I was thinking of making something like Swiss Steak today. Never having made it, I hit the books. First was Time Life Good Cook series. The recipe sounded good, but I was skeptical of the method. So, I found another recipe in The Marlboro cookbook. Both said basically the same thing:

Sprinkle flour over meat and pound with the dull side of a heavy knife. Continue adding flour and pounding until both sides of the meat will absorb no more.

They also said browning of meat would take about 30 minutes.

Does anyone pound the flour into the meat? I'd never heard of it. It kind of makes sense, as you would be tenderizing the meat at the same time. The 30 minutes to brown the meat seems long to me, but, we'll see what happens!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Flouring / Browning Beef Lorraine I was thinking of ma...
I don't have a clue, but will sure be interested in what you think about this after you make it. It does make sense in a way, because you wouldn't want a bunch of "loose" flour falling off the meat and messing up your skillet while you are browning. In order to brown something for 30 minutes, you must have to do it on low heat. Please let us know.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Flouring / Browning Beef Mare749 I don't have a clue,...
I made chicken fried steak last night. I mixed flour/salt/pepper and kept sprinkling it on one side of the meat until nothing wet showed through the flour. I did press it in. Then I turned it over and did the same thing.

I heated up about 1/4" of oil in the pan (on medium), put the steak in and cooked it until the crust was a nice brown and flipped it.
Cory

I am not the model.

Re: Flouring / Browning Beef Corinne I made chicken fried...
Last night I made the Swiss Steak in the latest C@H (issue #68). We really enjoyed it. Being pressed for time, as always, I used cube steak instead of tenderizing my own. There was an article on tenderizing the meat, and it doesn't mention using flour while pounding it out. The recipe says to just dredge the steak in flour, and brown only two minutes a side. It said to use high heat, but things started burning instead of browning, so I turned it down a bit. I liked the relish recipe they had also. There was a ton of sauce left over, but my kids wouldn't touch it (they only like hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza) and my husband hardly used any, so it's more us than the recipe.

Good luck with your version, and let us know how it turns out!

Re: Flouring / Browning Beef Watergirl Last night I made th...
Lorraine, that was the way we used to do Swiss steak - I used the edge of a saucer tho. It's amazing how the meat just sucks up the flour. What cut of meat did it call for? We always used really cheap, tough cuts that were so tasty after all the cooking. Yeah, I can believe the 30 minutes.

And then we'd put it in the oven with some stock and let it cook longer and the results - wonderful goopy, coated swiss steak witht he best gravy. Onion and garlic are called for also, I hope.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Flouring / Browning Beef cjs Lorraine, that was t...
That actually sounds pretty good and I am always a fan of cheap...I may have to try this as soon as that Lorraine stops ignoring me (hehehe) and realizes that age is a good thing...look at some wines, cheeses, and hams and the sort.

I think now is a good time to stop digging...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Flouring / Browning Beef Watergirl Last night I made th...
I've always done what I call country fried steak and gravy. I get tenderized meat from the market, pound it a little more--salt and pepper both sides--dredge in flour--leave a lot of flour on it-pan fry in vegie oil until done. Then I make a water gravy with what is left in the pan (the browned flour pieces are great) and serve it with long grain rice--okra and tomatoes or green beans match up well--great old fashioned country "supper".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Flouring / Browning Beef Old Bay I've always done wha...
" country fried steak and gravy. "
I've still never had that! He keeps putting it on the menu when I'm not there, and usually for breakfast!

Ok. I love what pounding in the flour did. I think it did a few things. It gave the meat a uniform thickness. It also ensured that the flour got in everywhere. And, I'm thinking it tenderized it. I learned a valuable lesson. When they said "brown slowly" it does not mean start the browning process in fat that is not hot. Second side did waaay better. It took me about 25 minutes, and when I was finished, it was great!!! No flour in the pan, a great dark brown colour all over, I was very happy with it!

Jean, I ended up amalgamating a few recipes, but mostly my Mom's Pot Roast ( it's in The Book, you can still get one! ) Garlic and onions for sure. So, if it tastes good , I'll post what I added.

Amazing what I still learn at my age.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Flouring / Browning Beef Lorraine " country fried stea...
Me too, Lorraine!! and it's a good thing
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Flouring / Browning Beef cjs Me too, Lorraine!! a...
My next-door-neighbor in San Diego showed me how to do that. She also used the edge of a saucer to mix in the flour. I used the fine-tooth side of a meat hammer and "pounded" lightly. Worked fine. I then browned the meat and put it in a slow cooker over a layer of raw onion rings. It made it's own gravy.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Flouring / Browning Beef