We finally got rid of our major heat wave, so my lucky hubby is finally getting his favorite pot roast. He is going to be one happy camper tonight. (And surprised!)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Belgian Pot Roast

Recipe By :unknown
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 lb. pot roast
1/2 cup water
1 onion, sliced
1 T. brown sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sage
1 cup beer

Simmer meat with water (covered) in a Dutch oven for about an hour. Remove the lid and allow the water to boil away, letting the meat brown in its own fat. Adjust heat so that the meat juices coat the pan, but do not burn. Once the meat is browned, remove from dutch oven and keep warm. Pour out excess fat.

Add the sliced onion to the pan and saute over gentle heat, scraping up the brown bits. Add sugar and continue cooking until the onions are a rich brown. Add the garlic and saute for a few seconds. Return the meat to the pan (of remove meat and onions to a crockpot) and add salt, pepper, sage and beer. (The Belgians would use a dark full bodied ale.) Simmer until meat is fork tender another 1 1/2 to 3 hours, depending on the cut.

Notes: This recipe takes 6 - 8 hours on low in a crockpot.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

What's for supper tonight? Mare749 We finally got rid o...
Sounds good, Maryann. I have to go grocery shopping after work. Had unexpected company that ate everything I had. So, it'll be whatever looks good and can be made quickly.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: What's for supper tonight? Lorraine Sounds good, Maryann...
Oh Linda----just rest, sounds as though you are trying to be too many people at the same time---you gotta recover, girl!!! Best thoughts coming your way---take care!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  What's for supper tonight? Mare749 We finally got rid o...
Thanks, Maryann, for posting a classic! My youngest has been going out with this girl who only knows how to "cook" frozen meals in the red box under the brand name beginning with "B"....I cringe at the thought! Don't think my boys ever ate anything like this (prepared-frozen)! Have been trying to make him the "real thang" at home and this is one he has been talking about. Saliabury (?sp) steak is another and Swedigh meatballs, all with mashed potatoes and thick, heavy, brown gravy. Eeeiiikkkeeess! My arteries are choking upon themselves. . . . Have to put this on first thing in the a.m. -- before he leaves, so the smells permeate his brain cells prior to is leaving for the day and will have him returning home for something not filled with artificial unpronouncable everthings!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda

Re: What's for supper tonight? MUSICMAKER Thanks, Maryann, for...
Linda! Where ya been???? We missed you!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: What's for supper tonight? Mare749 Linda! Where ya bee...
FLOODS! NO POWER! Those storms really hit us HARD! Up til last night we were still having severe storms, thunder, lightning, even tornados. Still not out of the woods. The power is still going on and off. Phone still doesn't work. On top of all that, I slipped and fell in the garage and hurt myself so bad I bruised my kidneys and ended up in the ICU for internal bleeding. I'm also on Coumadin so there was a real concern because they couldn't stop the bleed. Home now but in a lot of pain yet and my body looks like I met up with the wrong crowd in a dark alley! Bruises head to toe. Had a woman come up to me in the market asking if I needed to go to a shelter for domestic violence. She didn't believe me when I told her I just fell down. "Typical excuse" was her reply. So until the bruises go away, guess I better stay home for a while!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda

Re: What's for supper tonight? MUSICMAKER FLOODS! NO POWER! ...
Linda, I'm so sorry! What a terrible week for you and your family. Do you have extensive flood damage? And to wind up in the hospital on top of that! You poor thing! Sending you lots of hugs and best wishes for a quick recovery.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: What's for supper tonight? MUSICMAKER FLOODS! NO POWER! ...
I've been wondering if any of this family was getting caught in this God-awful weather. I'm sorry to hear what you've been going thru, Linda.

Dinner Tonight??? We're FINALLY having Lorraine's Tourtierre turnovers, grilled corn and zuccs.

I just took 40 meatballs out of the oven, and now Roy's whining 'cause he has to wait till tomorrow nite for Spaghetti and meatballs....life's rough all over!

Pot roast - it's almost time here for that also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: What's for supper tonight? cjs I've been wondering ...
Jean, does he actually wait? Ron hovers around the kitchen picking at everything that's out, if he's hungry.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: What's for supper tonight? Mare749 Jean, does he actual...
No, , I guess he doesn't, he's still whining, so it's spaghetti tonite...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
What's for supper tonight?