Well on March 1st is my mom and dad's 50th wedding anniversary. I am so excited!

We will host it at my sisters house. She has the perfect home for big parties. I will cook all the food at my house, which is only 2 blocks away.

Now for the menu, it will be buffet style for 50-60 guests.

I'm leaning towards a ceasar salad, penne/bowtie pasta dish and chicken parmesean. We'll just order a big cake.

Now I know there are some of you that have a lot of experience...Jean not yet just wait....with making food of this quanity. So any ideas or suggestions you have...Jean hang on put your hand down it's almost time...I would love to hear it

It will be a sit down affair. I'm also thinking of bruchetta for an appetizer. Anything easy

Ok Jean...now.

My next big project :) DFen911 Well on March 1st is...
Denise, one of the books in my MC program is called Food for Fifty. Maybe that could help you with quantities. Let me know if you want me to send you some recipes that might help you with guidelines.

Do you have Mastercook? If so, it's easy to scale your recipes up and down accordingly.

I got out my Kitchen Companion and found 6 pages on how much food to allow per person. Would this help? I could scan it into my computer, then send it in an email if you want. Let me know, I love to plan parties.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I gave my folks a 50th a year and a half ago, a hundred people. I did all the cooking, including the 3 tier anniversary cake.

I'm still recovering

Seriously, good organization is key. I'm sure you'll have it all under control! What a fabulouos gift for your parents!

PJ
PJ
Wow! I admire you. I would love to do that someday. I can comfortably d0 6-8 for something fancy... 20 for a planned family-style meal, but that's it for me.

I get overwhelmed with chafing dishes and timing and menu planning. I should hook myself up to help a caterer and see how it's done someday.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: My next big project :) luvnit Wow! I admire you. ...
I've never done a project of that size alone either. I'll be interested to see how you make your Caesar for that many. It would be cute to dress up the grands and have them pass the appys before dinner. (Or you could do what my mother did for a reception she did once...all my high school girlfriends were recruited.) Good Luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: My next big project :) Gourmet_Mom I've never done a pr...
Oh Denise, you do know how to get my juices going....

Caesar isn't a problem for a crowd and it's probably about the easiest crowd salad because of the few ingredients. I used to have the lettuce in one large bag, croutons, Parm in other bags and the dressing in cambros. Just make one large bowl at a time for the buffet. Denise, do you have access to Marie's Dressing down there (So. Calif) - for large parties like this, I didn't make my own dressing - I'd buy Marie's Caesar and mix it with a cheaper one (to thin out a tad) and add a can of anchovies to the mix. It worked.

Some suggestions (some I've posted the recipes before) -

Faux champagne
Honey-Peppered Goat Cheese with Fig Balsamic Drizzle
Tortilla wraps (these never seem to go out of style)
CLASSIC ARTICHOKE DIP
DANISH MEATBALLS W/DILL SAUCE (with homemade or purchased meatballs)
MARINATED MUSHROOMS & ARTICHOKES
PROVOLONE TERRINE
SMOKED SALMON TARTS
CAVIAR "PIE" (can't not mention this one!!)

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PENNE AL BURRO (a good veggie dish to have on hand)
ANTIPASTO TORTELLINI SALAD (biggest request for me)
MEDITERANEAN BEAN SALAD - GIL's
SWEET CORN COBLETS
ROASTED ASPARAGUS with BALSAMIC BROWNED BUTTER (a big platter of these goodies)

Cheese platter - with honeycomb, a chutney or two, seasonal fruit

Put your culinary school talents to work and make a fun watermelon bowl and fill with fruit -

and don't forget to place lemon pigs, crookneck squash geese, etc. around the buffet - folks just love those!!

I'll stop now.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: My next big project :) cjs Oh Denise, you do kn...
Jean! That all sounds splended!

If I ever have a crowd over (and I may when my daughter graduates) I'm coming to you for ideas.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: My next big project :) luvnit Jean! That all soun...
thanks Laura, I catered for quite a few years and I'm awfully good at collecting recipes...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: My next big project :) cjs Oh Denise, you do kn...
Quote:

Put your culinary school talents to work and make a fun watermelon bowl and fill with fruit -

and don't forget to place lemon pigs, crookneck squash geese, etc. around the buffet - folks just love those!!

No clue about these..that was the only thing not covered in our school. But with the joy of the internet I'm sure I can find them

You guys have given me some GREAT ideas thank you!!! Keep em coming. This gets me so jazzed about doing this.
That sounds wonderful. For my folks 50th a few years back, we had a banquet at a country club with a nice dinner, and even a DJ. We were about 25 people total, and the DJ thought it was a joke. Later he said he's never had so much fun at a party. We all danced and kids did the chicken dance and donned the hats for the YMCA song. Happy, happy memories!!!

Our tangible gift to the folks was that we hired a professional photographer for portraits. I highly recommend this!

Now we're gearing up for my dad's 80th birthday party in April. We're going to Maggiano's in the Chicago suburbs for the dinner. My project is to make a scrap book with "love" letters to Grandpa from each of his 13 grandkids and 2 great grandkids.

For your menu, you might want to make a baked mostaccioli as your pasta side. Pasta is difficult to do well in quantity without a commercial kitchen. The mostaccioli can be made ahead (with or without meat) and baked before service. It will go well with your chicken parmesan.

Oh, you're a brave soul! Do let us know how it goes...
My next big project :)