I talked with Jean the other day about making my own creme fraichê. I was in the store at the time and rather harried, so don't really remember all she said. I found the two following recipes and wonder what you all think.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creme Fraiche

Recipe By onna Townsen
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Eggs-Dairy-Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Mix together buttermilk and heavy cream. Let sit at room temperature for six to eight hours.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.

NOTES : This is very much like sour cream yet it is softer and has a little more tang. Use it to garnish anything from pies to soup. Try whipping it with a little bit of sugar for tangy whipped cream

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creme Fraiche II

Recipe By :Andrea9818
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Eggs-Dairy-Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon plain yogurt

In a clean jar with a lid, combine the cream and yogurt. Close the lid, and shake vigorously for 1 minute. Leave the jar out on the counter for about 1 day. It should thicken up. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.

NOTES : An easy recipe for creme fraiche that can be made at home if you cannot find it in stores. Use within one week.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Creme Fraichê bjcotton I talked with Jean t...
Billy, the creme fraiche I make has nothing more in it than heavy cream, left out, covered, for about 10 hours. Can add things after it is made but not during. That's about all the help I can offer you.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda

Re: Creme Fraichê MUSICMAKER Billy, the creme fra...
Billy---I use the first of your recipes----and I must say it is truly creme fraiche!! But plain old sour cream works just as well in most recipes.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Creme Fraichê bjcotton I talked with Jean t...
The first one will produce a product closer to creme fraiche that the later.

here is another one to consider:

This is one I posted years ago that will create it for you.

1 to 2 tablespoons cultured buttermilk
2 cups heavy cream (pasteurized, not ultra pasteurized or sterilized, and with no additives)

Combine the buttermilk and cream in a saucepan and heat only to tepid (not more than 85 degrees F). Pour into a clean glass jar. Partially cover and let stand at room temperature (between 65 and 75 degrees F) for 8 to 24 hours, or until thickened. Stir and refrigerate at least 24 hours before using. The cream will keep about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985

Re: Creme Fraichê bbally The first one will p...
Awright! Thanks guys, that brings back what Jean told me. I appreciate the refresher.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Creme Fraichê bjcotton Awright! Thanks guy...
Billy, I've used this method from June for years now - it's wonderful and be sure to read the notes of what I could and could not find....it's very forgiving!

CREME FRAICHE - HOW TO MAKE

2 cups whipping (heavy) cream preferably NOT ultra-pasteurized
1/4 cup buttermilk -- room temperature

1. Warm cream in heavy small saucepan to lukewarm (85 degrees F). Remove from heat and mix in buttermilk. Put the mixture into a clean glass jar (that has a tight-fitting lid), Leave the jar open and cover with a piece of waxed paper fastened with a rubber band. Let it stand in a warm draft-free area until slightly thickened, 24 to 48 hours, depending on temperature of room.

2. When the cream has "clotted," remove the paper and replace it with the lid. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Teacher's Tip Stored in this manner, the Crème Fraîche should keep until you've used it up (and made more!) Like fine cheese, it may develop a "skin", but you can remove it and use what's underneath.
---------------------

These are my notes from the first time I made it -
Well, murphy's law - my heavy cream WAS ultra-pastuerized and the only buttermilk on the shelves around here was/is reduced fat/1 1/2% milkfat/50%less fat than whole milk!!!

Decided to go with it and see what would result - oh my, it is delicious, creamy, beautiful creme fraiche. I left it 30 hours.

It also whips - so when you want that great tang on a strawberry shortcake, you can have it fluffy!

As well, it doesn't break if it gets boiled the way sour ceram does, so it's great for finishing sauces.
-----

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Creme Fraichê