Ok, Jean, or anybody else out there who knows beer....

(Before ya'll jump on this, let me add this disclaimer...I am not implying Jean does or does not know beer, it's just her recipe...LOL!)

The only thing I could find different from regular beer...Bud, Milwalkee, etc. was a Samuel Adams Boston Lagar. My question is...will this work for my corned beef, or do I need to go with another recipe that doesn't call for beer. Would additional molasses help?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Guinness? Gourmet_Mom Ok, Jean, or anybody...
Guinness, in my opinion, would be too dark. It's a very robust beer.

Go with a Samuel Adams an amber ale (not light amber). I've cooked a lot with O'duls too.

Killians Irish Red would be a nice beer to use with the corned beef.

Same rule applies to beer as with wine, if you wouldn't drink it don't cook it with it

Re: Guinness? DFen911 Guinness, in my opin...
It's just the recipe I got from Jean specifically calls for Guiness Draught, but I figured others would work, but with a slightly different flavor. I'm still thinking a little more molasses in place of part of the beer may be called for.

For now, let me go pop a top and have one...I'll get back witchya!
Daphne

Re: Guinness? Gourmet_Mom It's just the recipe...
The Samuel Adams would work great as would their Cream Stout...I did an "Irish Beef Stew" a couple of years back for a catering at a doctor's office and used three bottles of Samuel Adams Cream Stout in place of Guinness.

It smelt like a brewery but it had GREAT flavour after simmering for almost two days. The meat was soooo tender and the head of the department loved it...it was a shame that Saint Patrick's Day fell on a Friday that year because many of the employees in the office had to "settle" for the tuna noodle dish we did as a "Lent alternative."

Must say that the regular Samuel Adams would work okay. If you have a Sam's Club near by pick up the 24 pack Samuel Adams Brew Master's Collection with 4 bottles of 6 different "flavours" of Samuel Adams. Great for drinking and cooking. The Samuel Adams website has some great recipes including every course. The Guinness website has several good recipes as well.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: Guinness? firechef The Samuel Adams wou...
Thanks you guys. I think I'm going to go with it. I'll taste the "brew" after it's all mixed together and adjust to personal taste. There is NO way I can get anything any closer. Next time I'm in Wilmington, I'll have to pick up a pack (or two) of darker beer to keep on hand for cooking if we like this. They do have a Sam's and I'm a member, so I'll check that out, LJ! Then I'll hit you up for that stew recipe!
Daphne

Re: Guinness? Gourmet_Mom Thanks you guys. I ...
I love Samuel Adams, Guinness and the like. I do not care for Bud, Miller or any of the likes of those. I have always liked bold dark beers. Nice and thick and good cold or warm. Still at odds with Guinness now advertising to serve "extra cold" in the states.

I can handle some of the Samuel Adams "flavours" at room temperature as well. Nothing against Bud but I can imagine them taking a 5-gallon bucket and sticking it under their horses it tastes so nasty to me after drinking the stuff I like.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: Guinness? firechef I love Samuel Adams,...
It's funny you mention that. I drank beer in college, but never really had a preferred taste for it. Now mind you an ice cold beer on the boat or deck in the summer is good, but not a favorite. I'm beginning to wonder about the dark beers. DD and OS BOTH have discovered dark beers and LOVE them. As a matter of fact OS has visited several of those bars in FL that have hundreds on tap and looks forward to going to one every time he goes down there. I think I'm going to have to explore this further.
Daphne

Re: Guinness? Gourmet_Mom It's funny you menti...
We enjoy all types of beers, except don't care for any domestic lite/light beers... may as well drink water. Amstel Light is the best tasting light beer, IMHO.

I cook my corned beef in a dark beer, not necessarily Guinness though. Put it on top of carrots, onions and potatoes in my crock pot. Add a little extra seasonings besides the packet that comes with the beef, and add 1 beer and enough water to cover. Cook 9-11 hours. Be sure to let it rest before cutting. If you like, you can add the cabbage to the cooking liquid after you take out the beef, turn it up to high and cook it until tender.

Re: Guinness? HomeCulinarian We enjoy all types o...
Great tip on using the pan juices for the cabbage HC! I think I'll try that.
Daphne
  Re: Guinness? DFen911 Guinness, in my opin...
If the recipe calls for Guinness, then you should, at the very least, use nothing less than some other kind of stout, since it stout is so different from regular beer (especially the American concept of beer). Could you not even find one of the Sam Smith's stouts, maybe even their Oatmeal Stout?

On the other hand, if the recipe calls for regular beer, Guinness (or any other stout) could overwhelm it, so just use any regular (NOT "lite") beer.

On a personal side note: I can't stand the taste of beer, for drinking, but do like it for cooking (esp. bratwurst, kielbasa, etc., or beer-battered onion rings). Oddly enough, the ONLY beer or ale that I even came close to liking for drinking (though still not quite) was Guinness. Go figure.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Guinness?