Sorry it took me so long to get this posted - my scanners not working!!

Beef Tenderloin Filets
With Garlic Spinach & Balsamic Reduction
Issue #66, page 31
4 servings

Coat; Sear in 2 T. olive oil:
4 beef tenderloin filets, trimmed, 2” thick (6-8-oz. each)
1/4 cup peppercorn blend, coarsely crushed
Kosher Salt

Deglaze with; Swirl in:
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 T. unsalted butter, cold

Sauté in 1 T. olive oil; add:
1 T. garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 lb. fresh spinach, blanched, squeezed of excess water

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Coat both sides of filets with peppercorns and salt, then sear on 1 side in 2 T. oil in an ovenproof sauté pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Sear filets on their sides, then turn over, transfer pan to the oven, and roast 8-9 minutes for medium-rare.
Remove pan from the oven, transfer steaks to a plate, and tent with foil.
Return pan to stovetop over medium-high heat.

Deglaze pan with vinegar; simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup and the consistency of maple syrup, about 3 minutes. Swirl in butter; set aside.

Sauté garlic and pepper flakes in 1 T. oil in a second large sauté pan until fragrant, about 30 second.
Add spinach; toss to coat and warm thru.
Divide spinach among 4 serving plates, top each with a filet, and drizzle with sauce.

C@H notes: For the balsamic reduction, go with a reasonably priced grocery store brand. Take care not to over-reduce it, or it’ll taste too strong. If you go too far, just add a little water to thin it.
------
Roasted Potatoes
With Blue Cheese & Chives
Makes 6 cups

Toss together:
2 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold or red potatoes, cut into chunks
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Finish with:
1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 425 F.; coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray.

Toss potatoes, oil, salt & pepper together in a bowl, then spread on prepared baking sheet.
Roast 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, then transfer to a serving bowl.

Finish with cheese and chives.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review cjs Sorry it took me so ...
This will be my first time participating. The idea is to make the recipes sometime before the 12th and then everyone review it then? And not until then?

I immediately honed in on these recipes when I got the issue - I think two of my husband's favorite foods are filet and bleu cheese.

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review Trixxee This will be my firs...
Trixxee, that's exactly right. We make the meal whenever we want to and review on the designated day. Glad you are going to join in. It's a lot of fun to try a new dish and they are almost always really good.

Jean, I've been in and out a lot this week. Is there a dessert or any other sides on the menu?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review cjs Sorry it took me so ...
We're in.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review Old Bay We're in....
This is a definite for us as well (but then what isn't--- )

This will be a PERFECT dinner (hopefully) for Peter's birthday on the 9th-----

Thanks for posting Jean and welcome to the table Trixxee---this is always fun!!! IMHO
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review Roxanne 21 This is a definite f...
Laura didn't choose a dessert...and I'm choosing to do a 'bad' hors instead of dessert. Everyone's on their own, unless someone suggests something....(then I'll probably have to do it also )

So, we have a couple of Scorpios, eh Roxanne? And of course, MS Lorraine joins the fray in November also.(geez, just looked at the list - Lori, emmasmum, & of course Tammy)

Trixxee, Roy's favorite too - so looks like he's going to have all his favorites within a two week period. His choice for birthday dinner is duck, rissotto and bumbleberry cobbler...pig out time!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review cjs Laura didn't choose ...
If anyone wants to choose a dessert, I will probably have to Make it too... Even if it's the pumpkin cheesecake that I already made. I have to make two more of those anywaySmile Requested from others it was soooo good.

But remember... the cheesecake must be done at least a day ahead of the meal
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review