Imagine yourself in Flanders in February, thinking of the Allied Troops at the Battle of the Buldge, freezing, wet, waiting for Patton--I can almost hear the theme--if you could have taken them a bowl of this----can be doubled or tripled------- serves six
3& 1/2 lbs boneless roast from the chuck,cut into 1 inch pieces, salt & pepper
3 T vegi oil
2 lbs yellow onions, halved and sliced about 1/4 inch thick about 8 cups.
1 T tomato paste
2 med garlic cloves, minced
3 T all purpose flour
3/4 C low sodium chicken broth
3/4 C " " beef broth
1 & 1/2 C (12 oz) dark beer (pref. CHIMAY ale)
4 sprigs thyme , tied
2 bay leaves
1 T cider vinegar

1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position: heat to 300. Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels, season w/ salt and pepper. Heat 2 t oil in heavy bottomed Dutch oven over med high heat until beginning to smoke; add 1/3 of beef to pot and brown on all sides very well!! Remove and put in med bowl. Repeat with remaining beef . Do not burn fond!! Add 1/2 C,each, of both broths to deglace, scrape and pour liquid into bowl with browned beef.
2. Add remaining 1 T of oil to empty Dutch oven: reduce heat to med low and add onions, 1/2 t salt,and tomato paste; cook , scraping botton of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits until onions have released some moisture, about 5 min. Inc heat to med and continue to cook until onions are lightly browned, 12 to 14 min. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrent -30 sec-add flour and stir until onions are evenly coated and flour is lightly browned, abt 2 min. Stir in broths scraping bottom--stir in beer , thyme, bay, vinegar, browned beef with juices and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to med high and bring to full simmer, stirring occasionally; cover partially and place pot in oven. Cook until fork inserted in beef meets little resistance, abt 2 hours.
3. Discard thyme and bay--adjst seasonings and serve. ( I like it over buttered noodles). From Cooks Vol 71, with modifications.

Enjoy on a cold wet nite my friends----
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Carbonnade A La Flamande Old Bay Imagine yourself in ...
Sounds like some good old comfort food to me, Old Bay! Copied this one!

Thanks!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Imagine yourself in Flanders in February, thinking of the Allied Troops at the Battle of the Buldge, freezing, wet, waiting for Patton-

Well, it's -8C here, cold, damp. I think it will be a fitting supper for tomorrow night. Thanks, Bill!!!

If they had only had a hot meal like yours!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande Lorraine Imagine yourself in ...

Quote:

Imagine yourself in Flanders in February, thinking of the Allied Troops at the Battle of the Buldge, freezing, wet, waiting for Patton-

Well, it's -8C here, cold, damp. I think it will be a fitting supper for tomorrow night. Thanks, Bill!!!

If they had only had a hot meal like yours!!!

Yes, if only had. I have been driven over that area. And I have seen Pattons Grave/Memorial in Spain. It is beautiful. It is lined up so it is looking over a vast plaza, and beyond are his soldiers, thousands of crosses lined as neat as could possibly be. It is as if they are lined up on parade for him. A deeply moving place.

Thank you for the recipe. I like stout in beef too.

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande vannin [br][br][br][br][br]...
I plan to go there--thanks for the inspiration.

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande Old Bay I plan to go there--...
cold and crisp here, but sounding real good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
THAT grabbed my taste buds and said "Wake UP!". Thank you. I cut and pasted it into Tuesday's menu.

-Richard
Keep your lid closed, your coals hot, and your smoke wispy.

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande Richard THAT grabbed my tast...
Richard, I looked at your bio--you will love the dish by the way--how about me? After over 500 posts I still have no name-- not even stranger. Fortunatly I do not have a problem with inferiority, my wife tells me so--you will move up on the list, while I remain Dorian Gray. Enjoy the beef--I serve it to my lodge every January, under penalty of death!!! I quadruple the recipe--works quite well, and I'm not executed, but then Dorian cannot die--unless--?

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande Old Bay Richard, I looked at...
Geez Bill, I have that recipe in MasterCook with exactly the same changes....oh, wait, I copied yours
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande Old Bay Richard, I looked at...
Quote:

After over 500 posts I still have no name-- not even stranger.

Perhaps, with your having 500+ posts and the name "Old Bay," everyone already knew you are "well seasoned."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Carbonnade A La Flamande