Hey Roxanne I just got an email from a friend of mine about glass butterflies found only in S. Africa. Have you seen these? They are beautiful!

[Image: GlassButterfly.jpg]

Roxanne - Glass Butterflies DFen911 Hey Roxanne I just g...
Wow! They look even more fragile than regular fragil butterflies.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Roxanne - Glass Butterflies cjs Wow! They look even ...
YES!!!! AND they are the most beautiful delicate specimens you could ever see---they are individually hand made and no two are alike----incredible----they are sold at the elitist/tourist market here and pretty pricey but GORGEOUS!!! Truly a collectors item-----

We do have a few interesting things---more and more arriving each day. There really is a great deal of artistic talent here---and much of it is being exported to the US!!!

Thanks Denise---global adverts are great!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
You would probably like the butterfly museum that's about seven blocks from me. It's not very big, but it doesn't have to be. In addition to many butterflies, moths, and insects from Honduras, it has quite a few from other countries, as well.

One that's interesting is a type of local moth that often has a wingspan of 11 inches. In additions to the pictures you'll find at the above link, here is a picture I took of one of those moths on the side of the house in which I used to live:
[Image: mothfb5.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Well, crap, they aren't real?????? (note to Jean - go for eye exam real soon.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Roxanne - Glass Butterflies cjs Well, crap, they are...
I thought they were real too! You had me fooledSmile
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Hey wait... I had to research this online. That butterfly looked toooo real.

It is called the Glasswing Butterfly and it IS real. I am sure people make hand crafted butterflies too but here is a link.

http://www.hemmy.net/2006/04/30/glasswing-butterfly/

I would post another picture, but I don't know how (yet).
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Roxanne - Glass Butterflies luvnit Hey wait... I had t...
So, it is real??? It's gorgeous!!! On tv last night, they showed the Monarch butterflies in Northern Ontario getting ready for migration down south. There were millions of them. And, strangely enough, we've seen an increase of them in the backyard. When my SIL was working in Coosta rica, she visited their butterfly museum. Quite incredible!!

Jean, book an eye exam for me also.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Roxanne - Glass Butterflies Lorraine So, it is real??? I...
Yes these are real

Re: Roxanne - Glass Butterflies DFen911 Yes these are real [...
I wasn't quite sure if you were pulling our legs, Denise, after all, you "live to laugh and laugh to live"!

Really neat, though!

PJ
PJ
Roxanne - Glass Butterflies