the ones with the subscription to C@H. I had discovered the magazine a few years ago, and had bought a couple of issues at Borders, but had not subscribed because I was in the process of moving to Honduras. When I did come down here, a lot of my stuff wound up in my parents' house for storage. One day, as they were moving around some of my cookbooks, etc., they discovered my issues of C@H, liked them, and eventually subscribed.

Down here, the postal system is such that it would be impossible to receive magazine subscriptions reliably, so I just hear about C@H when I call them and, if anything sounds particularly interesting (and doable with locally available materials), I'll have my parents send the recipe to me in an email.

Not too long ago, I was trying to figure out why the crust on some pizzas I had frozen was turning out so hard when it was reheated, and how to prevent that for future pizzas. My Mom noticed a mention in the C@H index for an article about pizzas that mentioned freezing. She did not have that issue, since it had been before they had started their subscription, but she noticed that the issue in which she was looking mentioned the website. Here, at the website, none of the archives had that particular article, but I found the forum, asked about it, and Billy told me what the article had said. It only turned about to be about freezing the dough, not the fully made pizzas, but Linda eventually helped me to find a solution that worked.

So, that has been my journey to this forum, but with where I live and what I do, it would be difficult for me to put together an entire menu according to the party, even over a span of two weeks (not to mention how much food that would be for a single guy to have to consume in two weeks). In addition, some of the ingredients are just not available here (e.g. frozen puff pastry), some are just way out of my budget (e.g. lobster or crab).

For now, I'll just have to be content with sitting on the sidelines, adding some occasional comments and just trying some occasional recipes, but thank your for the invitation.

Re: Newburg Pot Pie recipe labradors Sounds interesting, ...
"not to mention how much food that would be for a single guy to have to consume" - oooops, why have I been thinking of you as a female of the species.....I will immediately put in an attitude adjustment...

One thing to keep in mind with these 'dinner parties' - lots of us might just do one dish out of what's put up for testing and also, with just the two of us, I a lot of times cut things in half, so I don't have to worry about a lot of letftovers. So feel free to do whatever - these are not the least bit structured, except we like to try and keep them to the recipes from C@H magazines.

(unless you're like Sharon and go for dog bites just to keep from cleaning out the darn garage and getting ahold of her magazines.... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Newburg Pot Pie recipe