Here's the thing...I live in the boon docks and some people around here don't appreciate any effort at something "too gourmet", but for the life of me, I just can't keep it too simple. Cocktail weinies in BBQ sauce and store bought meatballs in store bought spaghetti sauce would kill me. Soooo, here's my idea...

I have...
plum tomatoes
English cucumber
cream cheese
sour cream
mayo
fresh dill
fresh basil
REAL bacon bits (IMHO better than the fatty fresh bacon)
I thought I'd mix some of the cream cheese, mayo, and/or sour cream and add chopped basil and bacon bits to part and dill with another part. Spread on bread rounds and top dill ones with cuke and bacon ones with tomato. I would mix, slice, and cut ahead and assemble just before serving. I won't have much time to assemble, so this needs to be quick and easy. Bear in mind, I will have access to only a fridge and mike for this. I am also making crab dip and toast points ahead and warm the dip in the mike.

This is for a bunch of small town school teachers for our faculty xmas party. What do you think...any changes, suggestions? How far ahead could I assemble these? I hope to have a 1 hour break about 2 1/2 hours before serving...but I think I could pull off assembly in the 20 minutes between school closing and party if necessary.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Easy Appy? Will it work? Gourmet_Mom Here's the thing...I...
I thought I'd mix some of the cream cheese, mayo, and/or sour cream and add chopped basil and bacon bits to part and dill with another part.

this could be mixed before you go to school/or the night before. Maybe add the basil and dill at the last minute.

Spread on bread rounds and top dill ones with cuke and bacon ones with tomato. I would mix, slice, and cut ahead and assemble just before serving. I won't have much time to assemble, so this needs to be quick and easy.

Toast the bread rounds ahead of time also (night before even). Is ‘mike’ the microwave? If so, you could assemble and then mike them just to take the chill off – would not need much heat.

Bear in mind, I will have access to only a fridge and mike for this. I am also making crab dip and toast points ahead and warm the dip in the mike.

So if your toast points are done ahead – you are set to go. You can be heating the crab dip while you top the bread rounds.

This is for a bunch of small town school teachers for our faculty xmas party. What do you think...any changes, suggestions? How far ahead could I assemble these? I hope to have a 1 hour break about 2 1/2 hours before serving...but I think I could pull off assembly in the 20 minutes between school closing and party if necessary.

If you can get to the microwave first ( ) I don’t think you’d even need 20 minutes. Do you have a piping bag(s) with a large tip – you could fill and quickly pipe onto the bread rounds. It’s Christmas, could you maybe –

- top the basil/bacon with capers
- top the dill with minced cornichons?
Would just give a nice little crunch and flavor enhancer?

Whoooeee, I sure hope Marye sees how computer savey I have instantly become....and after three glasses of wine - can you tell Roy Rogers is out of town??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Easy Appy? Will it work? cjs [b]I thought I'd mi...
Thanks Jean. I was going to do the bread rounds fresh...kinda cucumber sandwich-ish unless you or anyone else thinks they would be better toasted. So that saves a step. As far as capers and cornichons...they would freak out...LOL! I'll be lucky if they eat this!

If Marye is not impressed...I am...nice quotes! So the cat's away HUH? ROFL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Easy Appy? Will it work? Gourmet_Mom Thanks Jean. I was ...
"So the cat's away HUH? ROFL! " - yup, and there's a lot of action on this forum after I normally am gone....hmmmm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Easy Appy? Will it work? cjs "So the cat's away H...
Yes Jean, nice work with BOLD and ITALICS!!

Your mention of the three glasses of wine making you more computer savvy made me think of this:

One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm. and here's how it went:
Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Let's just assume Cliffy's theory pertains to wine also!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Easy Appy? Will it work? luvnit Yes Jean, nice work ...
Love it!!! Good old Clif - I loved that show also!!
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Easy Appy? Will it work? cjs Love it!!! Good old ...
Classic Laura, a jolly good laugh. Rationalisation is so often hilarious.
Easy Appy? Will it work?