This is an annual challenge, but the first I've participated in. We have the odds stacked against us. Our team is two, the only employees in the kitchen. We're facing teams of 6 or more from the dining halls. While they're on break, we still produce for catering, so we still have jobs to deliver as well as this competion.

The menu

Pan smoked tomato bisque

sauteed filet of striped bass a la meuniere

Seared brest of duckling

Forcemeat stuffed leg

Plum and port reduction

Tourne potatoes

braised fresh greens (I chose spinach)

Chocolate custard au frambroise

My strong point is dessert. Anyone have a good chocolate custard recipe? (Of course, custards aren't my strong point) I'm thinking of doing a crepe with a chocolate custard sauce and raspberries.

Any ideas?

pj
PJ

UNH Culinary Challenge pjcooks This is an annual ch...
Go get 'em PJ!!! A "missing" friend of mine does the same job you do at my new "home"...Iowa State University...I will be pulling for you...I have a chocolate creme brulee with vanilla bean puff pastry like thingys that I can't remember how to spell that starts with a "b" around some where...let me look and I'll post it for you.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: UNH Culinary Challenge firechef Go get 'em PJ!!! A ...
Here is the Chocolate Creme Brulee part...I am still looking for the other part!

CHOCOLATE CREAM BRULEE

Ingredients needed:

* 1 tablespoon butter
* 3 cups heavy cream
* 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
* 8 egg yolks
* 1 cup raw sugar
* 1 cup Sweetened Whipped Cream
* 1 pint fresh raspberries

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Butter 10 (4-ounce) ramekins. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the cream and chocolate. Whisk until smooth. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth. Temper the egg yolks into the hot cream mixture. Remove from the heat and cool. Ladle into the individual ramekins. Place the ramekins in a baking dish. Fill the dish with water coming up half of the ramekin. Place in the oven and cook until the center is firm, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from the oven and water. Cool completely. Refrigerate until chilled. Sprinkle the sugar over the top, shaking off the excess. Using a hand-blow torch, caramelized the sugar on top.

Garnish with the whipped cream and raspberries.

Yield: 10 servings

Hope this helps some???
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: UNH Culinary Challenge...a recipe for PJ firechef Here is the Chocolat...
Here's the combo I was looking for...now this with raspberries incorporated somewhere would work nice I think.

Hope these are some help...???

Chocolate Creme Brulee with Vanilla Bean Beignets

Ingredients:

For the custard:

9 each egg yolks
1 oz. Sugar
3-3/4 cups Heavy cream
5-1/4 oz. Bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
pinch Salt

For the beignets:

1 oz. Fresh yeast
3 Tbls. Sugar
1/2 cup Warm water
1-1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Heavy cream
1 each Egg
3 cups All purpose flour
1/2 each Vanilla bean

Preparation:

For the custard:

Combine the sugar and egg yolks and whisk together. Bring the cream, salt and vanilla to a boil and pour over the chocolate in a mixing bowl. Stir until melted. Slowly temper the chocolate/cream mixture into the eggs, whisking well to combine. When all of the chocolate/cream has been incorporated, strain through a fine strainer. Pour the custard into custard cups and bake in a water bath in a 300 º F. oven until the custard becomes set. Chill well.

For the beignets:

Combine the yeast with the sugar and warm water in a the mixing bowl and allow to activate. When the yeast has become active, split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the bowl. Add the salt, cream, egg and flour and mix using a paddle for two minutes. Cover with saran wrap and proof until doubled in volume. When ready to fry, heat a pot of vegetable oil to 325 F. And scoop the batter in using a 1 tsp. Scoop or measuring spoon. Fry until golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove to an absorbent towel and drain well. Toss in granulated sugar.

To serve:

Sprinkle a fine layer of granulated sugar over the top of each custard and caramelized using a torch. Garnish with two beignets and serve.

L.J. Ames
Executive Chef, Fort Dodge (IA) Country Club

Not too sure where you'd fit in the raspberries but maybe as a garnish with a sprig of fresh mint on the brulee???

Let me know if any of these help or if you need other ideas or help...when is the challenge???

Re: UNH Culinary Challenge...a recipe for PJ firechef Here's the combo I w...
One last thought...just to show I am not a one trick pony as they say...here is one from our friends at Godiva Chocolate....

Godiva Bittersweet Chocolate Custard Tart

Yield: one 9 1/2 inch tart, serves 8
Preparation: 1 hour 30 minutes, plus baking and cooling times
Special Equipment: 9 1/2 inch tart pan with removable bottom

Topping:
1 cup heavy cream
3 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Ivory Chocolate

Pecan Crumb Crust:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (24 squares (2 1/2 inches each) graham crackers)
1/2 cup pecan halves
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Bittersweet Chocolate Custard:
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
5 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup Tawny Port wine
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Make topping:

Bring heavy cream to a boil in a small, heavy saucepan. Turn off heat; add white chocolate to cream. Whisk gently until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.

Make pecan crumb crust:

Position a rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Place graham cracker crumbs, pecan halves, sugar and melted butter in food processor; pulse until mixture is finely chopped, and begins to hold together resembling course crumbs. Pour mixture into a 9 1/2 inch round tart pan with removable bottom. Press mixture onto bottom and up sides of tart pan. Bake for 10 minutes until crust is barely golden.

Make bittersweet chocolate custard:

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, yolks, and sugar. Bring heavy cream to a boil in a
medium, heavy saucepan. Slowly pour hot cream into eggs, whisking constantly. Return cream mixture to saucepan.

2. Over low heat, stir mixture constantly with a wooden spoon until the sauce thinly coats the spoon, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off heat, and add chocolate to saucepan. Whisk gently until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in port and butter.

3. Place prepared tart shell on a baking pan. Pour custard into tart shell and bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, until custard is set at edges. Center of custard will still be soft. Cool tart on a wire rack until warm to the touch. Refrigerate until cold; at least 2 hours.

4. Just before serving, beat chilled topping mixture at high speed until medium-firm peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes (do not over beat). Slice tart into eight servings, topping each with a dollop of whipped cream.

There are a couple of ideas to throw around for a chocolate dessert involving "custard" that you could incorporate raspberries in.

Re: UNH Culinary Challenge...a recipe for PJ firechef One last thought...j...
Thanks so much, LJ! I've copied all of them. I'm practicing today or tomorrow, tried and true really help.

Another coincidence, you have a friend that does my job at Iowa State University

PJ
PJ

Re: UNH Culinary Challenge...a recipe for PJ pjcooks Thanks so much, LJ! ...
Another coincidence:

I'd like to eat all three of these, in no particular order.
Chocolate Creme Brulee with Vanilla Bean Beignets
CHOCOLATE CREAM BRULEE
a crepe with a chocolate custard sauce and raspberries.

edit - btw, I'm not making fun. I believe in everything.

As nervous as I was with our Challenge, I can't imagine actually competing against others. You rock.
Cory

I am not the model.

Re: UNH Culinary Challenge...a recipe for PJ Corinne Another coincidence:...
PJ, how fun and exciting for you - since desserts are your strong point, how about chocolate 'custard' three ways - maybe one with an essence of Jalapeno served with a miniature red pepper, maybe a brulee, and the third one?

Or incorporate 'something' three ways on your menu - it shows your versatility and not too many use this 'show off' technique

Forcemeat stuffed leg - Plum and port reduction - do these two go together?

If not, could you do a duck breast three ways - one the plum & port reduction, the two others, who knows...

The two of you will knock their socks off!! Good luck - when is it? Easter Break?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: UNH Culinary Challenge...a recipe for PJ cjs PJ, how fun and exci...
Thanks, everyone, this will indeed be a challenge! It's taking place this Tuesday, we were informed last Tuesday, so we'll have to scramble. Thanks, Jean, for your suggestions, we're searing the breast, boning and stuffing the leg with forcemeat, maybe we can come up with a third duck thing.

I haven't tourneed a potato in 11 years. I've decided to do spinach with mushrooms, red pepper and shallots for my wilted greens. Much quicker than kale, my other option.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

PJ
PJ
  UNH Culinary Challenge pjcooks This is an annual ch...
Oh PJ! That sounds like a ton of fun and very exciting! I love the recipes that Firechef posted. Great ideas.

You will have to let us all know how you and your partner do. Every little detail!

Good luck!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
UNH Culinary Challenge