In the new LCBO magazine (Liquor Control Board of Ontario), there is a wonderful section of pizzas. I learned something new and absolutely wonderful about pizza making reading it - and doing it yesterday.

This is a quote from the mag -
"Cubed soft cheese on pizza is far superior to grated mixtures as cubes produce pillows of melted cheese of varying flavours so each bite is just a little different. Hard cheese such as Parm, Romano and Asiago are best if freshly grated into long thin strips."

The magazine referred to this mixture as " 'Za Cheese"

So, I now have in my freezer large plastic bags of mixed cubed cheeses -
1 lb. Mozz
1 lb. provolone
1 lb. sharp cheddar

and one of 'grated long thin strips' of -
12 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano
12 oz. Asiago

I used this combination on a pizza last night and it's a wonerful way to add the cheese. I've been grating/shredding the cheeses all my pizza making days - but, no more!

Also, in the article was a pesto sauce to be used on "Big-Red Pizza" - which was the pesto, shrimp, sliced red onions, 'Za cheese, and basil. I made this pizza and it was good, but just too much going on for us. I'll just make it with basil, red onion, the cheeses and the pesto next time. Or maybe a couple slices of tomato.

Anyway here is the Pesto Sauce -
1 large or 2 small (I used 2 large) red bell peppers
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
salt & freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup freshly grated 'Za hard-cheese blend
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley (Used basil)

Roast red pepper; clean and seed. Whirl red pepper with garlic in food processor until pureed.
Add olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper.
whirl till mixed; add in cheese and basil till just mixed.
Sauce can be made ahead; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. (I made a full batch and I'll freeze what's left. For us, I only used about 1/4 of the batch)

The flavor of this pesto is just wonderful. and yes, I took picutures...

[Image: pizzaone.jpg]

[Image: pizzaslice.jpg]

And I have to admit, cubing the cheese (barely 1/2" cubes) really does make a difference in the flavors - those wonderful little "pillows" of cheese, yum!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Teaching Old Dogs.... cjs In the new LCBO maga...
Jean, I can't wait to sit down and read that article! Another delightful surprise to come home to was to find my new copy of LCBO in my mail. Thank you Lorraine!

This is great information. Thanks for posting this Jean. I've just added cheeses to my shopping list.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Teaching Old Dogs.... Mare749 Jean, I can't wait t...
"I've just added cheeses to my shopping list."

Oh, that's going to help getting back to "home" weight, Maryann!! (but oh so worth it!!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Teaching Old Dogs.... cjs "I've just added che...
That's true, Jean. I've always said that I'm the world's worst dieter! Guess I'll just go buy my leeks.......
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Well thanks for the tip Jean! I will take that and put into my bag of tricks!

Can't wait to try it. Makes sense don't it?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Teaching Old Dogs.... luvnit Well thanks for the ...
I keep scrolling up and down drooling. I'm trying to convince myself that without meat it wouldn't be all THAT bad in calories. YEA, RIGHT and the moon is made outta cheese!

Thanks for the tip Jean. Maybe one night all the kids are here I'll try it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I know what I want to eat - NOW! That looks so good, and ya know it just makes perfect sense.

Now - question, how does one get this wonderful magazine???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Teaching Old Dogs.... Harborwitch I know what I want t...
Maybe you can subscribe online, Sharon -

http://lcbo.com/main/en.shtml

It's a great magazine.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Teaching Old Dogs.... cjs Maybe you can subscr...
Sounds great, especially that sauce.

My favourite combination is a crazy bunch of things I decided to throw together, that I call my "gourmet garbage pizza:"

In order: the crust, sun-dried-tomato pesto, whole-milk Mozzarella, caramelised onions, sautéed mushrooms (regular, portobello, and shiitake), roasted red bell peppers, diced cooked ham, freshly grated smoked Gouda, crumbled goat cheese.

Needless to say, it's not the least-expensive pizza to make - nor the least time consuming - but it IS good!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Jean do you by chance deliver???

Looks great and the cube idea is right on the money.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Teaching Old Dogs....