This was a very good Bourguignon - altho, I wish I'd thought ahead far enough to double or triple the recipe. Would loved to have had leftovers (only had enough for Roy's breakfast)! I used a Tobin James Zinfandel (it's a wonderful, heavy zin) and it was very good in the mix and glass!

I had sirloin in the freezer, so didn't buy any chuck for it, but the sirloin worked quite well for the dish and it braised for a couple of hours. To finish it I used a little of the T.J. zin instead of the vinegar - as Jacques Pepin suggests to do.

Oh, I also took the garnish a little further and made a gremolata (lemon zest, garlic and parsley)

Overall, we gave this dish a strong 8.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Dinner Review for October 1st cjs This was a very good...
I doubled it (since there's 3 of us) and made it as printed. We really enjoyed it, it gave my regular recipe a run for it's money. I think the fresh herbs really made it, and I liked adding the vinegar at the end. I'd rate it an 8. Had the leftovers for lunch, and it was just as good if not better the next day.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st Lorraine I doubled it (since ...
We needed a really good BEEF dinner and cuz I said I would participate, HERE I AM!!!

This was an okay, IMHO. I would love to have had a bit more braising than the recipe called for. Even though I used some tenderloin---a nice tender cut and very tasty!!!--I would love to have had a bit more with the cooking technique. I (WE) prefer the recipe for Bourguignon from Issue 37, page 22 much more---nice slow cooking braise.

Now---my total debacle!!! Went to the wine cellar and noticed only one bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon (the only dry red there) and pulled to use!!! Peter almost had a heart attack (with everything else---GEESH!!! Of course, he did not notice what I did until after the fact!!! Anyway, I'm not a wine affucianado and said "self"---this is a Cabernet--YEAH!!! A $350.00 dollar bottle that he has been saving for that "SPECIAL" occasion!!!! Well, I guess that was our special occasion---!!! It made a really great sauce and the glass was appreciated by his nibs---I thought it was okay---again, not a great wine person, am I!! House Morgenhof from Stellenbosch---great house for superb wines!!! If one appreciates wines, that is!! Now we have to take a 45 minute trip out to the winelands to replenish our supply---Smile Now that will be FUN!!!

Loved the veggies in this---I had to manipulate the boiling/pickling onions a bit but overall they were great. The vinegar and lemon zest added a nice touch at the end--along with my fresh herbs from the garden!!!

I also served with a garlic mash instead of the noodles---great accompaniment!!

I will give this a 7+-8 as well---still like that other recipe better!!

Okay---NEXT?????? Where is COCO???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st Roxanne 21 We needed a really g...
OMG, Roxanne - it's a wonder he didn't have a heart attack!! And I'll bet it was good. I'm with you on the braising - why bother if it doesn't go for a while. That's the whole point of a braise.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh, Lord, missed another one. I did make the last one just forgot to review it. I think I was driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark, lose all sense of time that way.

A $350 bottle of wine? Did the Vinyard come with it?

Enjoying your reviews of this, even if I didn't get a chance to make it yet. In the words of the immortal Misfit Elf, there's always tomorrow

PJ
PJ
We followed the recipe and used a moderately priced Cab. There aren't any $350 bottles of wine in our "cellar"! I bet it was good, Roxanne!

I used ribeyes and doubled the recipe. The flavors were great, but I would use a cheaper cut of meat and braise it longer, or let the liquid braise add the steak at the end. The meat was not as tender as I would have liked. I parboiled the onions so they would be easier to peal. I wonder if they'd have been soft with the short braising time.

We liked the vinegar added on finish, I could take or leave the lemon zest. I agree with the other ratings in so far... this recipe is 7+ to 8.

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st HomeCulinarian We followed the reci...
Well darn, too bad we haven't had another 10+ that most of us gave that Chicken Roulade with the tomato concasse....that was so good!(abd U gaveb;t nade ut agaub)

Maybe next one....?

"(abd U gaveb;t nade ut agaub)" ...and for those of you who do not speak one-key-over-ese, the above translates to (and I haven't made it again)......
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st cjs Well darn, too bad w...
I got the translation!! LOL I made it often this summer for guests. I still make a double batch of the dressing every weekend to bring to work on slaads. I do cut down on the garlic, though.

" slaads "

Some days I just bring salads.

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st Lorraine I got the translatio...
Sorry guys, this week got away from me and I didn't do this one. Hubbie is on vacation and we started a major project, so we've been eating quick meals and going out. I'll try to make the next one.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st Mare749 Sorry guys, this wee...

This is the first time I have done a review dinner - it was fun

we enjoyed the dish - used chuch as suggested and braised it longer

was a good dish - we enjoyed it over the noodles one day and the next

over potatoes - agree it was a 7 or 8 on list

sorry late for the review was at a cooking class

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
Dinner Review for October 1st