I remember years ago hearing about this restaurant trick. Hopefully someone can fill me in and tell me how its done.

To my recollection it was this:

When cooking shrimp to be used for shrimp cocktail, cook them in water and pickling spices. Then I assume you quickly cool them in ice to stop the cooking process.

Has anyone ever done this? How much pickling spices to you use? Do you simmer, boil or poach the shrimp? Or am I way off base?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Shrimp and Pickling Spices luvnit I remember years ago...
I had a friend that was a personal chef for a client on BHI who liked this. I tasted it one time and did not like it, so never asked for the recipe. If I remember correctly, she made a small amount of marinade using the spice...similar to what you would do for pickles and added it to large steamed shrimp...tail on. Chilled for about an hour and eat. Not much help, but my two cents.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Shrimp and Pickling Spices Gourmet_Mom I had a friend that ...
There is a recipe in my Best Recipe book for potted shrimp and there is a very nice recipe for cooked shrimp to serve cold as a cocktail that I tried and thought was good. I'll look it up and post what it says later...
  Re: Shrimp and Pickling Spices Gourmet_Mom I had a friend that ...
Thanks for the input and it means a lot. It great to have a recipe... even better to have an opinion. That's why I come here first.
Laura

Re: Shrimp and Pickling Spices luvnit Thanks for the input...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Shrimp Cocktail

Serving Size : 8
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seafood seasoning
1 pound shrimp -- extra large, peeled and deveined

Bring the lemon juice, bay leaves, salt, peppercorns, Old Bay, and 4 cups
water to a boil in a medium saucepan for 2 minutes. Remove the pot from
the heat and add the shrimp. Cover and steep off heat until the shrimp are
firm and pink, about 7 minutes. Drain the shrimp and plunge them
immediately into ice water. Discard the bay leaves and peppercorns.

To Store: Drain the shrimp and transfer them to a medium bowl. Wrap the
bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days.

To Serve: Arrange the shrimp on a cold platter with a sauce for dipping.

Source:
"The Best Make Ahead Recipe"
Copyright:
"Cook's Illustrated"

This is a very good recipe and you are not at risk of overcooking the shrimp.

The Potted Shrimp is a spread with lots of butter. I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Re: Shrimp and Pickling Spices HomeCulinarian [...
Perfect! Now I can give it a try. I knew I would find this here. Potted shrimp... I had heard of that before. Never knew what it was. Thanks!
Laura

Re: Shrimp and Pickling Spices luvnit Perfect! Now I can ...
My recipe is almost identical to HC's, the only difference is that I steam, in beer sometimes. Mike really likes those, but he doesn't know why

PJ

PJ

Re: Shrimp and Pickling Spices pjcooks My recipe is almost ...
Sorry, I thought you were looking for a pickled shrimp. I make mine much like the above very often since I live in an area where shrimp are the easy to come by. Often during prime shrimp season...there are two lasting a couple months each. I can get ungraded shrimp for about 2 dollars a pound...head on, right off the boat.

Anyway, in case you are interested, there is a pickled shrimp popular in the area...especially the low country of Charleston, SC. This is where my friend is from. This is one that "looks" very much like what she would make...except she would marinate it in zip lock bags and serve within 24 hours of making it.

This is from the following website: http://www.chefrick.com/html/pickled_shrimp.html

Pickled Shrimp
Long a staple on the Charleston cocktail party scene, this appetizer is easy to make and very tasty.

To sterilize the jar, place it, along with the lid, in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes. Remove with tongs, and allow to cool without touching the inside of the jar or lid.

1/4 Cup crab boil seasoning
2 1/2 pounds medium (45-60 per pound) shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 Cup White wine vinegar
6 teaspoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seed
2 teaspoons salt
1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
24 Bay leaves

Place crab boil seasoning in cheese clothIn and tie securely and place inn a large stock pot with 6 cups water. Bring to a vigorous boil; simmer for 5 minutes then add shrimp.

Boil shrimp for 3 minutes and drain.

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, celery seeds, mustard seed, salt, and pepper. Add oil, whisking continuously until well-blended; set aside.

In a clean, sterilized one-quart canning jar, place a layer of about 15 shrimp and top with some of the onion and 4 Bay leaves. Repeat layers of shrimp and layers of onions and Bay leaves until all of the shrimp are used up. Top with the last of the onion and Bay leaves.

Pour the dressing over the contents of the jar, pushing everything down so that the oil and vinegar mixture covers everything. Seal the jar and let marinatein the refrigerator for at least for 24 hours.

When you remove shrimp, use a clean fork and make sure unused shrimp are covered by remaining oil and vinegar mixture. Will keep , refrigerated, for about 2 weeks.

Serve shrimp skewered on toothpicks or with crackers or fried grits cakes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Shrimp and Pickling Spices Gourmet_Mom Sorry, I thought you...
That's similar to what I do, I juice 1/2 lemon and then throw in the the whole half (how's that for an oxymoron!) into the water. I also add a smashed garlic, a bay leaf and about 15-20 peppercorns. The most important thing is to plunge them into an ice bath to stop the cooking.

Sally

Re: Shrimp and Pickling Spices lxxf That's similar to wh...
I've heard of pickled shrimp but have never done it myself - sounds like something to play with. Thanks Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Shrimp and Pickling Spices