We are thinking about replacing our dishwasher and gas range. I have been checking different brands on the internet and have pretty much decided on a KitchenAid Dishwasher. I have also been checking out the ranges and the many possibilities. First of all, I don’t have the space or the finances for a large professional range, so that is out. I would really like a dual fuel if I can find one in our price range. I would what you think about Convection ovens and duel fuel ranges and your favorite brands on the range and the dishwasher. I know we have a lot of great cooks, both home and professional, so I would really be interested in your experiences and ideas.
Shirley

Appliance Info smschwag We are thinking abou...
I recently went through your dilemma. After checking Consumer Reports, talking with friends, etc., I settled on a Kenmore Elite which was rated #3 by CR. First was a Bosch, second Frigidaire, and third was the Kenmore Elite. Also after checking with CR, "About", and a few other sources I settled on the Kenmore Elite Gas Range. Like you, I was convinced that a duel fuel [with electric oven] was the best way to go. I was informed by several sources that with the modern gas ranges the temperature of the oven is much improved and as stable in temp. as an electric; plus, single fuel is cheaper than dual. Also, by checking with the sales people, I found that if you aren't in a real hurry they have different sales with different percentages off. By waiting, I have saved over $600 at the semi-annual "Sears Friends and Family" sale [a total of 30%]. I had been talking with just one sales person and she invited me to this sale...it lasts 3 hours and you have to enter through the back door...hence the invitation only.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Appliance Info smschwag We are thinking abou...
This information is from Consumer Reports. Of course it all comes down to personal preference. I would have to agree with Billy on the 'duel-fuel' issue. For the added cost of duel fuel, you may be just as satisfied with an ALL GAS model and its performance. Unless you are an avid baker and are really set on an electric oven. I also added 3 links to the Consumer Reports charts on all four appliances for you to look at.

Ranges

Features that pan out

QUICK-COOKING SMOOTHTOP A high-wattage Power Boil element helped GE’s new $1,100 JBP81SL boil water faster than most ranges. But a $750 Kenmore boiled just as fast for less. Larger ovens, quicker cooktops, and speedier self-cleaning are a few of the features you’ll hear about as manufacturers woo busy cooks. Some features can slice the time you spend over a hot stove. But others promise more than they delivered in our labs.

One innovation that worked well is the new Power Boil element on GE’s $1,100 JBP81SL smoothtop electric range. GE says it maximizes pot-heating speed without damaging the glass cooktop by combining high, 3,000-watt cooking power with a special controller that keeps heat in check. Indeed, the new GE boiled water faster than all but the top-scoring Kenmore smoothtop. But that model costs $350 less.

You’ll also see the first ranges from LG, the Korean brand known for its refrigerators, washing machines, and cell phones. But months of boiling water, baking cookies, and broiling burgers in our test kitchen show that those relatively pricey ranges and several other newcomers face hot competition from less-tony competitors. The details:

“Biggest” doesn’t measure up. LG touts an “industry leading” oven capacity for its $1,300 smoothtop LRE30755. While the blue, convection-equipped oven was among the largest tested, five higher-scoring models offer similar usable space, four for hundreds less. As with other ranges, we found usable space to be less than claimed capacity.

More isn’t necessarily better. GE’s and LG’s latest smoothtops also feature six-pass broiling elements, which zig and zag over more surface area than the usual four-pass versions and are claimed to speed broiling and improve evenness. But 10 other models in this report broiled our tray of tested burgers at least as quickly and evenly for as little as $530.

New burner, high price. Bosch claims the new burner design on its $1,650 HGS715 gas range does a better job of simmering by directing the flame more efficiently. The Bosch was among the best at melting chocolate and simmering tomato sauce in our low-heat tests. But four other gas ranges did as well on low heat for less money.

New sensor, same old mess. All the ranges we tested include a self-cleaning mode, which burns off spills and splatters by super-heating the oven for several hours. Several Whirlpool Gold models offer a PreciseClean feature, which uses a sensor the company claims will clean only as long as needed. But both newly tested electric and gas models were among three ranges that scored poor at removing our baked-on coating of eggs, lard, cheese, cherry pie, tomato purée, and tapioca. The third in that trio: LG’s new smoothtop electric LRE30755.

HOW TO CHOOSE

Check our gas and electric range Ratings (available for subscribers) to see how the tested ranges boiled, simmered, baked, and broiled, and which offer a convection oven and stainless trim. Also check our gas Repair History and electric Repair History (available for subscribers) for brands that have been reliable in our surveys. Then keep these points in mind as you shop:

Consider the fuel. Electric coiltops still offer the most performance for the price. But electric smoothtops offer more style, easier cooktop cleanup, and, for some models, speedier boiling. You’ll need special cleaners to help avoid scratching their surfaces, however.

Gas ranges tend to boil more slowly, though their visible flame is easier to adjust precisely. Dual-fuel models meld gas burners with electric ovens, a marriage that has offered no benefits in our tests.

Support your cooking style. Expandable elements, five or more burners, and a large oven are important if you feed lots of guests or cook different meals for picky teenagers. But oversized, 12-inch elements are larger than most pots and are likely to be overkill, especially if you mostly warm leftovers and heat soup. Convection can speed roasting by forcing hot air around the oven, though its fans can cramp capacity there. And at roughly $250 extra, convection isn’t cheap.

Think twice about pro-style ranges. Those ranges are often at or near the bottom of our gas and electric range Ratings, despite prices that typically run $4,000 and up. Even the 36-inch-wide models we tested were outcooked by some ranges that cost a fraction of their price. Viking is among the brands that now offer such common conveniences as sealed burners and oven cleaning. But Viking has been especially repair-prone among gas models in our surveys.

Gas and dual fuel
Consumer Report Ranges - Gas and Duel Fuel

Electric
Consumer Reports - Electric Ranges

Dishwasers

Consumer Reports - Dishwashers

Buying advice Dishwashers
Models selling for as little as $350 or so can excel at washing dishes, but they may not measure up to costlier models in quietness, water and energy usage, or features.

Spend $300 to $400 and you can get a dishwasher that does a good job cleaning dirty dishes without prerinsing, but with a bit of noise. To get the best of everything-cleaning prowess plus the quietest operation, convenience features, water and energy efficiency, and designer styling-you'll have to spend $500 or more.

A dirt sensor, once a premium feature, is now becoming standard, even on lower-priced models. Sensors are designed to adjust the water used and the length of the cycle to the amount of soil on dishes.

WHAT'S AVAILABLE

Frigidaire, GE, Maytag, and Whirlpool make most dishwashers and sell them under their own names, associated brands, and sometimes the Sears Kenmore label. Whirlpool makes high-end KitchenAid, low-end Roper, and many Kenmore models. Maytag makes the high-end Jenn-Air, midpriced Amana, and low-priced Admiral dishwashers. GE offers a wide range of choices under the GE label and also makes the value-priced Hotpoint. Asko, Bosch, and Miele are high-end European brands; Bosch also makes Siemens models. Haier is an import from China; LG and Samsung are Korean brands; Fisher & Paykel is from New Zealand.

Most models fit into a 24-inch-wide space under a kitchen countertop and are attached to a hot-water pipe, drain, and an electrical line. If you have the room, it's now possible to get a wider dishwasher from Electrolux, although you'll pay a hefty premium. Portable models in a finished cabinet can be rolled over to the sink and connected to the faucet. A "dishwasher in a drawer" design from Fisher & Paykel and KitchenAid has two stacked drawers that can be used simultaneously or individually, depending upon the number of dishes you need to wash. KitchenAid also sells a single-drawer dishwasher..

Price range: $200 to $1,300 (domestic brands); $350 to $2,000 (foreign-made brands).

HOW TO CHOOSE

Our tests over the years have shown that most new dishwashers will do a great job cleaning even the dirtiest dishes without prerinsing, which wastes lots of water. But they differ in appearance, noise, loading, energy efficiency, and features. Here are points to consider when choosing a dishwasher:

Decide how many options you need. Adjustable racks and fold-down tines help dishwashers hold large bowls and other awkward items. But you may want to skip those features and pay less if you don't cook big meals or entertain often.

We also suggest thinking twice about half-load cycles, which allow you to wash just one rack. Running two half-load cycles can use more water and energy than one normal load. Half-load cycles that use only the top rack also limit your options, since some top racks can't accommodate dinner dishes or silverware.

Check quietness and energy use. New dishwasher models are probably quieter than the one you have now. But you might want the quietest models we tested if you have an open kitchen near a dining or family room, for example. You'll also hear a lot about Energy Star labels, which cite dishwashers that are 25 percent more energy-efficient than minimum government standards. We suggest using the energy scores in our Ratings, which are based on much dirtier loads. Most of the energy a dishwasher uses goes to heating the water. Water usage, and thus the operating costs, vary greatly from model to model. In our recent tests, water usage ranged from about 31/2 to 12 gallons a load. Energy costs to heat the water and run the machine could vary by up to $65 a year for the tested models, depending on rates in your area. Over its lifetime, a more efficient model could be a better buy than a lower-priced model that is less energy-efficient.

Decide whether a self-cleaning filter is a must. Most dishwashers have self-cleaning filters, which can add to noise. The Asko, Bosch, Fisher & Paykel, Haier, Miele, and Siemens models we've tested have filters you clean yourself. That isn't a big deal: You simply remove the filter and rinse it off, typically every week or two. A clogged filter could affect wash performance.

Don't get hung up on dirt sensors. Most dishwashers have deleted the bottom panel below the door, adding space for taller items inside and allowing sleeker styling outside. Dirt sensors, which adjust water use and cycle time to the soil on the dishes, are also common. Some sensors don't distinguish well between slightly and very dirty dishes, however, increasing wash time and water use even if the load is lightly soiled.

Use rinse aids and enzyme-based detergents. Both tend to yield cleaner results. Rinse aids reduce spotting, while enzyme-based detergents help dissolve food starches and proteins.

Keep style in perspective. You'll pay a premium for a stainless-steel tub, which doesn't spot and should last virtually forever. But plastic tubs should outlast most machines. Hidden controls are another stylish feature, though cycle progress isn't obvious at a glance. A good compromise: partially hidden controls, which show that the machine is running and often display remaining cycle time.

If speed matters, check cycle time. The normal cycle (including drying time) ranges from about 80 minutes to 150 minutes, but longer cycles don't necessarily clean better. In our tests, models with cycle times of about 100 minutes did just as thorough a job as others that took 145 minutes.

Consider the cost of delivery and installation. Installation can run $100 to $200 or more. Sears, which sells roughly 35 percent of all dishwashers, charges on average $105 to deliver and install a new unit.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Appliance Info luvnit [b]This information...
Of course, Consumer Reports is a paid-subscription site, and the above links will only show a glimpse of the actual information, and a request to subscribe.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Appliance Info labradors Of course, Consumer ...
Maybe I can make it easier:

Electric
Best for most; fine overall:

• Kenmore (Sears) 9641[2] , $750, CR Best Buy
• Kenmore (Sears) 9421[2] , $500
• Frigidaire Gallery GLEF369D[S] , $700, CR Best Buy
• Kenmore (Sears) 9611[2] , $580, CR Best Buy
• Maytag MER5752BA[W] , $550, CR Best Buy
• GE JBP84TK[WW] , $1100
• Hotpoint RB757WH[WW] , $400, CR Best Buy

Gas and Duel Fuel

Gas ranges:

• Hotpoint RGB745WEH[WW] , $500, CR Best Buy
• GE JGBP85WEJ[WW] , $850
• Frigidaire Gallery GLGF386D[S] , $1000

The Hotpoint RGB745WEH[WW] combines superb broiling and value. Paying more for the GE JGBP85WEJ[WW] buys faster cooktop heating as well as a warming drawer. The pricier Frigidaire GLGF386D[S offers convection for les than many gas ranges with this feature. If you want a range with two ovens for different meals, consider the Jenn-Air JGR8890AD[P], $2,150, and the Maytag Gemini MGR6775BD[S], $1,450, though both are pricey.

If you want dual-fuel or pro-style:

• Bosch HDS71[5]2 , $2000
• GE Profile J2B918WEK[WW] , $1700
• Kenmore (Sears) Elite 7946[3] , $1800

We've found that dual-fuel range have no clear benefits in our cooking tests. But if you want one, consider the Bosch HDS71[5]2 HDS72[8]2 and Kenmore (Sears) Elite 7946[3] for their fin broiling, the GE J2B918WEK[WW] for its faster cooktop heating. Note that we currently lack repair data for Bosch ranges. Our tests also show professional-style ranges to be poor value. But if style and size are priorities for your kitchen consider the Thermador Pro Grand PG366BS, $5,800, for its overall performance, or the Frigidaire Professional PLGF659E, $2,100, if you're willing to trade convection and oven space for a relatively low price.

Dishwashers

These midpriced models provide excellent cleaning and quiet operation:

• Kenmore (Sears) 1374[2] , $650, CR Best Buy
• Bosch SHE33M0[2]UC , $540, CR Best Buy

Both dishwashers are quiet and energy-efficient. The Kenmore has targeted spray jets. The Bosch has a stainless-steel tub and a slightly shorter cycle time, 115 minutes compared with the 125 minutes for the Kenmore. You'll occasionally have to clean the Bosch's filter by hand.

If price is more important than quiet:

• Whirlpool DU1055XTS[Q] , $350, CR Best Buy
• Kenmore (Sears) 1373[2] , $500
• Whirlpool DU1100XTP[Q] , $450

Most of the lower-priced models we tested provide very good overall cleaning. These dishwashers do not run as quietly and often are not as easy to load as some high-scoring models. All three of these Quick Picks offer excellent cleaning, but the Whirlpool DU1055XTS[Q], a CR Best Buy is a bit more basic.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Appliance Info luvnit Maybe I can make it ...
Thanks everyone for the insight and advice. I'll let you what we decide. It may be a while since it is still in the thinking stage. Does anyone have personal experience and advice on convection ovens?
Shirley

Re: Appliance Info smschwag Thanks everyone for ...
I have a Microwave/Convection oven mounted above my range. It was a life saver during a period when my oven was unreliable. It was great at baking everything I tried. Only problem was it is rather small, so nothing larger than a 9 x 13 would fit.
Appliance Info