I watched Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America, don't know if it was last week or the week before, but there were plenty of comments about his Tomato Cornbread. I have searched high and low trying to find it without any luck. Does anyone have one? His didn't look like it had chopped tomatoes, salsa or anything except maybe some tomato paste/sauce. I found lots of recipes for Tomato-Jalapeno/Tomato Parmesan [this one used Jiffy boxed mix as a base...yuk]. Hope y'all can help. It's either that or I start experimenting .. but who's going to eat all the cornbread?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please bjcotton I watched Bobby Flay...
I remember thinking when I watched that episode of Iron Chef that Flay used tomato 'powder' in just about every dish he made that night. I've not run across it anywhere tho - until just now

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/tomato-powder

tomato powder - "Tomato powder has a flavor so rich and tomato-ey you won't believe it, until you taste it. It's the sweetest red tomatoes of the crop, spray-dried into a fine powder.

The main reason our customers buy this product is for use when they need a little more tomato sauce or paste, but hate to open up a whole can.

Store the tomato powder in your refrigerator, where it will last indefinitely. While it will not spoil on your shelf either, it is very hygroscopic, and will clump or cake in an environment with even moderate humidity.

Once you try this tomato powder, you will be surprised at how many other uses you will find. If you make your own pasta, tomato powder adds a lovely flavor as well as color. This is very useful in the off-season, when fresh tomatoes aren't very flavorful. Sprinkle it on pizza, bread or salads for flavor enhancement. Add it to homemade French, Russian or 1000 Island dressing. The powder also can be used to thicken sauces, stews and gumbos."

For the cornbread, just add to the mix would probbly work? Think I'll have to get some of this also!

and here's a recipe using it -
The Second Zippy Red Dressing Recipe

This recipe comes to us courtesy of the "Spice of Life Cookbook" by Treva Davis (no longer in print).

2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup malt vinegar
1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons Nutrasweet
11 ounces low sodium V8 vegetable juice (2 small cans)
2 tablespoons no salt tomato paste, or pure tomato powder (tomato powder will be richer)
1/2 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder

Makes 2 1/2 cups

Combine all ingredients in a blender, cover and mix on the "blend" setting until smooth. Pour into salad dressing bottles. Will keep two weeks in your refriegerator.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please cjs I remember thinking ...
Gee thanks for the link on that! Wow - I can see a ton of fun things to do with that - there's a shopping trip in my future!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please Harborwitch Gee thanks for the l...
man, we can get in trouble around here so very easily, can't we?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please cjs man, we can get in t...
Yup!!! It's not hard at all. There's some serious potential for that stuff! Salad dressings, the pasta idea, baking, and .... boggles the mind!!

Ssssshhhhh - they also have white truffle salt!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please Harborwitch Yup!!! It's not har...
Thanks Jean, I ordered some of the tomato powder.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please bjcotton Thanks Jean, I order...

Would the Knorr Tomato Bouillon be a substitute or would it be too
salty?
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.

Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please mjkcooking [br]Would the Knorr ...
too salty - this product is strictly dried tomato.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please cjs I remember thinking ...
Thanks, Jean,. that does sound like something I should have in my cupboard. Let's hope I don't find anything else there.....

PJ
PJ

Re: Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please pjcooks Thanks, Jean,. that ...
I didn't even open the link. Too dangerous.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Tomato Cornbread Recipe Please, Pretty Please