I have a recipe that calls for egg yoke membrane removal. Does anyone know how this is done?

Help! New reciepe ??? for chefs kamisue I have a recipe that...
Whoa Newt! I've never heard of that. Hopefully one of the others has and can explain it to both of us.

Welcome to CAH Kamisue. Glad you could join us.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Help! New reciepe ??? for chefs bjcotton Whoa Newt! I've nev...
WELCOME kamisue---but WHY ON EARTH would you remove a membrane???? Just curious cuz I'm a wannabe cook!!!

"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Help! New reciepe ??? for chefs Roxanne 21 WELCOME kamisue---bu...
Well, I hope someone posts a method for using this - I can't think of any application at all.

(sounds more like a science project to me....)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
There is a very very thin membrane around the egg yolk. It is what keeps the yolk together when you seperate the eggs.

Take a fork and pierce the yolk at the same time slowly spin the fork and you will see the membrane come up off the yolk and around the fork.

Fairly easy once you know what to look for, the sack that holds the yolk in place.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985

Re: Help! New reciepe ??? for chefs bbally There is a very very...
I knew it--the newbie is a chef too!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Help! New reciepe ??? for chefs Old Bay I knew it--the newbi...
Not a chef, just a home chef who loves to cook.

Re: Help! New reciepe ??? for chefs kamisue Not a chef, just a h...
What recipe are you making, Kamisue? I can't imagine any reason for ditching the membrane.
  Re: Help! New reciepe ??? for chefs bbally There is a very very...
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
Alright, class. Did some research on this. Ready?

We all know that the yellow center portion of the egg is known as the yolk. Well, this liquid content of the yolk is enclosed by the "vitelline membrane"....let's all say that together, "vitelline membrane". . . which protects the yolk from breaking and becoming one with the "white" of the egg.

The bottom line is this....as the eggs age, and the air cell (pocket) increases in size, this membrane becomes thicker and tougher. It is recommended by many chefs that this "vittelline membrane" be removed because it can be the ruin of a labored dish. A readily example given in a number of places/sites is in your custards or other "delicacies". This is why some recipes for your custards, cremes and such will say to pass whatever (custard) through a sieve or fine mesh strainer.

Huuummmm....ya learn something every day!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Help! New reciepe ??? for chefs