I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to expand the "Tomato-Coconut Chicken" recipe for 2 to feed 10 people. Just multiplying by 5 seems too much, as in 5 cups of onions? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

making "recipe for two" for 10 people? tbru I was wondering if a...
WELCOME tbru!!!! Nice to see a new face around our table!!!

To answer your question, I can't---still waiting to receive my issue...anxiously!!!!

I'm sure some of our "pros" will be able to help you---you will get good advice here.

Hope to see you again--I can't wait to get my issue and, even if belated, I will be happy to respond and give my input....amateur that I am!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: making "recipe for two" for 10 people? Roxanne 21 WELCOME tbru!!!! N...
I am not seeing it??? What issue is it in? I only have the last two and only looked in the current issue...if I had the recipe for 2 I am sure with a little work I could up it to 10 for you...I just am not finding the recipe.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: making "recipe for two" for 10 people? firechef I am not seeing it??...
Welcome, tbru! We really need to see the recipe to be able to help you - I looked thru a couple of the C@H books and haven't seen where it is??????

"Tomato-Coconut Chicken" Rule of thumb for me, without seeing the ingredients, is use the 10 chicken pieces (if they are large enough to be one per serving, otherwise maybe 15 pieces), but sauce ingredients I usually would normally make 1 1/2 times - usually works.

But, let's see the recipe
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: making "recipe for two" for 10 people? cjs Welcome, tbru! We re...
The recipe is in the cusine for two book - on of the newer ones.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: making "recipe for two" for 10 people? cjs Welcome, tbru! We re...
Here's the ingredients for "Tomato-Coconut Chicken" (for two)
Cook:
1/2 C. long grain white rice

Saute in 2 T. olive oil; add:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 C. onion, diced
1 C. green pepper, diced
1 T. garlic, minced
1 t. red pepper flakes
2 C. tomatoes, chopped
Stir in; add:
1 C. coconut milk
6 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
1/4 C. scallions, sliced
1/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro
2 T. fresh lime juice
garnish with:
chopped cilantro
lime wedges

It's from the Feb. '08 issue...I will do 10 breasts, but not sure about the amounts for the sauce and other items. Would you still do 1& 1/2 times the recipe for the sauce?

Thank you!
tbru

Re: making "recipe for two" for 10 people? tbru Here's the ingredien...
I'd actually go out on a limb and double the sauce for this one as it is a sauce you are going to have a bunch of liquid "cook off" in the process of making the dish...

That's my take on it. Jean?
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: making "recipe for two" for 10 people? firechef I'd actually go out ...
O.K., found the recipe in issue #67 - here's what I would do. The sauce is really just to nap (not necessarily a 'part' of the dish) the chix, shrimp and rice. This is based on average appetites -
10 servings in ( )
(2 cups)1/2 C. long grain white rice - this will make approx. 6 cups of cooked rice, less than 3/4 cups per person, so you might want to go 2 1/2 cups)

Saute in (4 T./1/4 cup)2 T. olive oil; add:
(10 )2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper
(3)1 C. onion, diced
(3)1 C. green pepper, diced
(2)1 T. garlic, minced
(2)1 t. red pepper flakes
(6)2 C. tomatoes, chopped
Stir in; add:
(3)1 C. coconut milk
(30)6 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
(1/2)1/4 C. scallions, sliced
(1/3-1/2)1/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro
(4-6)2 T. fresh lime juice
garnish with:
chopped cilantro
lime wedges

- You'll probably have to do two skillets for 10, so I'd use 1/4 c (4 T) oil per skillet.
- I would cook the chicken until barely done, plate it and keep warm while you make two batches of sauce, one in each skillet. This will be much easier to work with.
- I'm thinking you'll end up with approx. 13 cups of sauce (allowing for cooking down), which should give you a good amount.
- But...play with the sauce, have an extra can of coconut milk handy and a little more garlic and/or red pepper flakes so you can taste as you're cooking the sauc and adjust the seasonings. Just play with it - it's a sauce that won't break, so you will have time to adjust taste.
- Add the chicken back into the skillets and baste the chicken for 5 minutes or so to get the flavors melded.

What do you think, LJ?
good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: making "recipe for two" for 10 people? cjs O.K., found the reci...
Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it. I will let you know how it turns out...cooking for a friend and her new Brazilian husband, plus our family!

sincerely,
tbru
  Re: making "recipe for two" for 10 people? cjs O.K., found the reci...
That is a little over double on the sauce so I would give it a go...

Good tip on using multiple pans...never would have thought of that. I guess that is why you make the "big bucks"...

OT-I had a friend that was from Brazil. He was a chemistry teacher until he came to the US and he couldn't teach due to some "educational technicalities" and ended up managing for a pastry/sandwich/coffee shop chain in the metro-Boston area. Really nice family...I have not met many from South America that do not embrace family and friendship as being an important part of life.
making "recipe for two" for 10 people?