Looking for a book that has all the shapes to make the Danish Dough into. Thanks for your help!!!!

Anyone make Danish Pastry?? Barbarainnc Looking for a book t...
I don't know of any books...the Mrs. makes me do tons of stuff online so I don't get the books like I used to.

I had a website that had video and step-by-step directions of all sorts of pastries and the recipes as well. I will look for it and post the name Wednesday evening...even if you get a book this site may be of help as well as it has pretty much every pastry I have heard of and several I had never heard of!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: Anyone make Danish Pastry?? firechef I don't know of any ...
I'll go thru my books. We did this in school and had to make 6 different forms.

**heads to her kitchen**

Ok I'm back and couldn't find a thing. Yet I remember looking at forms and diagrams when in class. I wrote to my pastry instructor to see if he has anything he can email me. I hope to hear from him and soon and will share whatever he can provide

Re: Anyone make Danish Pastry?? DFen911 I'll go thru my book...
I didn't ask this question, which makes me nontheless interested in your answer(s). What a great society of people you are. Both the questees,and the questors.
I have made Danish Dough many times. I probably used a book or something when I first started but that was many years ago and I don't remember what it was. (I know it wasn't the internet because there was no internet then.) Unless you specifically need a book, I can try to explain how to make the different shapes but I will need time to type it up so you can understand what I'm trying to say. Let me know if you want me to explain the procedure.
Shirley

Re: Anyone make Danish Pastry?? smschwag I have made Danish D...
Seeing as how I just really dislike baking/pastries, I hadn't even looked at that section of my Gisslen book on baking (from school). My word, I don't know if you want to put out the money for just one section, but he sure has a wonderful section on the dough, fillings ( 19 recipe!) and pages on forming.

Looking thru the pages, he even has directions for a Danish pretzel... yum!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I just gave all the information and a couple recipes and my isp went out and I lost all of it. Let's try this again. I gave up on trying to describe the shaping procedure and checked through my cookbooks. I found 3 that would probably help you. Two of them, "Baking with Julia" and "How to Bake" by Nick Malgieri, gave recipes for the dough and the fillings with diagrams and pictures for shaping the pastry. The third, "Joy of Cooking" had a lot of filling recipes but at first glance I didn't see any diagrams. Here are my recipe for Danish Pastry Dough and one of the variations, "Bear Claws"....

DANISH PASTRY
4 cups all purpose flour – sifted
1 tsp salt
2 tbsps sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup warm water -- 85 degrees
1 pkg yeast
1½ cups butter

Mix together flour, salt, sugar. Using a pastry cutter, cut in 1/2 cup butter. Continue blending with pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and mix only enough to form a dough that holds together. Knead dough on lightly floured board until smooth. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 min. until chilled.

Meanwhile beat the 1½ cups butter until creamy.

Roll the chilled dough into a rectangle about 3/8" thick. Dot 1/4 of the whipped butter over 2/3 of rectangle. Fold the unbuttered 1/3 over the buttered middle third; then fold over the other buttered 1/3, making 3 layers. Turn the dough 1/4 turn and roll out to 3/8" thick rectangle. Dot with second 1/4 of the whipped butter and fold as before. Repeat this process twice more each time using 1/4 of butter. Wrap the dough loosely in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Roll chilled dough on lightly floured board to 3/8" thickness. Cut and shape as desired for rolls or coffeecakes.

BEAR CLAWS
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 egg -- beaten
4 ounces almond paste
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Cinnamon-sugar mixture
Sugar
Chopped almonds

Prepare butter cream filling as follows: Cream together 1/4 cup margarine with 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Set aside.
Prepare Almond filling as follows: Beat egg with a fork Measure 1/2 of beatedn egg and mix with almond paste and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until well blended. Set aside.

Divide danish dough into thirds. Refrigerate 2 of the thirds.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it all turned out.

To prepare each third: Roll dough on lightly floured board into a 24" strip. Cut strip in half. Using half of strip, spread center 1/3 with layer of butter-cream filling; top with thinner lare of almond filling. Fold up one side; brush edge with water; fold up other side; pinch to seal; brush away flour from board and sprinkle with sugar and chopped almonds. Brush top of folded dough with water and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Turn over onto sugar-almond mixture; roll lightly with rolling pin. Brush top with water; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and turn this onto sugar-almond mixture. Roll lightly with roling pin. Cut this strip into 6 rolls; cut each roll partially through at 3 intervals, making 4 "fingers"; squeeze bottom section lightly to separate the "fingers". Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.

Repeat process with second half of dough. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Remove to cooling rack and drizzle lightly with thin icing.

Repeat whole process with remaining dough.
Shirley
Anyone make Danish Pastry??