It took about 9 hours to smoke two 7 lb. pieces of pork, one from the shoulder, the other from the butt. Prep was very simple, we just marinaded both pieces in big bags with some "Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce" for about 24 hours, then early in the morning, put them into the smoker with a pan of water and mesquite chunks. Also put some red potatoes in there with them. After about 9 hours, the meat thermometer registered 170 and we took them out and let them sit for 30 minutes before slicing.

All I can say is this is an incredible way to feed a crowd. The meat was moist, delicious and didn't really need any additional sauce. The picture turned out a little dark, but I'll try posting it anyway.
[Image: FourthofJuly2008010.jpg]
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Slow Smoked Pork----Oh my! Mare749 It took about 9 hour...
Looks Delicious!!! Great Job! We love Yoshidas.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Slow Smoked Pork----Oh my! esgunn Looks Delicious!!! ...
Quote:

The picture turned out a little dark, but I'll try posting it anyway.

[Image: fourthofjuly2008010mk3.jpg]

Better?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Slow Smoked Pork----Oh my! labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Looks wonderful, Maryann!! Do you have a front-loading smoker? I have one that loads from the top (probably a 100 years old) and I just really dislike it. I think that's why I don't do much smoking. I just decided yesterday, I'm buying a new one - front loading - and get back into smoking again.

You just got my 'juices' going again to go get it!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Slow Smoked Pork----Oh my! cjs Looks wonderful, Mar...
Thank you Labs, that looks way better! How did you do that?

Jean, my smoker is the one by Brinkmann. It has an electric coil and lava rocks in the base. You put 3 or 4 chunks of wood on top of the rocks. Then there is a big drip pan that you can fill with water and your choice of seasonings, and two racks to hold food. Oh, and it is a top-loader, but has a door on the side for adding wood from time to time.

It's easy to use and to clean, but Ron said he might like one that loads from the front also. Can't wait to hear what you decide on.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Slow Smoked Pork----Oh my! Mare749 Thank you Labs, that...
Quote:

Thank you Labs, that looks way better! How did you do that?

There are many image-manipulation programs that could do it. For this kind of thing, I just went with one of the simplest: Picasa - a really good, free program from Google.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Slow Smoked Pork----Oh my! labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Yes, the one I'm getting is a front loader - I'm such a messy cook, I'm always black after working with the smoker I have now. The last of the company just left, I'm exhausted, so I'm off to a deck chair and my book for the rest of the day.

In my Grandmother's day, she went to bed for two days after company left....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Slow Smoked Pork----Oh my!