Was just flipping through a different magazine and it mentioned making your own Creme Fraiche. The recipe was...heat one cup of whipping cream to lukewarm (85 degrees) Remove from heat; mix in two tablespoons buttermilk. Cover and let stand in warm, draft-free area until slightly thickened (24 to 48 hours depending on temperature of room) and chill.

Sound right to anyone...??? Can't even get the stuff from my restaurant suppliers in my neck of the woods so if this works...awesome!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Creme Fraiche... firechef Was just flipping th...
I usually edit this method for making creme fraiche that I got from June Jacobs a few years ago, but I'll post the entire thing for you to look thru. I've been making hers for a long time and it's just wonderful.

CREME FRAICHE - HOW TO MAKE
June Jacobs

2 cups whipping (heavy) cream preferably NOT ultra-pasteurized
1/4 cup buttermilk -- room temperature

1. Warm cream in heavy small saucepan to lukewarm (85 degrees F). Remove from heat and mix in buttermilk. Put the mixture into a clean glass jar (that has a tight-fitting lid), Leave the jar open and cover with a piece of waxed paper fastened with a rubber band. Let it stand in a warm draft-free area until slightly thickened, 24 to 48 hours, depending on temperature of room.

2. When the cream has "clotted," remove the paper and replace it with the lid. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Teacher's Tip Stored in this manner, the Crème Fraîche should keep until you've used it up (and made more!) Like fine cheese, it may develop a "skin", but you can remove it and use what's underneath.
---------------------
Jean's notes:
Well, murphy's law - my heavy cream WAS ultra-pastuerized and the only buttermilk on the shelves around here was/is reduced fat/1 1/2% milkfat/50%less fat than whole milk!!!

Decided to go with it and see what would result - oh my, it is delicious, creamy, beautiful creme fraiche. I left it 30 hours.

Now, I have to decide what to use it for - any suggestions? If nothing else, I could use it in my mashed tatoes Thanksgiving day.

June, how long will this keep? Any idea?

June - Wow, that is GREAT news! and besides, it WHIPS!!! so when you want that great tang on a strawberry shortcake, you can have it fluffy!

As well, it doesn't break if it gets boiled the way sour ceram does, so it's great for finishing sauces.
-----

I know these are just kind of mish mash notes, but you get the pix.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Creme Fraiche... cjs I usually edit this ...
I got the recipe from Jean and have made it several times. It's great!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Creme Fraiche... cjs I usually edit this ...
Quote:

2 cups whipping (heavy) cream preferably NOT ultra-pasteurized

I saw your notes, Jean, and that is good to know but this made me wonder if anybody can find whipping cream that is not "ultra-pasteurized". If so where? I have checked in just about every store that I've been in that carries whipping cream and everything is ultra-pasteurized. Still a lot of people and a lot of recipes recommend that it not be. Oh dear, what's a girl to do?

Thanks for the recipe and the notes, Jean!
Shirley

Re: Creme Fraiche... smschwag [blockquote]Quote:[h...
One of our local grocery store dairy brands - Wilcox - has a product that I prefer - it is Old Fashioned Heavy Whipping Cream. It states that it is pasturized, but does not state it is ultra pasturized. The Darigold regular whipping cream says Ultra pastuized.

I just happen to have both in my refrigerator.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Creme Fraiche... esgunn One of our local gro...
Thanks Erin - I have not seen that brand, Wilcox, since we've been up here. If you have it, I shouln't have any trouble finding it also. I was so pleased that the "unauthorized" items worked so well.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Creme Fraiche... cjs Thanks Erin - I have...
I just do 1 cup of whipping cream with 2 tsps buttermilk--whip it up with a whisk and let sit for 24 hours----perfect every time!!!!

But, then again, creme fraiche is readily available here---I think a good sub (without the work) is sour cream---the sour cream here is very close to creme fraiche!!! This is one of my favorite ingredients or as a topping---YUMMMM!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Creme Fraiche...