This was discussed on another forum a while back and finally tried one (I have four methods to try) yesterday. How easy, how cheap, how fast and how tasty this is! I'm going to use it tonight on a pasta dish.

I saved the whey to use in a bread recipes someone on the site recommended, but I'll have to find it again.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Home made ricotta cheese

1 gallon whole milk
6 tablespoons white vinegar (Linda [the gal that used to like all of us] makes hers using lemon juice instead & that's what I used instead of the vinegar)
1/2 tsp salt (depending on your tastes) -- (1/2 to 1)

Heat the milk in a large pot over medium/medium high heat to 200º F.

Stir in the vinegar, then remove pot from heat, cover and lest rest undisturbed about 15 minutes. Line a colander with a clean kitchen towel and pour the whole pot into the cloth, letting the liquid drain.

Tie the ends of the towel together and tie it to your sink faucet. Place the colander underneath it, in case it unties and drops. Let it drain about an hour and then put it in a bowl and add salt to taste.

Be sure to save the whey for bread making.

-----

P.S. Just noticed C@H has a recipe for making ricotta also -
Whole Milk Ricotta
(Cuisine, October 1998, Issue 11, p. 25)
Makes: About 1 Pound Work/Drain Time: 5 Minutes/2 Hours.; Cook Time: 30 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

Combine in Pot:
1 gallon whole milk
1 t. citric acid
1 t. kosher (flake) salt

Heat slowly to 185°. Set aside, then drain.

Combine fresh milk, citric acid, and salt in a large stainless steel stockpot. Make sure the pot and utensils are absolutely clean.

Heat the milk over medium-high heat to 185°. Stir it gently every so often, so it doesn’t scald. Check the temperature after stirring. Sterilize cheesecloth by boiling it for 5 minutes in water. Line a colander with the cheesecloth. Place the colander in a sink.

When milk reaches 185°, take it off the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Gently skim curds out of pot and place them in lined colander. Gather two corners of cheesecloth in each hand. Gently rock cheesecloth like a see-saw to drain out most of the whey.

There are 4 corners to the cheesecloth. Gather 2 corners on each side, tie together firmly. This will form a bag that can hang. Hang the cheesecloth bag by its loops and let it drain over a bowl. You can hang it from a broom handle between two chairs, on a hook, over the sink faucet—whatever works for you.

Let the cheese drain for about 2 hours. The longer it drains, the drier it will be. Turn ricotta out of cheesecloth and use in recipes.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Homemade Ricotta cjs This was discussed o...
Jean, I'm so glad you brought this up. It's something I wanted to try and forgot all about it. Can you tell me where you buy citric acid? Would that be in a canning department? Or maybe the pharmacy?

Please post your results and if you think there was any difference in the finished product. Thanks!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Homemade Ricotta Mare749 Jean, I'm so glad yo...
I used to have it on hand all the time when I did a lot of canning/jam/jelly making. I's sure I got witht the canning things.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Homemade Ricotta cjs I used to have it on...
Since lemon juice is "citrus" wouldn't that work in place of citric acid??
Cis
Empress for Life
ps I bet this makes really good gnocchi! gotta try it
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Homemade Ricotta farnfam Since lemon juice is...
Yes, it would, I used lemon juice (first recipe) - I just found the 2nd recipe looking thru C@Hs.
www.achefsjourney.com
Homemade Ricotta